Now That Was Fun

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by texexted, Jan 26, 2013.

1. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Wow. It's been a long time since we saw a dominant conference win. Fun to watch. Great second half and so good to see the team play well. Seeing them enjoy themselves is a good reminder that this is supposed to enjoyable. It was a good reminder for me too.

Still too many turnovers but yet, there were smart passes into the paint. Rodrigo well although she missed a couple of must-have shots. But she seemed to see the floor better. Fussell is still struggling to shoot but she made smart passes. Sanders hit a great three and was so pumped up as she transitioned back to defense. That was cool. I love her enthusiasm.

Enemkpali and McGee-Stafford were a fantastic duo today. You could see them talking and laughing -- really playing well together.

Davenport was choked up afterwards -- I thought it was because of the win but then noticed several players were waving at and cheering Cokie, who as in the stands and looked beautiful. I'm sure it's tough for her not being with her teammates/friends.

It was also nice to see Coach Aston smiling during her post-game interview. She deserves to enjoy this one. She said this is where they wanted to be in February -- with players back and ready to compete. I'm sure she didn't mean they wanted to be riding a record losing streak but I got her message.

Nice job Horns.
    [​IMG]

2. sportstalkfran86

sportstalkfran86 First Time Poster

Yes, it wuz fun!

Just stop by to remind us all - supporters and detractors -- that the journey to a championship caliber team starts with a solid foundation. This team's starting to put all the pieces together - the inside game, the outside game - and I ain't talking about posts and guards but rather the mental and physical aspects to being successful at this game.

I've seen some - how shall I say? -- interesting banter on this board. Let's acknowledge that it takes soooo many things hap'nin at the same time to be successful at this level. I'm often frustrated when the fans don't understand that and instead choose to bash our coaches - none of whom --past or present - are without merit for the success and yes, fault for the failure of their teams. And lest we forget, the players actually PLAY the game - so we can never be let off the hook even if message board guidelines dictate no bashing of them.

I coach Division 1 bound players in the summer and trust me, just b/c the offense looks jacked up doesn't mean players haven't been told what to do or prepared for battle. A coach can yell til she's blue in the face, "Cut! Penetrate the zone!" Doesn't mean the player's always going to do exactly as told.

Wonder what these boards woulda been like during our run to our 34-0 season. Especially the year before when we shoulda, coulda, woulda. Ya'll probably would've blasted us too. I so wish the Internet as it is today, had been around in the 80s.

Easy to be a keyboard gangstah...and just sit back and share one's infinite wisdom about what happened and what needs to happen to win here. Hard for some folks to accept that so many things hafta come together at the right time...you gotta be healthy, you gotta have the right balance of chemistry, gotta have effective leadership on the court and in that locker room...and trust me the list goes on. Frankly this team - like every team in America -- has some issues. None insurmountable but nevertheless, some issues...it's obvious. And as much as message board aficionados would like to believe differently - most of this team's issues are not wearing street clothes on game days.

Nevertheless, encouraged by what we all saw today - a team that actually looked like they were having fun while playing their guts out. A team that listened in time out huddles - then went out and executed. And best of all from this orangeblood, a team that had pride in those five letters across their chest.

The fans were engaged (thank you) ... and having the exes in the house was simply icing on the cake. We're proud of where this program is headed and like you, look forward to the return of a competitive Texas...then a contending Texas...and ultimately, a championship Texas.

Hooked For Life!
    FH

3. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG] Horns are starting to r-r-roll!!!!! [​IMG]

4. outlookdude

outlookdude 250+ Posts

Thanks for the comments, Fran.

5. txex86

txex86 100+ Posts

6. hornsgeek

hornsgeek 100+ Posts

Where's the 'like' button? Thank you for sharing your perspective.

7. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

Thank you, thers's nothing like expert words from a true champion. I sure hope some of the negative ninnys on this board heed your words and can keep their fingers in check. Today the team showed they can put together a complete game and the results were stunning! Thanks again for being the voice of reason.

8. LLHFan

LLHFan < 25 Posts

Thanks fran for the insight and dose of reality. Good win and a solid foundation is being built.

9. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Good to see you post Fran.

I think sometimes people are overly sensitive to anyone who criticizes coaches and God forbid, players. I'm pretty sure the coaches can take it.
    No doubt the players can too. It's D-1 basketball, not YMCA basketball.

These fan forums exist because of gangsta coaches/analysts like us. I just can't understand why no one wants to pay to hear my analysis (smile). It's always fresh and insightful and of course, entertaining.

The fact is most fans know better than the coaches who make a living coaching the sport. We know why a team is losing and what must change in order to start winning. We can diagnose the problems and offer remedies for success. We see the stuff during 40 minute games coaches obviously never see during hours and hours of practices. We are the real experts.

I can't hit a layup and would likely lose almost every game of "Horse" but I'm certain I know better than Coach Aston about how to run a team. I'm not sure why she never asks my opinion -- I find that odd. I also always know better than the refs and will quickly and loudly point out unwarranted personal fouls. It's weird they never listen. And I love to call out what plays the team should be running from my comfortable seat in the stands and always know my uncalled play would have led to sure success.

It's what I/we do as fans. It's part of the game.

On days like today we all get to enjoy a victory -- the real fans like me and the other fans who don't agree with my opinion.

Of course, we'll be ready to pounce on each other, the coaches and the team if things don't go our way next Saturday.
    [​IMG]

10. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

11. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Watching the team play and win today was great fun. Seeing the happiness of the players at the end of the game - priceless!

12. cmtsip

cmtsip 500+ Posts

AUTOMATIC.....where you been, Fran? Great to hear your insight. Refreshing to hear from someone on this board who knows of what they speak! Enjoying you on the LHN!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

W's sure have a way of making most fans feel better.

Great game Horns! Now let's go get us another one.

14. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

^^^^^
    oink oink oink
    [​IMG] the nut job [​IMG]

enjoy your bowl of CROW!! [​IMG]

15. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Oh Rexy. Come on and admit it. You too are guilty of pouncing. Own it - there's no harm, no foul. [​IMG]

16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Defintely good for everyone to get that first conference win.

Not sure how "dominant" it was (I didn't get to see it on LHN) as they were down 22-13 from what the writeup said. Still, they picked it up and went on a decisive run in order to gain separation and cruise to a comfortable win.

Glad to see the turnovers were under twenty; surprised that it was Imani and Nneka who accounted for 8 of them, and not necessarily the guards who were being careless with the ball.

Didn't see Sara Hattis in the boxscore; hopefully that was simply because Imani and Nneka were playing well and staying out of foul trouble. Would hate to see Hattis added to any kind of injury "list".

While having a former player, coach, and TV/radio commentator providing their insight on here is great, that doesn't necessarily mean that other posters' insight aren't equally beneficial (depending on your point of view).

17. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

18. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

19. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

20. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

23. txex86

txex86 100+ Posts

24. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

25. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

26. outlookdude

outlookdude 250+ Posts

A 20 point win is good, no matter how you get there. What was dominant was the Texas post play. You could argue that it should have been dominant because of a size advantage. But, the truth is that it is the first time in years I have seen a Texas team actually use a size advantage to dominate inside. You still have to do more than just show up. That was a true sophomore and a true freshman taking passes from mostly very young guards. That is something that you can build from. If they will go forward making other teams stop that inside game I bet guards suddenly become better shooters.

This is not a signal that everything is fixed. But it is certainly worth a big smile. Basketball is hard work, and it is also still a game. It should be fun, for the players and the fans. I plan to enjoy that win, and I can have fun the remainder of this season watching a team that plays like the one I saw last Saturday.

27. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

28. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

weak. the joke is on you nut. [​IMG]

29. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Am I the only one with no idea what the LMAO is directed at?

30. AustinBoston

AustinBoston 25+ Posts

No, you're not.