Obama meeting with Wyden-Bennett sponsors

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Horns2005, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Horns2005

Horns2005 250+ Posts

The Link

I think this bill has a ton of loopholes and it punishes workers a bit, but it does make strong attempts to fix several of the problems with health insurance.

It will be most interesting if Obama comes out in public support of the bill. It would do one of two things: call the Republicans' bluff and see if they'll support a bill that conservatives claimed to support until recently; or, and I'm a little cynical that both sides could be so gracious, but it could allow the Republicans to look like the grownups at the table for having this bill ready all along, and allow Obama to look like a uniter in a divisive subject at the expense of some of the more pro-labor factions of his party.

2. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

Obama is not stupid. He will try to co-opt any plan to get to his end goal. He has been taught in the tradition of the best "non-political" activist - Saul Alinsky. Beware any plan that Obama lets through or signs. He has already thought two steps ahead - get the frame work up and they will fill in the rest.

Once that happens Republicans will become like the Conservatives in the UK - claiming they are more efficient tax collectors for the uber-welfare state.

3. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

Bump, because this is more important than people who don't understand the issue think.

I should also add that dispite the elegance of the solution, major employers are very afraid of this bill and are lobbying against it because it means that health insurance is no longer a retention tool.

On paper, this is a bill that conforms to what most Republicans have said they wanted in a reform package. Even if Obama isn't sincere here (and I suspect he isn't, but whatever), it's an interesting tactic in that it splits the GOP business interest coalition.

4. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

I suspect you're right.

5. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

Too radical for the President in July.

6. bozo_casanova

7. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

8. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

Surely these proposed plans are good enough also for union workers, federal workers, as well as all people working for all three branches of the federal government? Isn't that right? If not why not?

9. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

BC - I believe you and I see Wyden - Bennett alike. However, I disagree that big business fear this bill on grounds of losing a retention tool. Big business will find new retention methods. I believe most would like to be relieved of the administrative headaches involved with offering coverage.

10. bozo_casanova

Washpark,