No timeouts left, yet you call a timeout

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by KC-97HORN, Jan 2, 2008.

1. KC-97HORN

KC-97HORN 500+ Posts

whats the penalty???

expanding on my previous post

Just happened in the sugar bowl. HI is outta timeouts, Ga has the ball on the Hi 5 yard line.

HI players start jumping around calling T.O. even though they have none.

Officials temporarily stop the clock, reset the 25 second clock, and restart the clock about 8 seconds later.

There is NO PENALTY on Hawaii for calling TO when they dont have any.

How the hell is this possible?

Better yet, how can the defense be allowed to gain the advantage of a stopped clock to allow for either a substitution, correct defense formation, or make sure 11 men are on the field????

I suppose the reset 25 second clock is a bit of a penalty- *IF* time is a concern, but otherwise its just a freebie for the Defense to see what the offensive formation is going to be.

If there is no penalty, then the defense basically can call timeout every freaking play, see whats coming at them, then prepare accordingly, and other than an extra 20 seconds being run off the clock, its like water off a ducks back....

I think every other major sport with a limited number of timeouts has a penalty if a TO is called for and not available, how the hell can College FB not have at a bare minimum a 5 yard delay of game penalty for this?????

2. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Delay of game is what I've seen called.

I turned off the Sugar Bowl a while back and didn't see what you did.

Happy New Year!

3. bobtheking

bobtheking 100+ Posts

They're usually just ignored

4. TheSheriffIsNEAR

TheSheriffIsNEAR 250+ Posts

According to page FR-65 of the rulebook The Link , "When a teams timeouts are exhausted and it requests a timeout, the official should not acknowledge the request."

5. Brubricker

Brubricker 250+ Posts

Hawaii was so pathetic that the refs just didn't have the heart to throw a flag on them. NCAA refs get sensitivity training, you know.

6. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Or there's no such thing as a penalty for calling a timeout when they're all used. This isn't basketball.

7. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

It is the refs' responsibility to know they have none and not allow a stoppage.

8. HornOnTheBayou

HornOnTheBayou 250+ Posts

Chris Webber just realized that he picked the wrong sport to play.

9. simihorn

simihorn 100+ Posts

I was incredulous as well. Figured it had to be an unsportsmanlike penalty and the refs were just being merciful to Hawaii.

I also looked up the NCAA rules and sure enough. The onus is on the officiating crew to simply ignore the request when a team is out of timeouts. The official who stopped the clock because of their signals will be quietly reminded of this.

This is definitely an interesting rule and not one I'd ever seen before.

nice to learn something new.

10. Das Mook

Das Mook 250+ Posts

In the Nebraska game this year, Callahan asked for (and got) a play reviewed even when he didn't have a timeout. The call was confirmed and the clock stopped.

Does anyone know why / how a play was reviewed (and the clock stopped) by a team with no timeouts remainging?

11. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

I've always wondered why the rule in basketball isn't changed to do the same thing. If a guy tries to call timeout when his team has none, why not have the official just do nothing until he travels, has a 5/10 second call, etc, rather than call a technical?

12. Pancho Negro

Pancho Negro 250+ Posts