Notre Dame opening

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LHABSOB, Nov 29, 2021.

1. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

TH lost his job more because he was a dick head than W/L. We didn't need another. I still think Sark can right this ship. He may need a new DC. Time will tell. He's a hell of a play caller. I look at this season pre and post thumb injury. Casey was just not the same and then the wheels fell off. But we were in each of these games except ISU and Arky. Next year we need better play and a little luck. We're do some close wins.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Seems like Coach Kelly is a ready-made villain.

3. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

We'll re-package Urban as a reptentant sinner. Have him discuss his commitment to clean and healthy living. And how Notre Dame changed his life. Working title: Urban Reform.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

You guys don't think this is funny? Not even a little bit? :smile1:

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Isn’t zero the number of national championship that Kelly and Sark have won? The same number.that Riley and Florida’s new, and old head coach have won.. If that is your metric, the fired LSU
    should be a hot commodity.

For that matter, I think LSU screwed up.
    Baylor’s head coach should have been their choice.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

WINNER!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Yes it is. BK seems like the football equivalent of Judge Smails from Caddyshack. Him and Saban will make for interesting rivals. Kiffin and Leach too.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. SteveInAustin

SteveInAustin 25+ Posts

I think that Sark would have been able to turn Texas around to play in the Big 12. He would probably have Texas competing for a conference championship most years. But Texas is not staying in the Big12. Texas is moving to the SEC. I don't think Sark will be a good head coach in the SEC. He was a great OC at Alabama for 2 years, but his head coaching stints have been iffy. I don't think he will ever be able to get Texas to a top SEC team. Mediocre at best. Probably more than likely toward the bottom.

I am really starting to doubt the logic of moving to the SEC. I think it will be a long time before Texas will be able to compete in the SEC. Why leave a conference where you are 1 of the 2 big dogs, for a conference where you will have to scratch and claw just to be mediocre? The best scenario in college athletics is being the big dog in a mediocre conference. Texas had that. Now, in the SEC, Texas will be one of many.

Oklahoma is probably also having regrets about going to the SEC.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Sounds like Kelly must be from the Bellicheck family tree of coaching

10. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

It was never about competing, it was about money. Texas and OU got tired of financially carrying the rest of the little 12 schools.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  11. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

We've won 3 conference titles in the last 25 years. I don't think the Big 12 has been a good fit for us. At all.

• Hot Hot x 1
  12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

That record of futility is on us, not on the other members of the conference.

13. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

I agree, it's about us. Specifically: is the Big 12 a good fit for us? The track record of 3 conference titles in 25 years is a resounding NO.

Mind you, this stretch overlaps one of the golden eras (98-09) of our program. The Big 12 was a shotgun marriage. Totally made on the fly. It was never intended to be a forever, or even long-term, home for us.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  14. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

LHN was going away regardless. They had to replace that money and so off we went.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

I get your point but it is bizarre to think of the Horns as a "big dog" when we have won the conference title three times in 25 years
    Even the 2005 natty is a faded memory for non-Texas fans
    I'll try to be optimistic about competing in the SEC though

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Looks like Lincoln Riley was not high about going to the SEC.