Now We Know: Aston is Out

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by GameOfHorns, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

And trust me.....it's equally as rewarding to look forward to what will hopefully be a competent coach, and to see those who blindly heaped praise on her irrespective of her obvious shortcomings, ineptitude at times, and mediocre results based on the talent she had finally be silenced. The facts are there....her recruiting had and would have continued to fall off and her results were not going to get better...only worse. Pointing those things out has NOTHING to do with hate.... I'm excited about the future and hopefully we will all be excited about the new hire.. However, for right now, I wish everyone good health and safety.....

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

It'd be even nicer if we just stopped having scathing, hateful diatribes regardless of who the coach is.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

I get the gist of the article. But it was much more than just Baylor. It was losing to Hawaii, Kansas, Kansas State, TCU, South Florida and the likes who have way less talent than Texas that got old and tiring.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I find it mildly interesting that as of 2 pm today, Aston has not issued a formal departure communications. I realize that yesterday was raw and probably still is today; however, if she doesn't say "something" later today then it opens up questions of how it came down. Typically nothing is really revealed in player transfer announcements or these coaching change communications. However, it will be interesting to see what Aston says. Or has she already issued one and I just missed it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. HnH

HnH 100+ Posts

Mechelle is a skilled writer but she can be very superficial and reductionist. This latest article is a prime example of that.

Beating Baylor should be neither the ultimate goal nor the definition of success. Will it be a byproduct of success? Hell yes. Obviously, if we're getting blown out regularly by any team and only beating them in 1 out of 20 tries, that's a sign that we haven't arrived yet.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Let’s hope that CDC decided to fire her because of the other things. Firing a coach solely for not being able to beat one team is very dangerous.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not true - Alabama/Auburn; Texas/Oklahoma; Michigan/Ohio State; Nederland/Port Neches

Baylor/nobody - Baylor does not equal "rival" to anyone

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

There are millions of examples of coaches (even fairly successful ones) getting fired for not being able to beat one particular team. Especially if that team is in your same division/conference. Because that same team often bars you from winning conference titles and ultimately national titles.

If a coach is not in contention for a conference title regularly they will always be in the hot seat at Texas. Shaka is the only one who has thus far survived it, and it’s because of a double standard it’s because of money plain and simple. If Karen was owed millions, I have no doubt that she’d be returning as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Then that would mean that the entire conference should fire their coaches on both the men’s and women’s side in the big 12 since Baylor and Kansas basically win the conference every year most of the time without any loses. Like I said, let’s hope it was the combination of things.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I wonder how long it's going to take to hire a new coach. Given these circumstances I wonder if CDC is looking to hire a coach immediately like as of next week or will this search take some time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Expectations are different on the 40. Coaches know that and players know that. No one comes into this blind. When you’re relegated to “also ran” status @ Texas is going to be time for a change. ESPECIALLY when a coach is at the end of a contract.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

For sure. I really think the softball program is what really put these expectations in action because it shows if you can't win then CDC will find someone who can. Mike White turned the program into the best in the nation in 1 season at Texas. That goes to show nobody's job is safe and if you can't get it done then someone will gladly step in.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

They maybe different but are they realistic. ESPECIALLY a program that hasn’t been consistently great in 30+ years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Mike White had the benefit of the softball rules that allowed 3 of his best players from Oregon to follow him and play right away. That just doesn’t happen in basketball.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

No, “if”...we are losing 4 or 5...and several of the best...:brickwall:

16. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Welp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

I recall a similar prediction by you that Karen Aston would remain the coach, and well.....we see how that turned out!!! Like I said, it is going to depend on WHO they bring in and if they can connect and persuade everyone or most to stay!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. HnH

HnH 100+ Posts

Not yet, but that's fixing to change.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

That may or may not happen tell next year with meetings about it being pushed back. And even then if 3 players do follow the coach will one be maybe the best player in basketball like Elish is in softball and the other 2 very good as well?

• Like Like x 1
  20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Well, I guess we will see... I mean now that Vic Schaefer has been hired and all. :popcorn:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Well, I can say brnkj that you and bobcat, and Moooo have been right and I’ve been wrong on just about everything regarding this coaching situation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  22. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Bro don't worry about that... Let's all get excited together again. We have had some differences of opinions and some not, but we all love our program and want it to be where it belongs... perennial Top 10. No harm, no foul man.
    :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

What a difference a new coach can make! lol

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

What a difference the RIGHT coach makes. :beertoast:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  25. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

What a difference having something to look forward to makes. :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  26. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Here is the bottom line my friend..... EVERY SINGLE PERSON on this forum wants to see Texas WBB succeed. I believe that. I've been driving back and forth from Dallas to almost all home games since 1996. I've invested alot of time and money into supporting this program, and like so many, I want to see us be successful. We may vehemently disagree on some things, but our collective desire to see this program succeed is shared by all of us. This is a home run hire, and I for one am ECSTATIC.... We ALL have something to really be excited about my friend and even if we disagree at times, I certainly appreciate the passion and support of Texas WBB by EVERY SINGLE PERSON....

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

Home run hire for sure. This hire proved it was time for a change.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Still no public statement from Aston.
    :idk:

29. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

do we really want to hear one? Texas spoke and elected to move on. :hookem:

30. HnH

HnH 100+ Posts

It's not at all unusual for a dismissed coach to give no statement.

Meanwhile, Imani posted this nice tweet:

• Like Like x 3