NSD II - RevolUTion18

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by LonghornCatholic, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Horns R Back

Horns R Back 250+ Posts

Read somewhere that the sheephumpers told Vernon Jackson he could commit as a running back and then they proceeded to sign 3 backs. Dont know if thats true but I hope the kid commits to the Horns.

• Like Like x 3
  2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 2
  3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

My guess is that Texas is saving two ships for the rice grad and an OL juco. As such they had to wait out decisions of Bush, Parker, Keys etc. Now they are pushing for Jackson.

4. Horns R Back

Horns R Back 250+ Posts

5. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

We can’t have communication with unsigned recruits, correct?

6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

No in person visits

• Like Like x 1
  7. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

Texags says he went aggs

8. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

WHY WHY WHY?

It makes no sense. Jeez...

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Confirmed - Jackson to aggy

I like him but we still ended up with a great DL class and the #3 class overall

10. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I don't think the pure "per star average" is best. The larger the class , in general, the more 3*s you get. We had, in December, the 3rd or 4th "per star average" rank. Kickers, punters, and JUCO transfers all LOWER our per star average, even if they are THE BEST at their position.

11. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Great day! Coach looks loose, relaxed and ready to do it again

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He signed his NLI. Took pics with his mom as he signed it, wearing an aggy hat (which is why I thought it was official). And his twitter now reads "(aggy) RB"

But as of last night, he had not faxed it in yet

[​IMG]

13. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

So did the San Antonio Express-News put an article about Texas #3 ranked class on the front of the sports page or an article about what a great job Jimbo did dragging aggy up from the depths to #17? Yeah, Zwernerman got aggy on the front page. I hate that paper. I don't know why I continue to subscribe except that I like to solve the "Cryptoquip" every day.

• Like Like x 4
  14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Same for the Dallas Morning News this morning.

15. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I hear you; it's lies, damn lies and statistics. I'd probably pull out the special teamers from the list and recalc it. I think our JUCO was 4-star though wasn't he?

16. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, Texas would have helped its per star average by turning down Carson, Williams, Jones and Dicker, but the team would have been poorer for it.

• Like Like x 2
  17. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It's true maybe the star rating is subjective. I would never have turned those guys down. It's all about upside and certainly the two kickers were VITAL.

18. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Going into this week, I would've been pleased with simply signing everyone we had committed.

We did that and got a few more, particularly at need positions. I'm more than pleased.

• Like Like x 9
  19. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Scroller across the top of front page:

"UT has Stellar Class; a&m Shows Prowess"

20. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Yeah...Texas had an amazing recruiting season. A&M closed a mediocre one with a lot positive surprises.

21. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

I took the post as sarcasm

22. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I think the star system is subjective, but it's also imperfect. First, let me correct myself a little...Gary Johnson was a 4* last year so some JUCO transfers are not 3*s, but there are no 5*s, including Jarrett Stidham. And kickers and punters are 3* tops.

Every year a top team bypasses K or P, their avg will be higher than the years they get the best Kicker or Punter in the nation.

It's just imperfect.

So I look at both (total points and avg stars). But instead of "per star average," I look at the number of 5* and 4* recruits. That tells the story of the quality of the class. And that's where the Top 3 recruiting classes prove better than the rest.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  23. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

So is there confirmation if Aggy actually received his NLI? I'm hearing that pic was posted somewhere yesterday too.

24. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

On Jackson...

So weird. They sold him on being a running back and proceeded to sign 3 backs.
    Hope it works out for the young man....

25. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Headline on the Sports page: Longhorns hit recruiting jackpot; Aggies make up for lost time

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  26. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

but we all know aggy will never make up for lost time because they can never GET it in the first place....they are always running out of it!!:rolleyes1:

27. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I'm sure aggy will put a championship banner and trophy in the hall of champions claiming they won the last day of the recruiting season. They didn't but that makes it just like all of their other phantom championships.

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This is sort of interesting. Eric Nahlin takes a shot at ranking the OOS players we signed if they had been in-state players

QB Cameron Rising: Big arm, big kid, better athlete than most realize. You don't build an offense around his legs but you keep defenses honest with them. It counts for something he was at the top of numerous wish lists. I would put him at #13 after Vernon Jackson and before Te'Vailance Hunt.

OL Junior Angilau: Incredible drive blocker. Physical and powerful. Plays with leverage which increases that power. Good athlete, could play tackle. A total unknown in pass pro but his flexibility and quickness lead me to believe he'll be good in that regard. I would put him at #16 after Spencer Sanders and before Caleb Chapman. Note: I don't think he'll take his mission trip but it's still undecided

DL Mike Williams: All he lacks is tape corroborating what I'm confident he can do -- wreck shop on the defensive line. Freak athlete for his size and seems to have the required football character. Bouncy! I would put him at #18 after Brennan Eagles and before Max Wright. I want to put him higher but it's too much of a projection.

LB Ayodele Adeoye: True ILB. Takes direct path to the ball carrier. Doesn't hesitate too much. Seems to see the play clearly. Will be limited in coverage. Might have looked better as a junior. Solid downhill quickness for his size. I would put him at #23 after Da'Shaun White and before Colten Blanton.

QB Casey Thompson: Great fit for the offense. Mentally mature. Above average athlete with good quickness. Solid improv. Okay arm but inconsistent in accuracy. I would put him at #28 after Tyree Wilson and before Jordan Moore.

DL Daniel Carson: Great fit at 4i. High floor, low ceiling, because he isn't an explosive edge rusher. He does bend well and with that size he'll play stout versus the run. I would put him at #29 after bumping Jordan Moore down again.

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Devin Duvernay signed his NLI with Baylor, but then Baylor didn't file it. Oops.

"According to NLI provisions, Baylor had to file Duvernay's letter to the conference office within 14 days of the final signature, otherwise the NLI would be deemed invalid."

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ernay-free-sign-elsewhere-nli-paperwork-error

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Holland put out a nice behind-the-scenes account of 2018 recruiting season --

Perhaps the best magic act of the cycle came with junior college offensive lineman Mikey Grandy. He actually called UCLA and committed to the Bruins before the early signing period. Grandy even had a UCLA edit made and was set to announce. But Tom Herman, Derek Warehime and the rest of the staff kept pushing for Grandy into the morning of early signing day and won him over. Grandy switched his commitment to Texas around lunchtime and signed later in the day.

There was a report out that Texas would be getting a mystery official visitor right before the early period. That recruit was actually LSU offensive line signee Cameron Wire. LSU head coach Ed Orgeron caught wind of the scheduled visit and prevented Wire from making it to Texas. He then signed with the Tigers. When I made my trip to Louisiana, I talked to a number of high school coaches about the Texas-LSU satellite camp controversy and never ran the story because it wasn’t worth it. Simply put, there is a ton of pressure for kids from the Baton Rouge area to stay and play at LSU.

• Like Like x 2