No SEC team scored more on Bama than us

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dude, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Dude

Dude 1,000+ Posts

All I heard about for a month was the level of play in the SEC and how the SEC defenses were the reason SEC teams don't score a lot of points or have flashy offensive numbers. Actually, I've heard about that for years now. Well, there are some good defenses in the SEC, but I find it interesting that the highest point total allowed by Bama was against a non-SEC team (VaTech). And somehow not a single SEC team scored more than Texas did with a backup, freshman QB.

Auburn matched us with 21, but Florida, LSU, South Carolina and Ole Miss didn't break 20.

So maybe those SEC offenses just aren't that great.

2. Vic

Vic 25+ Posts

with our true freshman QB.

3. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

i officially hate the SEC.

4. AstroVol

AstroVol 500+ Posts

But the other side of that argument is no SEC team with the exception of lowly UK gave up as many points to Bama as Texas did.

So maybe those Big XII defenses just aren't that great.

5. alt875

alt875 250+ Posts

6. TexLaw04

TexLaw04 500+ Posts

7. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

Maybe, but most of those points came when the game was already over.

8. charloscarlies

charloscarlies 250+ Posts

9. Full Flask

Full Flask 250+ Posts

Texas also outgained Alabama in yards. 276 to 263. The difference in points was entirely from turnovers.

I'm not so much sick of the SEC as I am the media hyping them as so much better than everyone else. Yeah, they have some good programs, but so does the Big 12. Texas and OU recruit talented players on par with Alabama and Florida. So does USC. And Ohio State is probably right there, too, or not far behind. So to say that Bama or Florida is better than Texas just because of the conference it is in is asinine... and just plain ignorant.

I was listening to Collin Cowherd today, and his answer to the whole "what if Colt hadn't gotten hurt?" question was to say that the SEC is 14-5 in BCS games, the Big 12 is 7-10. And because of that you can pretty much CONCLUDE that Alabama was going to win that game anyway, just because they are from the SEC and the SEC always wins.

Idiot. The Big 12 may not be as deep as the SEC. But Texas can match up player for player, talent for talent, with anyone in the country, including the best the SEC has to offer. Our conference may be 7-10, but our team, you know, the stat that really matters, is 3-1, with the only loss coming when we were without our best player the entire game.

And you can say the same thing about USC. Their conference overall may not be the SEC, but their personal
    record in BCS games speaks for itself. And one look at their recruiting rankings over the past decade shows you that they are not at a talent disadvantage against anyone.

10. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

Bama scored 7 meaningless points at the end..a spot where Mack would have taken a knee....we have seen him do this before. Bama was shut out for the most part int he second half. Also their defense got them 7 of those points.

[​IMG]

11. naphan

naphan 250+ Posts

12. naphan

naphan 250+ Posts

AL rushed for about 4.5 yards/carry in the SEC. They got 4/carry against Texas.

13. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

Alabama rushed for 148 yards in the first half and only 57 in the second. That's a defense stepping up and playing some awesome football.

14. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Trying to debate sports with SEC fans is futile.

It's like trying to teach a pig to sing.

It's frustrating as hell to the teacher --- and it really annoys the pig.

Imagine for a second that Texas had beat Bama last night.

Could anyone imagine, say, an Oklahoma State fan going over to a Bama BBS site, and throwing out stats about Texas as compared to the SEC?

Not in a reality-based universe.