OB reporting Dodds retiring

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by gecko, Sep 13, 2013.

1. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

OB has been wrong before.....but, oh my, if this is true things will be get interesting real fast.

2. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

3. Pogo

Pogo 250+ Posts

This is definitely Mack's last year then, no matter what happens the rest of the season. Dodds was the last friend Mack had left.

4. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I thought he'd kind of sorta already announced he was stepping down. Was I dreaming?

5. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

Hobida. Shibida.

6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Step 1 Deloss Retires Step 2 Mack Steps down Step 3 New Coach for Football Step 4 Mack to AD? hmmmmm

7. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

In the words of Sir Paul:

"Let it be...let it be...let it be, hey let it beeee.
    There will be an answer...let it be."

[​IMG]

8. Pogo

Pogo 250+ Posts

No way, Joe. Step 3: Hire new AD based on who he is bringing with him to coach football. Step 4 is letting him make the hire.

9. envgeo

envgeo 500+ Posts

I think we go outside. Oliver Luck or Rob Mullins?

10. OrangeOsoFu

OrangeOsoFu 100+ Posts

Puuuuulllleeeeez

11. Pericles

Pericles 1,000+ Posts

12. Pogo

Pogo 250+ Posts

Or Foley and Saban? [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

14. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I feel like there needs to be an almost FRENCH REVOLUTION where WE take back OUR University from Bellmont after DeLoss is gone....The Link

15. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

What if they bump Mack up to AD, so that he can exit football coaching gracefully?

16. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I guess this is what the meeting that DeLoss said didn't happen the other day was about.

17. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

^^ Clean........please no.

18. Pogo

Pogo 250+ Posts

19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Pogo,

#1 - Deloss is not "Mack's friend" in the sense you indicated. Deloss is "Deloss' friend", the ultimate politician, and a survivor. Don't misunderstand, it took me a long time and a lot of one on one conversations to understand him. I do like him and appreciate how he made us "the brand".

No way Mack Brown becomes AD. If that happens, we are ****** for life. If Deloss retires, it has to be Oliver Luck, maybe T Jones as an interim.

Lastly, the AD gets hired first and then the coach. I can only hope and pray that this rumor is ********.

20. Pogo

Pogo 250+ Posts

By "friend" I was trying to imply that Dodds is the last one left that may not want to can Mack.
    Which rumor do hope is ********? If you mean Mack to AD, it's not rumor, just posters positing. If you mean Dodds retiring, why do you feel that way?

21. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

104.9 FM Austin is reporting it as more than rumor, at 4:30 just now.

I want Oliver Luck.
    From Cleveland, Ohio, undergraduate from West Virgini, law degree from UT. Rhoades Scholar finalist. Played with the Oilers, probably what put him in Houston area for a while.
    Twice first-team Academic All-American.

22. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

23. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

In reply to:

24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

First off, the "friend" comment is because Deloss is a politician and is out for Deloss. That is not a negative comment about him. I like him and hope he stays for through this storm. I repeat, he has never hired a football coach nor has he fired a football coach. He may have been the messenger, but not calling the shots.

I don't think that Mack is qualified to be AD of the largest athletic program in America.

That said, NO ONE THAT HAS EVER MET, KNOWS, OR HAS EVER TALKED TO CHUCKIE NEIN-***!

25. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

Bellmont trolling hard....

26. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Like most on here, I think we need changes.

However, I wonder why people would say that Mack Brown is not qualified to be an AD? The CEO mentality that is not right (right now, anyway) for our football program seems to be the very trait that would be good as an AD.

He's been dealing directly with our donors, our facilities, our administration, NCAA rules, etc. What could be a better prep for that job, other than being an AD already at Ohio State or something?

Not saying I know, just wondering why that opinion was expressed.

27. Aces_Full

Aces_Full 500+ Posts

John Gruden would be nails. [​IMG]

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

29. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Well, many of his hires have been good. As for the poorer choices, I think that because of the particular "space" that Mack wants to occupy in the coaching field--the hoovering above CEO thing--only a certain type of assistant can fit between the spaces he takes up. Maybe a bad comparison, but similar to how Jerry Jones, by his strong participation alters the landscape for which coaches will agree to be under him.

My best guess is that Mack Brown could make much harder choices for a program he wasn't trying to run at the same time. (Probably Jerry Jones hires better people to go run his oil interests than he does draft football players.)

I certainly admit, I don't know.

30. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

DD tells DMN something totally different:Link.

Move along. Nothing to see here.