O and D line..

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by CoachMc, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I agree with pretty much everything you said. What I'm referring to is the coaching staff not being prepared to make timely adjustments to the offensive and defensive plans/schemes until it was too late.

For example on defense we refused to stack the box on a mostly one dimensional running team who has a QB known for being very inaccurate. We were basically telling them to run and we were hoping our d-line would handle things. Well, when they couldn't get it done, they needed help but the adjustment never came so the piggies gashed us over and over.

On offense it was clear from the get go that the plan was for Bijan to control the game on the ground. Over and over it didn't work. Where were the screen passes or our short tight end routes across the middle to force the DB's to come up a few yards to give our WR's a better chance of getting free.

That's just two, but there are many more. The staff came in dead set on winning the game one way until it was too late. So either they were unprepared, stubborn or brain dead.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

This was a big adjustment I / most of us realized was needed early in the game. Card was under constant pressure, a bit rattled at times, inconsistent , sacked some, didn't have much time in the pocket for medium or long receiver routes to open up. He over threw a couple that could have been TD's if caught. Didn't help that Brewer dropped a pass he should have caught...

Coaches should have done what you suggested. Help Card out with quicker developing short routes, screens, passes to RB in the flat, etc. Give Card some confidence, take little pressure off, gain some momentum, get first downs, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo 250+ Posts

Isn't part of a message board being able to disagree with what another member posts? So Who is playing the part of the enforcer here?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  4. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I honestly think that this staff - just likes ones before them - had convinced themselves they had better personnel. I don't know how else to explain trying to convert fourth and 2 in your own territory by lining up and running what looked like straight inside zone against a team that had been stuffing it all game long. It was like they were saying "OK, with a fourth down play, these guys are going to reach down and finally do what they should be doing," as opposed to realizing that they were outmatched.

I remember reading all week from "expert" message boards that Sark was going to scheme around this team's weaknesses. Much like Herman before him, it feels like Sark isn't convinced yet that our o-line is a weakness at all. Because that game plan was the kind you roll out if you're coaching Alabama against Arkansas. And it never changed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

That's called buying your own B U L L S H I T.

6. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Perhaps they needed a QB that could escape pressure better and not be so rattled, as Wooster said. Casey moved the offense well and got us first downs. Gave the defense rest too. This team was completely different with Casey Thompson as QB. He should remain the starter. I don't think Card is ready to start yet. Just too young.
    I believe Texas could have possibly won the Arkansas game had Casey started. QB makes a really big difference. Did Casey take a sack at all? I don't believe so. Card would pump fake and shuffle his feet, indecisive. Then get nailed. That put us in a hole on offense and defense. 6 of his 9 drives were 3 and out. He fumbled too. I like Hudson Card, but he was not ready for a road game in the SEC. Casey is.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. HalRex

HalRex 1,000+ Posts

Personal opinion is that our Oline is not playing well together as a unit. Poor communication, not trusting their training, whatever - when five guys cannot block three it’s a coordination issue. Even an undersized set of guys, if playing as a cohesive unit, can handle three pretty much no matter what the size/talent differential. Let’s see what our all star oline coach can do to remedy the situation. I think our line, individually from a physical standpoint, is adequate handle all but the most elite dlines if they play in coordination with each other. It’s on the coaches to make that happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Rex,

You make great points. How many times did we have 3 OL triple team the NG while a LB and DE were screaming in untouched. Did they not know their assignments? Did the Hogs give them a different look than they practiced against?

Clearly lots of confusion and/or great scheming by Odom. The latter we should have been able to make adjustments for.

• Agree Agree x 3