Obama ready for serious power grab

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by ProdigalHorn, May 7, 2011.

1. GT WT

GT WT 1,000+ Posts

Again 6721, it's a matter of perception. I've listened to the tape where the President refers to "clinging to guns and religion" and I didn't find it offensive.
    The Link

I'm too lazy to look up all your allegations of 'childish and petty' behaviour (and you didn't provide links) but I suspect that some of them were insensitive, some politically unfortunate, and some taken out of context.

The fact is that you don't like the president and nothing he does will please you.

[​IMG]

2. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

This kind of thuggery is so depressing. We knew it was coming based on Obama's associations with Rezko and Alinsky and the like. But, if you bring up any such issues you're a racist. So sad where our country is headed. [​IMG]

3. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

Why should this information be kept secret? What valuable "right" is protected by keeping this information secret?

Most government contracts go to the lowest responsive and responsible bidder. It seems like all this does is shed a little light on things especially on no-bid or value bid deals.

Do you guys seriously think this will be used to determine who gets a bid?

4. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

I think paso's question is a good one.

5. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Maybe it will show that a corporate entity with GOP leanings got a contract. Transparency, homies.

6. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

7. Ag with kids

Ag with kids 2,500+ Posts

8. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

9. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Who really thinks we are going to get transparency with this? What meaningful transparency has this administration shown?

I think my main problem is that the transparency is more about private sector transparency to the government and not the government's transparency to the public. That's really the point right?

10. Lake_Travis_Horn

Lake_Travis_Horn 500+ Posts

The problem is that it reeks of Chicago-style thuggery and intimidation.

11. jmrob93

jmrob93 Guest

It does seem quite ironic that multiple defense contracts have moved from Republican to Democratic states in the last 2 years--- In Sealy-- BAE lost the contract to Wisconsin on military vehicles. No link handly but I have heard this has happened over and over again in the last two years.

12. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

I think we've established that for some people the main point of this issue is to repeat the phrase "Chicago style thuggery." Congrats for staying on message.

13. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Chicago style thuggery has a nice ring to it. I think...yes....it's the ring of truth!

14. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

According to Wiki, only two Presidential executive orders have ever been overturned, one of them by President Clinton in 1995 that coincidentally attempted to prevent the U.S. government from contracting with organizations that had strikebreakers on the payroll.

As I understand it, it takes a super majority vote by Congress to overturn one. The Big O knows if he puts this out there, it's probably going to stick until the Repubs either gain control of both houses or win the Presidency or unless they can prevent funding for the mechanism to enforce this travesty.

15. bronco

bronco Guest

I am having a little trouble with this one.

First, it is illegal to base any government contract award on political donations. Legally, they can not be considered, at all. As a result, having that information included as part of the actual bid seems highly illegal and highly prejudicial. If the person or group doing the purchasing can not, by law, base any consideration on the donations, why have them?

All direct persoanl political contributions are already a matter of public record and are disclosed by each politician. I suppose an argument could be made that required the names of executives that get awarded govt contracts to be made public. And if some organization then wanted to gather the public donation records of those execs and make them public, I suppose they could. But what purpose does it serve to include these in the bid process?

From the article, this is the admin response:

16. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thanks to all of you who finally got this back to the actually issue at hand.

17. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

bronco
    I appreciate you took the time to explain a few things about the proposal.

18. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

19. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

20. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

21. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

I support the President or anyone for that matter that takes the effort to crush the right wing of this country. These wackos deserve everything they get

22. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

23. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

24. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

25. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

I support the President or anyone for that matter that takes the effort to crush the right wing of this country. These wackos deserve everything they get

spoken like a true progressive. When are you going to set up the death camps?

26. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

27. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Man, some of you were in quite a hurry to step up to that radical mirror. HornsForever is like a wetdream for those anxious to see what they are looking for.

Even got an Aggiesque "typical lib" comment. My guess is that those that bit listen to Rush tell them that the Libs are enemies of the US and there is a "culture war" going on for the soul of the US.

Guess what, HornForever is wrong and so it Rush. Politics is not a ******* war against an external enemy. It's the give and take between two valid ideologies.

If you are looking to see the right or the left as something to be destroyed, then you're really not a very good citizen.

Now, if you can find a better way than the Dems and the GOPs, you might have something.

28. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

29. bronco

bronco Guest

Got to agree with Roma on Hornsforever. Posters like him are indicative of nothing but themselves. There might be some other nuts that believe similarly but they are not "typical" really of anything. I don't really think Hornsforever even actually believes what he posts, but just does it to stir up some folks.

30. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts