NY new laws require victims information be given to accused.

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Horn6721, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

2. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Given to the accused or to criminals?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Well the article uses the word criminal but if I am reading it correctly this information including addresses and contact info must be provided to defendants, accused. Are they criminals before they are tried?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They aren't criminals until they are convicted in court. Furthermore, they do have the right to see all evidence being used against them in trial. If I sue HEB for an employee injury, I have to inform their attorneys of the names and contact information of all persons with knowledge of relevant facts. I do have 30 days to do it rather than 15, but I still have to do it. I don't see why a criminal defendant facing much worse consequences should have less right.

This part of the story worries me much more.

”Lawmakers also eliminated cash bail for hundreds of other criminal charges.

On Nov. 19, Queens Senior Executive Assistant District Attorney James Quinn released a complete list of the offenses that judges will no longer be able to set bail for.

“Under the new bail laws…Judges in New York State cannot set bail on any of the following crimes (and most attempts to commit these crimes), and must release the defendant on non-monetary conditions, regardless of criminal record, ties to the community or previous bench warrants on other cases,” Quinn wrote.

The list stretched on for four pages, and included offenses such as stalking, arson, resisting arrest, money laundering in support of terrorism, rioting, vehicular assault, unlawful imprisonment, negligent homicide, and a slew of drug-related charges.

Criminal offenses against children, including child abuse, promoting child prostitution, facilitating female genital mutilation, and possessing or promoting a sexual performance by a child will also be treated with a mandatory release.

Obstructing governmental duties by means of a bomb, killing a police K9 or horse, and obstructing emergency medical services personnel were also included on the no-jail list."

I understand the move to eliminate cash bail for unpaid traffic tickets and minor drug offenses, but some of these are very serious crimes in which the penalty is severe enough to encourage people to charged to attempt to leave the jurisdiction.

5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

A good example of consequences of lenient release is the woman who attacked the 3 Jewish women then released only to attack another Jewish woman.
    When the woman was released with no bail the first time the prosecutor mentioned the new no bond law about to go into effect saying we may as well start now.
    At the hearing for the second attack the woman got released again.
    Insane

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Next time she initiates an attack, the victims ought to simply kill her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Yep. A lot of far-left idiots who have gotten elected especially in the 2018 election are wildly overshooting on criminal justice matters. They've taken the public's willingness to reduce penalties for non-violent and generally victimless crimes as a license to do some completely crazy things.

• Winner Winner x 1