No improvement on 3rd down

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Nic, Sep 4, 2011.

1. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

2. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

GC,

You keep asking for an answer to be given regarding if the other two QB's made similar mistakes would they be drilled as hard.

After one game, probably not. The point it seems you are avoiding (and maybe you aren't trying to) is these are mistakes GG made ALL last year, and is still making. So your question is slanted to favor GG (even if you don't intend to do so).

I don't think anyone posting here has said he did NOTHING right, in fact I for one, previously stated he made some nice plays. He is just too inconsistent in my opinion for someone with his level of experience and supposed talent. He may in fact be our best choice, but at this point even you must admit no one else has had an opportunity to display their ability more than a couple of plays, hardly enough to make any rational comparison.

I just think some, myself included, would like to have seen a series or two by someone else, during a meaningful time of the Rice game, for comparison. I think sometimes there are those who practice average, play gameday better.

All that said, I will trust the coaches to make the right decisions. They don't need my input, and I'm just stating an opinion.

3. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

4. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

5. djack

djack 100+ Posts

NickDanger,

It is easier to see open receivers in the upper deck than from field level. From TV orfield level may be a toss up. It depends on where you are on field level. Generally, I would say TV is the worst because you can't see the whole field except on the occasional replay and you don't get to see the flow of the play from great angles. Anyone who thinks they know open receivers from watching TV solely is full of it.

Hooky,

Simms was hated. Applewhite was loved. In ways, GG is similar to Simms. The hatred of Simms was personal yet those people did not know him personally. Yes, I fall on the side of these being amateur athletes and that they don't need continual brow beatings.

Applewhite was a player who could screw up yet never had fan pressure. Probably because he was viewed as an overachiever. Probably because he is 5 foot nothin, a 100 and nuthin. And because he got off to a good start. Perhaps he did win 5 of his first 6 games. That obviously did not include UCLA, which he was not winning had he started. That included pre-Bob Stoops OU. He had one of the greatest players in UT history sharing a backfield with him his first year. He had some other decent talent with him. What would have happened if Applewhite hit the field in 2007? It likely would have been a disaster. Was 2007 similar to 2010?

Again, I had no idea about Young's performance against Rice before I saw the stats. He did not dominate them passing. With 300+ yards rushing, I would say Rice would have focused on the run game, at least with in game adjustments, versus the passing game so the throwing should have been better. It was a similar time in their careers. There are not many 3rd year QBs who are consistently good. Had you cut Young's career off at that point many could have legitimately said he was a poor or mediocre passer. No matter the view at that time in his career, that was not his ceiling. Someone brought up the point that he beat K-State. Mock beat Tech by that same view and almost beat Wazzu. Maybe it would have been better had I left the name out of the discussion.

In that year of the Rice comparison, we went 10-2. That Rice team is likely not as good as this Rice team. And I bring this up because one game is not an indication of how the season will go but could show the possibility of how it could go. I am going for 10 wins this year. That was preseason expectation and my prediction based on the second half versus Rice. My expectations are greater than most so in no way was our first half performance versus Rice acceptable in my mind. If given the choice, I would prefer to have a dominating second half over dominating first half in that first game.

I was the one who brought up Carson Palmer's name back in the summer. He sucked by all standards in his first several years and ultimately won the Heisman. His conversion occurred when Chow and the ever overrated Paul Hackett hit the road. GD for Harson. No, I am not putting GG up as a Heisman winner. Possible similarity?

I have real reason to support GG other than he is the Horns QB right now. Generally, I hold out hope that those who get trashed on boards, in the stands, and in the media tear it up - Simms, Jason Glynn, Hodges Mitchell, GG, Gideon, etc. So sue me. These are all players who had shown a something prior to them getting trashed.

I am not saying GG is Young or that he will be. I am not saying he will win a national championship. I feel quite certain if he plays the remainder of this year he will be better at the end than at the beginning of this season.

GD impacted all his QBs. I have disliked his coaching abilities longer than just about anybody - at least since Tech in 1998. He really showed his lack of desire to attack the defense versus K-State of that year. Yeah, his first year. It could be passed off as Major's inexperience at that point. Colt was better in 2008 than 2009. For one reason, his teammates were not as good in 2009. The extras were worse in 2010.

So, GG has not had consistency in offensive philosophies, consistency in staff, consistency from his teammates. All of the things he gets criticized for have and are seen in many, many other QBs.

It is my opinion that it is difficult to judge his ceiling at this point. He will throw a pick, and he will get crucified for it. He will have a ball deflected at the line and will get crucified for it. We will lose, and he will get crucified for it. 2010 he was in a difficult position. He was in a difficult position in January 2010. He is in a difficult position now. I feel certain he has not quit based on his effort in the 2nd half versus Bama, he played hard versus A&M, and seemingly did against Rice.

Too long a post especially for those too convinced they have the answer.

6. borna_horn

borna_horn 1,000+ Posts

A lot of people had crow for dinner tonight.