NYC BBQ

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Ankf00, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Ankf00

Ankf00 250+ Posts

some of our brother expats in yankeeland have complained of bbq that's not merely lacking, but atrocious up north.

NYT has a dining section piece featuring many different joints around the city: The Link

weather they're really as good as claimed, well that's up to you neuvo-yanks to figure out.

2. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

The only place that was fairly decent was Pearsons out in Jackson Hts (and im not sure if that's still open). Pretty much every thing else in the city wasn't worth eating. I never tried any other places in the outer boroughs. It's only a matter of time before enough money gets thrown at the problem. Same with Tex mex.

3. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

We just found an awesome Tex-Mex place just south of Union Square. My wife went with a friend and came home raving about it, so we went last month. It was probably about 95% as good as an above average Tex-Mex place in Texas. And reasonably priced as well. I am a happy man.

4. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

Tex-mex is doable. There was a tiny little tx mex place on my block that knew me well. They had a tex-mex restaurant in Houston as well.

5. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

Ranger Texas BBQ is what became of Pearson's in Jackson Heights, I've been and it's good. real good.

everything I read about Pie's n Thighs is good.

Daisy May's: pretty good, I really like their Texas Red Chili.
    Blue Smoke: was terrible their first year but they have since figured it out and I'm eager for them to reopen as they have been closed for renovations. good brisket, good ribs.

RUB is ok, it's like Dos XX, I can drink it and like it and it's better than Corona but it's not Brooklyn Lager

every day that goes by the BBQ scene bets better here. I would still kill for a good taco joint in Manhattan

6. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

7. Mistadobalina

Mistadobalina 100+ Posts

Dinosaur is the best we've got, but I haven't had Daisy Mays or Rangers.
    Pearson's in Queens and the UES are done...didn't know anything about Rangers.

Tex-Mex. It's Lobo and then everything else.
    Although Blue moon in Chelsea does a decent brunch fajitas and eggs that is the closest thing I've seen to migas and fajitas in the city.

8. evil horn

evil horn 100+ Posts

9. AugieBall

AugieBall 100+ Posts

Hellraiser,

Why so cryptic? Out with it. Is it El Cantinero? I have had drinks there, but never eaten. Never yet found tex mex with even remotely good salsa. Tip me in, by all means.

10. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

Rangers is Pearsons.

Midtown: I'm really not a fan of La Esquina, I'll eat it drunk but all in I'd rather eat at Arranda's or some such.

11. George Best

George Best 25+ Posts

Dinosaur in Harlem is really good. They have Elgin sausage.

12. Spankytoes

Spankytoes 100+ Posts

I heard that Dinosaur was pretty good. They also make pork fried rice with the leftovers.

I'm going to Midtown in 2 weeks. Any suggestions for a good pizza? Hotel is down the street from Original Famous Ray's but I hear that it sucks.