O-Line

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TxnByBirth, Sep 10, 2018.

1. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

I've been less than laudatory about our play this year. However, I do think the o-line play has improved quite a bit over last year. I'm certainly no football savant, but I've watched long enough and seen enough to have that thing in my head. You know, when you just feel like you're seeing improvement and better quality play. I think Hand has had a definite positive impact.

I know that the sample size is small, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else feels the same (or differently) than I do when watching this bunch.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Yes, play has definitely improved over last season.

The emergence of Cosmi at RT is great. He appears to be destined for greatness, if he stays healthy.

Center still seems like a weak point with either Shackelford or Rodriguez.

Still can't blow people off the line on 3rd and short, but pass protections seems much better.

Hand has done a great job.

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Agree with all of that but would add Vahe is still getting pushed backwards in pass protection and still finds himself blocking air sometimes on runs.

The improved pass protection makes me wonder if it might be safe to give Buechele another shot since his inability to avoid the rush is what hurt him the most in the past. He was a 62% passer behind a horrid OL, which you would think should improve with more time to throw. For example, Ehlinger is a 59% career passer but his accuracy has gone up 7-points so far this season compared to last.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

we do have a bit of a rungame this year even though as pointed out short yardage is still iffy.............pass protection is better but not airtight.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

IMO - OL is significantly better... pass protection is good, SE generally has had time to throw and is not running for his life like he was so often last year. I credit Hand for that.

However, the next 4 games, USC, TCU. KSU and ou will bring more pressure than what the OL has seen vs. MD & TU.

6. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Vahe will go down in Longhorn history as the 4-year starter with the fewest accolades. It's shocking to me that someone with so much experience and expected ROI can be so mediocre. That said, he always seems to be dragging over to help someone else on the line (**cough** the center **cough**), which leaves Anderson on an island and really hurts our run game.

What Worster said too... Maryland and Tulsa are probably going to finish near the bottom of their conferences in DL play, but our next 4 opponents are going to mix things up and test us more often.

7. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Of all the things I have complained about this year the o-line is not one of them so I agree that they are better.

8. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

What I think we're seeing now is that for the first time in several years, the offensive line is playing up to its level of capability. Unfortunately, that level is still capped by some mediocre players. BUT... it's still an improvement, and those guys are what they are, and are competing, so that's good. We need more of the young guys to put on weight and get rolling fast, though.