NHL Playoffs thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Longhorn_Fan68, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Longhorn_Fan68

Longhorn_Fan68 1,000+ Posts

Playoffs start on Wednesday. I, for one, would like to say: Go Stars!

2. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

The Stars are doomt!

This looks like it could be a great first round in the NHL.

I'm thrilled that Washington pulled out a playoff spot just so I can see more of Ovechkin.

Devils-Rangers will be a fun matchup, too -- NY won the first 7 games of the series this season before NJ won the other day.

Pittsburgh-Ottawa could be really good, too.

Basically the only series I'm not interested in are the 1-8 matchups.

3. RyanUTAustin

RyanUTAustin 1,000+ Posts

Wait, there has been a regular season?
    I haven't seen Barry Melrose all year...

4. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

LongHorn Fan, may I say how great it is that we finally agree on something. GO STARS!!!

5. Longhorn_Fan68

I think the series vs the Ducks will be great and if the team can play like just that - a team - then they'll have the potential to go far. If not it'll be one and done again. Here's hoping Marty can win his first playoff series.

6. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

7. CadetHorn

CadetHorn 250+ Posts

GO STARS

Would rather not play the Wings next round, but so be it.

8. mynametaken

mynametaken 100+ Posts

The Stars can't catch a break. They have to play the defending champs in the first round and then face Detroit in the 2nd. Every big time player they have brought in since 2001 hasn't met expectations (Turgeon, Guerin, Arnott, Nagy, Norstrom, and now Richards.) Meanwhile, the players they've let go went on to win the Cup (Langenbrunner, Nieuwendyk, Sydor). They then sign players to huge contracts before they've proven themselves on the ice (Turco, Ribiero).

I hope Richards pans shines in the playoffs. I always believe the Stars can win but they've got a tough road ahead.

9. DeepEastTexas

DeepEastTexas 25+ Posts

I would just be happy if Tippet could show signs of being a playoff coach, and not panic after every little setback. Against the Avs a couple of years ago, he changed the lines in the first period after Colorado scored the first goal! Relax Dave, it's one goal. Of course, the Stars were never the same after that.

And it would be fantastic if we could keep the lines together for an entire series. Having Modano play with a bruiser like Ott is border line criminal. Let him play with Lehts again.

10. vtaenz

vtaenz 500+ Posts

Whoa now it's a little early to call it out for Richards. Him with Hagman and Miettinen form a pretty fluid line. The Stars went 5 and 3 against the Ducks over the season one of those losses being in an OT shootout. In the scoring department over 8 games they went 24 goals to Anaheim's 14 goals.

Now recently the Stars seem to loose all semblance of an offense once the playoffs start but here's to hoping that at least their power play stays dangerous because the Ducks' defense will play sloppy even with their talented players. They take unnecessary penalties trying to make a point with their bruising style of play. Or maybe they need excitement because of their boring style of play.

Dallas' Penalty Kill has been excellent all season however all that means is that when you're killing a penalty you're playing defense and not offense and given history the Stars need all the chances on offense they can get.

This should be a great series so we'll see what happens. Go Stars!!!

11. Myrrhman

Myrrhman 25+ Posts

If Turco just comes close to duplicating last year's performance against Vancouver, and if the forwards will stop throwing the puck to the point before even LOOKING at the slot, then I like the Stars chances. As in Stars-in-6 chances. Big ifs, though.

And if the Flames and Avs can keep last night's successes going, I'd certainly take home ice over the Avs in round 2, thank you very much.

12. vtaenz

vtaenz 500+ Posts

I agree with you. Although ideally that Stars need to win this in as few games as possible. If this series drags on I think Anaheim will take it. I'm hoping for a sweep or in 5.

13. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

don't forget the NHL playoffs arent the same as other professional playoff formats. the seedings are reset after each round. if the 6 seed or 7 seed teams win their first round matchup, then the red wings(assuming they win their series) will play either of those teams(whichever seed is lowest)

14. Myrrhman

Myrrhman 25+ Posts

Wow. 4-7 on the power play. Turco's 4th shutout in the last 8 playoff games. I'll take that start. [​IMG]

15. vtaenz

vtaenz 500+ Posts

16. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

what a smart game by these guys. beat the ducks at their own game. can't wait for saturdya night. oh, and go flames!

17. Myrrhman

Myrrhman 25+ Posts

18. vtaenz

vtaenz 500+ Posts

19. Myrrhman

Myrrhman 25+ Posts

Agreed. Despite the many problems the Wings have given us throughout the years, Joe Thornton skating in from the half wall frightens me beyond belief.

20. TxEx99

TxEx99 25+ Posts

Ugh, no I'll take my chances with San Jose rather than Detroit. Marty has played horribly against them and well I know we can goad San Jose into stupid penalties just like Anaheim. Personally, I'm rooting for Calgary and we'll take the winner of the Minny-Avs series.

21. DeepEastTexas

DeepEastTexas 25+ Posts

Let's worry about the Ducks before we worry about who we will play in the next round. Anaheim was stupid last night, chances are they will play better. We just need to continue to play our game, and not panic.

The Power Play looked good last night, and Turco was sharp.

Hopefully, Zubov will be ready before too long, and we'll be that much better with his return.

22. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Can I just say how much I ABSOLUTELY AND COMPLETELY HATE THE AVS!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

23. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

agreed. although that game should've never gone to OT in the first place. ah well. they still have home ice

24. Myrrhman

Myrrhman 25+ Posts

Another 2 PPGs. Chris Pronger's rapid transformation into Sandis Ozolinsh continues.

25. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

or maybe they're cursed with bertuzzi....

26. Myrrhman

Myrrhman 25+ Posts

27. Longhorn_Fan68

Wewt! I've been in Denver/Golden/Boulder/Fort Collins/Breckenridge on a beer run of epic proportions for my buddy's bachelor party since last Thursday. I didn't get to watch the games, but I did see the scores. Hell yeah! Steal the two away games. Hopefully we can clench at home and get a little time off to heal. Great first two games, though!

28. Longhorn_Fan68

not a good first period in game 3 for the stars. hope they can get a couple in the second.

29. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

some great scoring chances makes me think this game won't be a shutout at the final, but they won't make up the deficit. would be nice to see a 2 goal to 0 3rd for the stars just to carry momentum into thursday's game...

30. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

you my friend are clairvoyant! game on. Stars need to win Thurs to reestablish dominance.

whoever picked the black shirts was stupid (can you say "it's a Tom Hicks organization?") needs to be something bright to make a statement.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]