North pole to melt this year?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by hornpharmd, Jun 27, 2008.

1. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Some funny quotes from the first page of this thread:

• Like Like x 1
  2. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

I use this as a meta thread on Climate change happenings and research. There have been a lot of facts and graphs over the years.

Prayer might help but I'm more interested in what has actually happened or is projected to happen whether Prayer has occurred, influenced, whatever.

That last graphical diagram I put up last night was stunning to me that the relatively huge inputs of sustainable energy has barely made a 3-5% blip in the overall energy usage globally. Oil, coal, natural gas are here to stay or if not there is going to be a lot of underserved areas in terms of energy needs if that graph is accurate.

3. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

The price of those commodities at this point will surely make it economically beneficial to continue use fossil fuels.

3-5% of global energy usage isn't insignificant I'd argue.

4. mop mop

mop mop < 25 Posts

the truth is, even with 2015's relatively high temperature, we are in an almost 19 year long slow down of global temperature rise. In fact, according to the satellites, 2015 was not the warmest year on record. What follows this El Niño will be a La Niña in all likelihood. When that happens we will most likely pass 20 years of now statistically significant warming, all during the longest dearth on record of large category 3, 4 and 5 hurricanes to make landfall in the US. Has the earth warmed? Sure. Has it warmed as was predicted by climate science? No.

5. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Steinbeck, I am old. Never thought I would live to this long, not sure it is a good thing I cannot understand why anyone doubts that climate change is happening. A Good Nova episode on PBS about the Greenland Ice sheet, the Pederman glacier, last week. The scientist had evidence of the 10K warming period we are in and compare it to past warming periods. He was asked by the TV person why this could not be just a warning cycle like the past one his core sample showed. He replied that it was a good question. This one is different because of the rapid change in warming in the last 40 years and it was gaining speed rapidly, like falling off a cliff after being on a slope. He was a scientists thought and not a fossil fuel CEO, so what did he know. He is the one with an agenda, not the CEO.

I am old, and I agree with you. I have witnessed the change.

6. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

MOP, not trying to enter the disagreement, but your facts are in direct conflict with this.

https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/quickfacts/iceshelves.html

I woudl be interested in why. I think you have a good collection of data in this area.

7. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

BTW, Artic ice extent is as low as it has been in 20 years this season.

[​IMG]

Putin must be taking advantage of the low diesel costs to run his melting ships full bore. (sarc)

here is the graph including global:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  9. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-...-key-highlights-berkshires-2015-annual-letter
    Interesting stuff from Buffett, via zerohedge.com .

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is some data to suggest that sea levels have been falling for last 6 years

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some scientists had previously predicted New York City would be underwater by now.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

So 8 years later and the North Pole still hasn't melted. Funny how the catastrophic but time-limited predictions by global warming "scientists" are always incorrect. Yet, the skeptics of man-made climate change makes are labeled as science deniers.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Arctic sea ice now.
    Basically the same as it always is this time of year.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. mop mop

mop mop < 25 Posts

so a brief update on the recent months. We did indeed experience a "hottest year on record" according to the ground-based temperature data. Interestingly, neither of the Satellite based records show that 2015 was only the 4th or 5th hottest years on record. But let's say that the ground-based is correct. We spiked up to a new high during another super el nino like 1998. What was a "spike" was supposed to be the new normal by now according to the CMIP5 model projections. It will be interesting to see what happens next. In 1999 and 2000, after the 1998 Super El Niño passed, we went into a couple years of "cooling" before leveling out at a new level that was indeed higher than the previous decades. Will what was a spike last year become the "new normal" starting in 2018 or 2019?
    It should be interesting to see.
    In the mean time, we are still in the longest stretch of no major hurricanes to make landfall in the US in over a Century. Another way to say this is "the longest stretch on record" but that's because our records only go back to the late 1800's. Still, we constantly have to hear the same thing about Arctic ice even though we really only have records back to 1979 (so 100 years shorter than our hurricane data). But that's ok. I am fine with pointing out that 130 years is still a very short term "record."
    Otherwise...Arctic Ice is very low for the annual max. The fact that we are still in an El Niño officially means this could be a very low year for summer ice. But I have learned to not read too much into winter maximums. There have been years that were quite high that I expected to give us higher summer minimums and there have been years which were quite low which I expected to see lower summer minimums. In both cases I have been wrong. I guess we will wait and see.

And yes...I am the original "Mop" but somehow lost access to my account. Not sure what happened.

14. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

We can restore your old account if you want to. It's still in the system, just let me know what you want to do.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  16. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

ah! here it is...took a bit of digging.

17. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Good. When you had less than 25 posts, you were not making any sense. :beertoast:

18. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

oh thanks Dionysius! That was fast. I am back...feeling strong.
    Shame that the Arctic only had 4,000,000 kilometers after this summer's melt. That's only 5.5 times larger than Texas. We are doooooomed!

19. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Thirty Years On, How Well Do Global Warming Predictions Stand Up?

20. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

I am a only a chemical engineer, but I think I can understand the science and math. At least I can if you write really slowly and use small words.

There is now about 400 ppm of CO2 in the atmosphere. The baseline used by the global warming alarmists was 300 ppm. So the hysteria is due to the fact that the CO2 concentration has increased by 33 1/3% in only about 100 years, or 200 years or whatever the story is today. I accept that data as correct. The CO2 concentration in the air is easy to verify.

However, when I look at the difference in radiant heat absorption for 400 ppm, which can also be expressed as 0.04% versus 300 ppm or 0.03%, I find an increase in atmospheric temperature that is too small to reliably measure on a global scale. Yes I admit that CO2 will absorb more heat than N2 or O2, which make up over 99% of the atmosphere. However, there is not enough of it to make a difference that matters to anyone.

Another problem with global warming theory is that gas is invisible and is a very, very poor heat absorber. Yes, CO2 absorbs more heat than the other major components of the atmosphere on a molecular basis, it is still a really sucky heat absorber. If there is man made global warming, it is likely due to the increases in paved area over the last 100 years. Concrete, asphalt, and other stones are good at absorbing heat. You can tell this by stepping on the pavement with bare feet in the summer. When is the last time you got burned by hot air? Hopefully never, because otherwise you were in a fire.

So excuse me for my slowness. I'm not worried about CO2 in the atmosphere. I'm sure you and Al Gore will worry enough extra to take up my slack.

• Like Like x 2
  21. 4th_floor

One other thing; there have been predictions of the north pole completely melting since the 1990s. Al Gore's first movie claimed the pole would melt by 2012, at which point it would be too late to save us. Oh well.

22. 4th_floor

That's what the global warming scientific expedition to Antarctica thought when their ship got stuck in the ice in 2015 before they even made it to the station. Then the ice breaker that was to rescue them couldn't get to them. But don't worry. They were rescued by multiple helicopters and were able to safely abandon ship.

To paraphrase Bugs Bunny, what a bunch of maroons.

23. 4th_floor

Just realized I'm arguing with someone from 10 years ago. I guess I should look at the dates on a thread. Doh!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Bump an oldie but a goodie. :)

25. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, from 2008.

26. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I haven't checked recently. Did the north pole melt yet?

27. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Any day now!

• Winner Winner x 1
  28. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for that info. You know, I've got a job and lots of little stuff to do, so it's difficult to keep up with the important things sometimes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I'm with SN. It's hard to keep up with these things with family and work. Is this now part of the 18 month worlds end scenario or was it a precursor to the 12 year death and destruction of the world? Does this mean we have more than 18 months or 12 years to live? Not real sure how worried I should be.

30. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

One of my questions is, is the climate of Texas in 2019 any less livable than the one in 1899? What is life expectancy and mortality rate now vs. then?

You answer that and you know for sure.