Not Sure I Want This Group of Players to Sing the Eyes.

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Monahorns, Oct 3, 2020.

1. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

If that is what it takes to encourage a win then as a substitute for The Eyes I propose ...

And free Whataburger if we win without Overtime.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

What I've never really understood is why anyone donates anything to a university, unless you're aligned with them politically and want them to continue to be the indoctrination factory that they currently are. If so fine, may be a better use of your money than donating to a campaign.

Otherwise, they're a state funded education facility, that has terribly lacking oversight (can't lean too heavily on them in you're on the Board of Regent or if you're an elected official, if you want your C student kid to be able to go there).

They waste tremendous amounts of money on high paying administration positions, while more or less relying on slave grad student labor to do the actual work.

They raise costs at a rate 3, 4, 5 or more times higher than the cost of inflation. When I went to Texas in the mid 90's, you could go for 500-1000 bucks a semester, and a quarter pounder combo cost about 5 bucks. Only one of is true now. Why?

So, besides nostalgia in some sort of Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield type of way, why would otherwise smart, financially astute people want to throw their money away by donating to this, or any university?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Do you count the ticket donation among what you describe? Because I think the reason behind giving in to that extortion is obvious. For me it’s more than just that, it’s keeping the wife happy cause she likes our seats and hated the open market we used for years to get in.
    But I’ll confess this year with the political darlings is causing great angst, the likes of which not previously incurred due to seasonal losses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

For what it's worth, I also backed out of a $5M pledge to UT. But that was because I checked my bank account and couldn't even find my first million.

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

I don't blame you, I would do the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Givers should ask UT why should I give my money to a racist university? Doesn’t that make me complicit in racism?

7. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

If I attended a game, which I won't do now, I wouldn't sing it. But, that's because I disagree with how UT and the coach have handled all of this, so I don't have any warm fuzzy feeling and joy if I do hear the song now. As others have said, the song really encompasses what the university should be, and since this is On The Field, that's all I will say about it.

8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Moved to West Mall

Stay on topic or start a new thread

• Like Like x 1
  9. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Hope this is true. This is the only thing that will bring change.

10. horninchicago

Let's blame @Monahorns. Should have been on WM to begin with. :D

11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Nah it is Trump's fault.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Herman is tone deaf if he thinks fans and alumni do not matter.

Herman: "I haven’t gotten on anything other than Yahoo News. I know more about our President’s health condition and some of the celebrity gossip than I do about our fans’ reaction."

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

He’s done. The only way out of this was winning and he ****** that up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I agree, sadly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yep, he has said many ?? Things but the comment about no big deal not having fans at the stadium really struck me as careless and repugnant. Just like to be appreciated I guess.

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Whatever fond feelings or memories people have of their college days it is just another big business
    "But that's where I went to school so it's special!"
    No it's not
    P.S. I loved my time at UT and I'm glad I had that experience

17. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Isn't that what he's done? I mean, Patterson is a hell of a coach. Maybe the best in our league so there's no shame there. He's a guy that can beat you with his players and then beat you with your players. I figure he'll put lincoln over his knee in the near future.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

I kind of like that he gets in players faces when they screw up
    Seems like good old school football coaching to me, keep them accountable

19. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I read through this thread. That's what you do when you're a sooner and you're 1-2. That said, other than scrapping the Big 12, I think you're right. Since Mack left there has been a steady deterioration of Longhorn culture. You need to bring in a Mack to set the direction and have him bring in a coach to follow his lead.

I see similar erosion in the Sooner ranks. Trying to merge the mindsets of 18-23 year olds with that of the people with the $ is a tough job.

• Like Like x 2
  20. horninchicago

Um, aren't we having an unusual moment here of agreement? :ousucksnana:

Yes, Texas sucks against TCU and Patterson, and Herman is a crap *** coach.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Bubbs,

I see your problem being the retirement of Dr Boren. That event will cause the entire Big XII to suffer since Dr Boren was the glue and common sense that held things together. We had already accepted the fact that we had a sneaky, two-faced, underhanded piece of **** in our president's office. I sincerely hope that OU alums rally and bring in a good/great president, who will lead Bowelsby around by the ring in his nose.

FWIW, I shall, as I have for over a half century, stand for "The OU Chant", as well as "The Eyes of Texas".

BTW, does your hospital need any more orderlies? We have a number of football players with no skills that will soon be looking for jobs, and about to find out there are no openings for THEM in The Great Republic.

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

HIC,

You are much too kind to Herman

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. horninchicago

I think "Bubbs" is a good new name for Bubba. I like it.

• Like Like x 1
  24. horninchicago

Just trying to keep within the posting guidelines here lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Yeah. I was thinking about that when I started it but the issue was literally On The Field and about the players being the suck themselves not the politics around it.

26. horninchicago

Ha just messing with ya.

27. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

One loss and the fire the coach team shows up on Hornfans.

Hey, we haven't won but one national championship in the fifty years since I graduated. We are not the standard of excellence and haven't been except for a few years five decades ago.

Yet our fans keep acting like we are being cheated of our birthright by either the coaches or the players or the Sea People or somebody.

Saturday was a thrilling game, if you like football.

28. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

pre-Mack, we were a good(not great) fanbase. Mack did a lot of leader things that upped our fan game and he was great at leading a program. He wasn't always the best game day coach but the overall management of the program was great. We should bring him back for that skillset alone.

29. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Saturday was a ******* shitshow. Anyone who thought that pile of crap was thrilling knows nothing about football.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I didn’t watch, but I’ve heard and read that it was one of the worst games in recent memory due to refs and abysmal play. I was on the fire Herman way before though.

• Agree Agree x 1