O-Rings for car engine, Supplier in AusTX ?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by 14tokihorn, Dec 17, 2013.

1. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

Does anybody know of a parts house in Aus who has O-Rings ? I need metric-sized for a small engine part ,no longer available as OEM/new. So the O-Ring needs to be able to take the under-the-hood temps.

Gee, this board is dead.

2. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

I'd check with Breed's Hardware, Zinger Hardware, and Callahan's. Also, check with Grainger. Sometimes you don't need a perfect fit as long as it will stretch to fit. Might have to go online. Google lists several potential sources.

3. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, been to Breeds. The fit has to be eye-ball only, since there is not parts call-out to get the sizing. It would be good for the material to be able hold up in a hot application (in this case, air intake manifold. I can't come up with some other industry except air-conditioning.

Didn't think of Granger... Thanks.

4. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

For an air intake, you should be able to use high temperature RTV. Should be available at most any auto supply store. Creates a form-in-place gasket.
    The Link

5. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

No can do.... the replacement has to be an O Ring. Its an internal part - round, with an indented region - scored around the circumference, which takes a O Ring... about the size of a quarter (its surely a metric measure). Kinda like a putting a bullet in a six-shooter -cylinder, but the bullet casing would have an O Ring installed in an indented region to seal it firmly in teh cylinder.

Update: Finally visited Granger... they have them made w/ the preferred material , also Purvis Bearing.