No Re-Sale ?

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by 14tokihorn, Aug 5, 2015.

1. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

HornFans, I just haven't kept up. With Dad in hospice and the curtain drawing near.... He and I have always collaborated on season packages, because he joined the LF the year before I graduated (circa ~ '84) - we've been season ticket holders every year, since). He vacated his home in May, and I'm left with the monumental task of home-records and cannot find the paperwork received from this years ticket order.
    I've read posts, here on InTheStands from April http://www.hornfans.com/threads/early-bird-season-ticket-deadline-pushed.98555/, with at least one opinion (which make some sense to me): if you sell 'out of commerce', e.g. StubHub, then, without showing ID at the gate, re-sale cannot be be enforced with any level of validity. Will someone kindly respond with a condensed explanation of the re-sale policy? For example; Grandfathered?, points (perhaps)? Apparently, some ticket packages are exempt from the policy?
    I get a sense of a formula-bsed system taking into account cumulative LF donations against ticket-package prices (?) In our case, we never threw money toward better seats - we moved only once in '90 from nose-bleed U.West-side to U.W. chairbacks, 20 yd. line.

2. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Very sorry to hear about your Dad. Went through it with mine in 09 and know just how rough it can be! My deep sympathy.

As to ticket resale from what I understand, and I am not the expert so others can enlighten better, you must sell tickets at a price equivalent to face PLUS the allocated foundation amount. I anticipate many Patterson induced criminal acts, myself included.

Again, prayers and thoughts to you and family.

3. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for the thoughts, isn't it the case that cumulative donations are no longer considered by the A.D. on ticket policy? Seems that this item, is a partial panty-twister.

4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I believe that cumulative donations contribute to total 'loyalty' points but that is a different rub entirely from the resale restrictions.

5. BananaChipBettor

BananaChipBettor 100+ Posts

If you're not paying the full value (current donation cost + current ticket price) then you can't sell your tickets. Ex: If you have four tickets in section 2, the current donation per seat is $500. If you're donating less than $2,000, you are grandfathered, and can't sell.

6. BananaChipBettor

Prayers sent for your father and your family during this time as well.

7. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

How wrong that policy is has been discussed perhaps ad naseum but it is just so wrong I'm thinking there must be some legal beagle just dying to challenge it.

8. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Agree as to the suckage of the rule. I have attended one or two games a year since 1960. I never could afford season tickets and only purchased them before game day a few times. Never had to pay more than face and have never failed to get tickets. Most of the time I wind up sitting next to the person I purchased the ticket from. Thanks to all who sold tickets to a loyal fan for so many years. Looks like I will have to take a trip somewhere but Austin to see a game for the next few years. Sucks.

Old horn fan

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  9. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yeah just don't see how this gets enforced, either from me being seller or buying for relatives that come from out of town.
    I guess my basic attitude is once I buy the tickets and they are in my hands they are mine to do with as I see fit. Wonder if they are going to send them out one game at a time.....really not good.

10. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

Thank You, it made intuitive sense that any concept of 'cumulative' is not relevant.
    Am I clear, as long as your current donation is = or > that of the total, ticket-package-price (number of tickets), then re-sell has no prohibitions? Essentially, Bellmont wants to curtail profiting?
    My ignorance is entirely my-doing....always just remitted 1/2 the $ to Dad and he had a tax deduction.
    Oh, and BTW, I am in the camp of the loyal, bleed-orange camp; never profited from letting tickets go to friends and buyers.

11. BananaChipBettor

Online, it's pretty easy to enforce. Face-to-face, I am sure they will have a few sting operations setup, but it will be much harder to enforce. If they catch someone selling who shouldn't be selling, they are going to warn you the first time, and then terminate all of your tickets. They will void the barcode and you will just have a pile of a paper left.

12. BananaChipBettor

This is correct. As long as you are at, or over the current total value, there are no restrictions.

13. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Ok guys now you have me totally confused. Will it be possible to sell extra tickets in person outside the stadium?

I was under the impression they had to be sold through a resale company.

14. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

Enforcement / penalties are clear. Frankly if they slap, and bar me... had enough of the new 'genuine experience' of DKR-RMS anyway.

15. BananaChipBettor

You can still buy online or around the stadium. There will still be plenty of people who are able to sell their tickets.

If you end up buying from someone who isn't supposed to sell their tickets, that's not on you. The enforcement will be aimed at sellers. Everything I wrote in previous posts, is in regards to sellers. There is no way for buyers to know if they are buying from grandfathered ticket holders.

16. Win

Win 100+ Posts

I don't think they can' really enforce this policy other than online sellers like Stub Hub. I don't know how they can enforce on Craig's list unless they are responding to ads and meeting the seller in person or track where people are posting their ads.

I hope they don't go so extreme as to have people checking on sellers outside the stadium. They can hire people to do more productive things.

17. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

No resale was created to curtail profiting? That's the laugh of the year. There was no profiting to curtail from donors occasionally selling tickets, not even close. Resale of a Texas home ticket has rarely even seen breaking even in quite some time.

I haven't recovered face plus donation cost per ticket for a home game in at least a few years. With our tough early schedule and likely early losses, the same low demand will prevail again when donors can't make a game.

Don't let Patterson's savage agenda fool you with falsely noble claims. No resale has nothing to do with stopping the fictional claim of profitable donor scalping in Austin. That's flat out non-existent and hasn't been in years.

I've said it over and over, if SP would've dictated no resale after Strong improved to 9-4 in 2016, it still would've been a dick policy telling people what they can or can't do with something they purchased....but the reasoning would have some merit.

The demand for a Rice home ticket might have fetched a profit under a program with proven success. Rice 2015...good luck breaking even on your cost per ticket. Some people have yet to understand the detached motives of Patterson, it's just plain sad.

• Like Like x 1
  18. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

I think that the "No Resale" policy is more about Belmont being in competition with season tickets holders for unsold tickets.
    They probably knew season tickets orders would be lower and will have remaining tickets for all of the home games. They don't want be selling tickets for 85.00 and season ticket holders selling tickets for less. I couldn't give tickets away last year, much less sell them.

19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

This is just another classic example of Patterson not having a clue about what things are like around our athletic program. This will be my 45th year in my seats. Yes, I am grandfathered in. Over the years, I have sold extra seats, many of them on this website. I have considered myself fortunate to get face value for the seats, never considered trying to get any of the donation money back. Even in the good years, I would be forced to accept less than face value at least 75% of the time.

Now, I too am faced with a member of my immediate family fighting cancer. She goes to all the home game, a few away games, and OU. She will be facing chemo and two surgeries during the season. Yes, we shall sell some of our tickets. If that chicken **** son of a ***** wants to punish me for that, his attorney's fees will exceed $500,000, but he will receive his coveted press coverage on the front pages of the DMN, Star Telegram, Chronicle, and Denver Post, not to mention electronic media. I have already conflicted out The University's preferred defense counsel. My only regret is that Ted Cruz cannot handle the case at the appellate level.

• Like Like x 2
  20. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

It actually is the reverse according to the money grubber. He believes people are selling their tickets for MORE than face and that the profit being made belongs to UT since donors don't pay full donation value and faculty & staff don't pay full ticket price. UT is the one that has been undercutting their season ticket holders over the last several years by holding fire sales on tickets through the ticket office while fans are left with their tickets they can't get rid of at face

As far as enforcement goes Stub Hub is their partner in tracking the sellers down. I'm sure UT will do a little detective work on other sites. I would presume they would also step up enforcement of the existing rules which say you can't scalp on campus property. Given that they've said on their website they will revoke tickets from those caught doing it more than once; the only safe way to sell your tickets is to transact with family, friends, co-workers and neighbors who can always say the season ticket holder couldn't make the game and they gave the tickets to me.

21. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Total BS, as stated previously. What will be the policy now for Alumni Center and their sales of unused tickets? Sorry if has been posted already.