Nice writeup of 1969 classic

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by ut1978, Dec 13, 2009.

1. ut1978

ut1978 100+ Posts

Very nice writeup of the 15-14 classic.
    The Link

2. J.R.69

J.R.69 250+ Posts

That was a really great article. Brought back many memories. My sister and her husband rented a set of bleachers, 3 rows high, from which to watch the game at their house.

You never heard such bellowing from drunken fools as on that memorable day!

3. CraigHorn

CraigHorn 500+ Posts

Thanks tons for the link. Great memories!

4. LonghornRon

LonghornRon 25+ Posts

Great write up. I'm glad the writer mentioned Penn State avoiding the Horns in the Cotton Bowl. The national media usually omit this fact. Along with Street and Peschel, I'd love to meet Bob McKay. In one article I read, Street said the reason that he went back to the sideline to confirm the play call with DKR is that he was afraid McKay would kick him out of the huddle if he called "Right 53 Veer pass'!

5. borna_horn

borna_horn 1,000+ Posts

I think the '06 Rose Bowl and '69 Arkie game are the two greatest games in college football history.

I know people like the '71 NU-OU game and the '84 Orange Bowl, but I just think the way UT came back in such dramatic, improbable fashion is what sets it apart.

I wouldn't trade either game for another "classic." We are damned lucky to be Texas Longhorns.

And who knows what the future has in store?

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

7. IB ROC N

IB ROC N 100+ Posts

Another reason the '69 Arkansas game was so notable is because 1969 marked the 100th anniversary of college football and our game with the Hogs was the last regular season game.

To commemorate that anniversary, I recall that UT helmets featured a '100' logo that we wore every game of the 1969 season.

8. SL_Horn

SL_Horn 25+ Posts

I haven't seen a replay of the game in a while, but I recall the score being 7 - 0 at the half, not 14 - 0 as mentioned in the article.

9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

10. kyler

kyler 100+ Posts