Obama response to Bush's SOTU

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by triplehorn, Jan 29, 2008.

1. triplehorn

triplehorn 2,500+ Posts

2. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

Just an observation:
    "NEW KIND OF POLITICS"

+

[​IMG]

=

[​IMG]

I am going to see Obama on Wednesday in Denver. I really hope Teddy isn't there.

3. Ag with kids

Ag with kids 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG] for washpark...

4. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

5. triplehorn

triplehorn 2,500+ Posts

nice effort, z.

While the response in its entirity is all open for debate, I think the biggest area where you missed it is on Iraq.

6. Super

Super 500+ Posts

somehow I doubt that wash and zzzz are a part of the target audience here.

7. Ag with kids

Ag with kids 2,500+ Posts

I agree....

His target audience is on this thread supporting his position...

8. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

I like McCain and Obama. If it comes down to them, i won't decide until late.

I see many ways an Obama presidency could be good for the country. But there is a mania surrounding his candidacy that makes me look at him with a more skeptical eye.

Liberals seem to respond to things more emotionally while conservatives approach things in a more rational fashion. So there's a natural inclination to want to puncture the balloon.

But if I decide that in the big picture he is the candidate that is best for the country, I will have no trouble voting for him.

9. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

10. Super

Super 500+ Posts

Oh, drama.

Teddy says your vote doesn't matter.

11. Roger35

Roger35 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

12. Brubricker

Brubricker 250+ Posts

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

13. CharlieMike

CharlieMike 25+ Posts

I do like Obama, but his generality speak is starting to wear thin.
    I would not be surprised at this point if he played the Pedro card and promised to make all of our wildest dreams come true.

14. AugieBall

AugieBall 100+ Posts

15. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Better response than Pelosi, who called the president irrelevant.

16. Longhorn_Fan68

Longhorn_Fan68 1,000+ Posts

^ hilarious, if true.

17. Heretic Horn

Heretic Horn 250+ Posts

18. Texas_Curl

Texas_Curl 100+ Posts

19. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

Thompson, ha.

20. stabone

stabone 500+ Posts

First the SOTU. Wow what crap. That was the most boring speech I could have ever imagined. The only thing worse than W's speech was the Democratic response.

[​IMG]

The whole clapping thing is awful. Can we bury this stupid tradition? Maybe along with the token people in the crowd who visually represent the issues being described?

It really is like hollywood. [​IMG]

Obama is the best guy for the job. The best speaker. I like when asked dumb-*** questions by the media....he just ignores them. He doesn't allow himself to get into this pissing matches.

21. NameAlreadyInUse

NameAlreadyInUse 500+ Posts

22. Fried JJ Pickles

Fried JJ Pickles 1,000+ Posts

23. MRCC

MRCC 100+ Posts

24. Ralphie

Ralphie 500+ Posts

In reply to:

25. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn 1,000+ Posts

ZZZZ-

excelllent point by point rebuttal to Obama's speech. I worry about Obama as president with a democratic congress. He is just wrong on so many issues to my way of thinking. I would be excited about it breaking down barriers and if he could really change the tone of politics, but I'm doubtful that hapens either.

26. stabone

stabone 500+ Posts

27. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn 1,000+ Posts

Lets see:

Tax policy,

wealth creation

he's making promises on things like wages that he has no control over as president

Getting out of Iraq before the job is done (regardless of what you want to say about why we are there)

He's talking about changing the politics of DC and tweaiking Bush at the same time.

I'm not saying that you can't agree with him, just that he's wrong, like most libs are.

He could be good for the country though, and I'm good with that.

28. wildcat09

wildcat09 100+ Posts

Wulaw, you're assuming that we can fix Iraq at all.

While a lot of his views are certainly far to the left of my own, his proposed tax policy isn't as liberal as most want to make it out to be, and is actually much more in line with certain conservative goals than Bush's ever was.

He's not my ideal candidate (a slightly more moderate version of Ron Paul would be my ideal candidate) but I personally think he's the only one capable of fixing our biggest problem right now, which is a system that only serves those in power instead of the people, and it's a system the people have lost faith in. The current state of politics in this country is completely incapable of facing, much less solving, the various problems we face and will face in the future. Before we can solve those problems, the underlying issues with the current state of politics need to be addressed.

29. allweatherHorn

allweatherHorn 1,000+ Posts

30. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

Obama is going to screw me on federal taxes, and will screw the economics of the industry I work in. Many would say this is good for the country, another way of saying "tough ****, your turn".

Still, the idea of the 21st century republican party getting buried in landslide of rejection has superb entertainment value. I was going to finance my entertainment this year with a sizeable LHF contribution, but it looks like I'll have to settle for this.