NIL & NCAA Conversation

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Vol Horn 4 Life, Jul 2, 2021.

1. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

I've eaten at most of them. For the Love of God, not Salt Lick. Marketing is better than the BBQ.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  2. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We'd better follow the lead of Notre Dame and Arkansas and get some juicy BBQ Joint $$$ deals for our OL, and fast. It would give us something to show the much-needed OL recruits.

3. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

And another example of why I'm against this.

4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Welp, it's the new reality--whether we like it or not...

So now it's keep up, or get left behind...

:bevo:

I couldn't stomach losing the top 2-3 Texas OL recruits to Arkansas over some (now legal) $$ and all the BBQ they can eat. Of course, going against Arkansas, Alabama, and basically anything East of the Mississippi, we'll have a big advantage in the OL recruiting BBQ wars.* Smoked brisket Texas-style over pulled pork slopped with sauce on a bun. And I'm highly confident that Austin area meat smokers can top whatever they're cooking up in South Bend, Indiana.

*what strange times we live in--"OL recruiting BBQ wars", who ever would have thought?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

North Carolina would seem to be our main worry.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Uh oh.

And they’ve got the best pure recruiter in the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Smokey Mo's

8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

:puke:

Sorry, I have lived in Lockhart for 21 years. I may have become a little bit spoiled.

• Hot Hot x 1
  9. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

No thanks, not only is the sauce vinegar based but it is usually pig pickin' bbq. Granted it is good but I would rather have Texas style BBQ with brisket and ketchup based bbq sauce, beans with onion and pickles, and bread.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Hmmmmm. Some of our Texas BBQ joints might ought to ‘step up to the plate’ :yes: and swing a deal with our OL. Would be good for business.

11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Next likely industry for NIL: supplements, muscle gain stuff, and overpriced specialty vitamins.

12. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Actually, I think the big money maker for them will be personalized merchandise, i.e. shirts, hats, etc.

I already saw a tweet of one of our guys marketing t-shirts with his own personalized brand...was it on this thread?

I think a way for those who aren't fortunate enough to get much would be to have the big stars autograph footballs, basketballs, or baseballs with all their signatures. They may go for a lot or not much but they could divy up the proceeds and give to the less fortunate players. This would build team cohesiveness and possibly make those who can't garner the spotlight less jealous and resentment.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

:arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up:
    That's a good way to spread the $$$, and keep the underclassmen happy. I like the way the BBQ joints in Arkansas and Indiana are paying the entire OL for the marketing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

check this out ...

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  15. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Them what has, gets. There are going to be new reasons to sign up with the big boys, it’s called $$$$. The whole affair stinks - just my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

In the end it's going to cause more problems than provide solutions.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

North Carolina launches group licensing deal for its own athletes

"UNC partnered with the Brandr Group to launch their own group licensing apparatus for Tar Heels athletes."

"This is an outstanding opportunity because it will allow our student-athletes to benefit, together, with our trademarks and logos – and to have more choices and chances to collectively benefit from their NIL," UNC AD Bubba Cunningham said. "I have long supported the group licensing concept because it can positively impact so many student-athletes. I'm proud that Carolina is the first program to support college athletes, past and present, through group licensing."

"In addition to putting money in their players' pockets, UNC is also cutting into one of the common fears of the NIL era, that one player would profit while the remainder of the locker room's pockets remained empty and their hearts grew jealous. This program will allow three or more Heels of the same sport or six or more across multiple sports to appear in "cobranded licensing and marketing programs with UNC's Intellectual Property.""

[​IMG]
    :arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up:

Recruiting wizard and innovator.
    Early signing
    Senior days
    HS coaching relations / clinics
    and now group NIL deals with the athletic dept.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

If we don't already have an athletics program NIL Coordinator (call the position whatever you'd like), we'd better get one, and fast.
    :bevo::bevo::bevo:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

That’s kinda what I have always proposed, that there is a group pot so no one gets all the bacon. But even then I hate that it’s come to this.

20. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Bryce Young hasn't started a single game for Bama and he gets almost a million already! That's insane.

This is only going to snowball. One million this year, multiple millions before you know it. Don't you know recruiting is now going to be; "come to Bama (or ND or aggy) and you'll make $$$$$, look at what Bryce made".

I haven't paid much attention to the details of NIL. Is there a limit to how much a single entity can pay a student athlete. Can what's his name at Nike pay top Oregon football players a million dollars?

• Hot Hot x 1
  21. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Getting strong feelings that this years season tickets may finally be my last. Sad. It’s always about the money.

22. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Businesses who could benefit from the Texas players better get their act together. The reality is this will impact College choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I think we may soon be seeing many Houston Cougars athletes on the Landry's (+Saltgrass + Joe's Crab Shack + ... , etc.) ads.

I wonder if our guys will soon be pitching Dell computers...? (or new cars in San Antonio)

24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If they are required to eat in those restaurants - NO!

25. Longbomb

Longbomb 500+ Posts

The real winners are the hot womens athletes who’s NIL is actually worth something independent of their sport. Many of them will make a killing on social media.

That’s the big lie in all this. Most of the mens athlete’s NIL isn’t worth squat outside of their affiliation with a popular university sports program. If they didn’t have the uniform, they would have no NIL value.

What basically happened is that it is now legal for boosters to bribe players to come play for their favorite team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yeah really.

New orientation for athletes:

1. Opening remarks - welcome to UT
    2. Campus orientation
    3. Meet the athletic staff
    4. Sit at long table and sign memorabilia for alumni who pay you $$$$$
    5. Lunch

(video of #4 above made to show future recruits what happens your 1st day on campus)

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

This is a big move - historically schools have guarded their trademarked stuff closely.

But with the arms race up and running, those schools who let their players hawk tire outlets in full football costume do have an advantage over schools who don't, as there's much more money to be made in endorsements with some sort of football tie-in.

We'll see if Texas moves to something similar.

But the pros can do endorsements now, and while each team has a few players who do ads, most of them don't have endorsement deals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Exactly. You just have to launder it through some sort of arrangement where they sign a few t-shirts or something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It’s a charade. Players might as well carry business cards with their photos around to give to fans and alums who want to give them some $$$.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

But players beware: the taxman watcheth. He’s sort of like the Eyes of Texas.

Better keep close track of what you receive $$$, talk with a CPA, and pay the taxes on it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1