Notre Dame fans

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NJlonghorn, Jun 18, 2022.

1. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

I’m curious to hear from those of you who are in Omaha. But from my vantage point on the couch, I found it refreshing to play against a program whose fans have self-respect and traditions of their own. At key moments, I heard a steady chorus of “Let’s Go Irish (clap, clap, clap clap clap)”. When they hit a home run or got a key out, they celebrated their success instead of taunting our failure. And when the cameras were on them, they waved green towels or pointed to Irish shamrocks and Leprechauns.

I saw a smattering of Horns down, but (a) not nearly as much as at other games (whether or not the Horns are playing), and (b) most of it came from fans of other programs.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  2. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo 250+ Posts

I despise Notre Dame.

Still haven't gotten over the Jan 1st 1971 Cotton Bowl where Joe Theisman led the Irish to a 24-11 win over top ranked Longhorns.

Ended our 30 game winning streak and knocked us out of second national title in a row... We beat them in the Jan 1, 1970 Cotton Bowl the year before.

Their defense figured out how to defend the wishbone that day for all of college football to see.

Now, after Friday's game...I despise them more.... and now that you call their fan's nice.. I despise them 10x more than I did before reading your post.

WHY DOES ND CONTINUE TO MOCK ME !!!

OOHHH the AGONY of IT ALL!!

• Hot Hot x 1
  3. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

I haven't gotten over the 1995 game (televised from South Bend, IN). In the telecast one could clearly hear the ND faithful cheering "Over-Rated!" (Clap, Clap, Clap-Clap-Clap) as ND pulled ahead to a 55-27 win in the 4th quarter. And it burned all the more because it was true.

And I thought, "well, things can't get much worse than that." (Obviously, I was not clairvoyant.)

• Hot Hot x 1
  4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

They’ve got the golden boy syndrome. They’re the chosen ones, and the media unabashedly favors them—to the point of slobbering all over them. Some who hate us say the same thing about the Horns.

I don’t hate Notre Dame. Just another really good high profile opponent.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I'm on record of despising the always over-hyped irish football from the late 60's. No point in going over my reasons that many of you would guess and agree with.

Agree with JB. I too, am not fully over the 1971 CB loss to ND & lowly Joe Theisman. ND developed a "Mirror" defense to stop the Texas Wishbone that day. Didn't help Steve Worster played hurt and hungover (longtime rumor) that day. Irish keyed on him as he had 150 yards on them in 1970 CB. Worster had 4 very costly fumbles that day IIRC.

Also attended a painful 1978 CB where Montana & ND beat #1 Texas 38-10.... Earl had >100 yards but earned every yard he got that day. Pass to Lockhart got our only TD that dreadful day...

We had 'em beat in Austin in 1996... lost last second on a FG ~ 27-24 IIRC.:angry: :angry: :angry:

Those games were very painful.

Fornicate the irish!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

1977/ 1/1/78 is the one that I can't forget. Our O line was totally manhandled, Earl had to shed 3 guys to get a yard.

I still think we would have had a better shot if Lance Taylor hadn't have been hurt. The defense just wasn't the same without him. The D gets some stops, we would have fared better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Horn2RunAgain

9th inning I think it was, a Longhorn fan caught / retrieved the home run ball, flipped it to an Irish family dressed up in ND gear. The ND dad gave our guy a thank you gesture, then handed the ball to his kid. Thought that was a cool moment. Obviously not obnoxious nd fans

• Like Like x 3
  8. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo 250+ Posts

Thanks Worsterman for filling in the painful gap between 1971 and present!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Horn 2
    Nice moment
    Contrast to end of aggy game.
    Foul ball into stands, adult aggy catches it
    Announcers talk about tradition of giving it to kids
    Adult aggy sits down and keeps ball.Announcers shut up
    Clearly being classy is not part of aggy tradition

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  10. WorsterMan

Hope the Irish baseball fans stay mostly classy during the CWS.

Also hope we beat loathsome aggy on Sunday and get a second shot at the domers!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. WorsterMan

Sorry.... a little bit, for going football on a baseball thread...

BUT, LB Lance Taylor was THE MAN on that awesome 1977 Defense. Many of us agree with you - Lance out of the lineup vs. Irish was a HUGE factor in the CB vs. the irish.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Horn2RunAgain

Can't tell you how many times I've seen aggy fans /alums make asses of themselves in a public setting like that. Their fan base during the Sherrill years were especially assholish. That era was hard to take. Boorish behavior at every turn.

When I was a freshman I didn't have a particular dislike for the ags. That changed 10 yrs later.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WorsterMan

Over + 50 years I've been around many good, decent, educated aggy fans, some are friends. BUT the Lion's share share I have been in contact with are flaming AH aggys!

14. WorsterMan

Nevertheless, kick aggy *** to the CURB on Sunday!

:hookem: :hookem: :hookem:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Well, if Miami had made it, they would have brought a whole nother level of class to the event.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I have also known many good, decent people who happened to attend aTm. But none of them are good, decent sports fans, and the ones who start off not being good, decent people? It only gets worse when sports are in question.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

It took you 10 years to become a sophomore?

• Funny Funny x 6
  18. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

Made my first ever trip to Omaha with my adult son for game 1. Neither fanbase seemed to be out in force but more ND fans. Other than a few teenagers down horns, the adult ND fans all seemed nice. Even the drunk ones in the outfield section.

• Like Like x 1
  19. HomeBrewHorn

HomeBrewHorn 100+ Posts

Wife and I have been here since last Thursday. We have interacted (and drank a lot of beer) with many fans from every team. All of them have been pleasant and all of them except aggie fans have been respectful of Texas' baseball history and connection with Omaha. The one single common denominator that we have run across all week is that every fan base we spoke with absolutely hates a&m, especially those in the SEC. Adjectives we heard during the week used to describe aggie fans were "********, think they own the place when they've done nothing, they have no skins, freaks, wierdos, children, kindergartners....." and that is just a sampling. And the locals that go to the games and even those that don't, like store clerks, were even hacking on them as we went thru checkout lines in our Texas gear. I had one Omaha local tell me they wished the CWS was just Texas and LSU every year and that they pray the aggies never get back here. Been an interesting week for sure but also told me a lot about how the rest of the country views us relative to our little, maroon brother.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

If I was a coach of a big name program like ND (I realize that's mostly football but c'mon the brand extends to baseball), I'd require my players and ask the fans to focus on us not the opponent. We're supposed to be the bigger name so don't lower us to them. All of this is to say, I'd never get hired at blowU or aggy.