Obama's Education

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by general35, Jan 23, 2008.

1. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

The Link

One of our favorite Bill Clinton anecdotes involves a confrontation he had with Bob Dole in the Oval Office after the 1996 election. Mr. Dole protested Mr. Clinton's attack ads claiming the Republican wanted to harm Medicare, but the President merely smiled that Bubba grin and said, "You gotta do what you gotta do."

The Illinois Senator is still a young man, but not so young as to have missed the 1990s. He nonetheless seems to be awakening slowly to what everyone else already knows about the Clintons, which is that they will say and do whatever they "gotta" say or do to win. Listen closely to Mr. Obama, and you can almost hear the echoes of Bob Dole at the end of the 1996 campaign asking, "Where's the outrage?"

2. happy fun ball

happy fun ball 100+ Posts

Damn, I was hoping this would be a discussion of whether it is acceptable to refer to an islamic private school with a primarily secular curiculum a madrasa.

Pretty good piece. I'm very down on my girl these days. If she gets the nomination I'm voting for Bloomberg.

3. Fried JJ Pickles

Fried JJ Pickles 1,000+ Posts

Please.

If Obama thinks this is rough wait until he runs against the Republican nominee and the party that brought us Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, John McCain's black illegitimate child and aborted fetus leaflets handed out in churck parking lots.

happy fun ball brings up a good point. Not even Hillary Clinton has insinuated Obama was schooled in a terrorist training camp. The Republicans already have. I guaran-damn-tee the Republicans will run that angle to the ground in the general election. Barrack "Hussein" Obama, schooled in a terrorist camp!

4. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

HRC and her machine make me sick, but as JJ points out it would be nothing compared to the concentrated effort of the right.

5. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

Not even Hillary Clinton has insinuated Obama was schooled in a terrorist training camp. The Republicans already have.

From what I recall, nobody is sure who linked that story to the press but the rumor mill at the time I thought was that it was the Clintons.

6. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Obama would get CRUSHED in a national election. Whether it is his middle name, his Islamic upbringing, the radical "spiritual leader" at his church, the fact that he is black-ish, his open and admitted drug use, his "present" votes in Illinois...

7. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

Napoleon,

Isn't that poll just for the primary. That doesn't mean that the other 75% of Democratic voters won't vote for him in the general over Republican alternatives. Its just they prefer other Democratic candidates.

8. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

Napolean - Based on that, Obama would KILL Romney since only 17% of ALL REPUBLICANS favor him. Right? As Fondren said, you're misinterpreting the poll.

9. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

I understand both your points. Yes, there will be plenty of Demos who would switch their vote to Obama for the general election. That being said, I'm not misinterpretting the poll.

"On Paper", Obama is the obvious choice for most electible, charismatic, optimistic, Presidential Candidate for Change and Hope in the Democratic party. And yet only 25% of White Voters are currently supporting him. In the "colorblind", all inclusive Democratic party, only 25% of the white voters prefer the best candidate...

I am NOT misinterpretting the poll.

10. HornsInTheHouse

HornsInTheHouse 500+ Posts

I thought it would be about Obama going to Columbia and Harvard Law.

11. Sii

Sii 1,000+ Posts

12. Turd of Doom

Turd of Doom 250+ Posts

13. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

It is interesting to see people accuse the GOP of putting out the rumor that obama attended an islamic school.
    Who in the GOP would benefit from such a rumor early in the Dem selection process?
    Who in the Dem party would benefit?

let's see machine clinton has accused obama of being a coke head, a drug dealer, schooled in islamic dogma by muslims, aided a corrupt slum landlord, a "un truth teller", and
    GASP worse of all a lover of Reagan.
    there is even a video of gay sex and drugs floating around
    and YOU think the GOP can do worse?
    give an example please of what could be worse

14. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

15. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

16. GatorHorn

GatorHorn 250+ Posts

On the contrary, Jive, I find it humorous.

Of course, I find joy in the absurd so...

17. austintexas

austintexas Guest

with the numbers obama is posting among independents, he would not get crushed in a general election. Not at all, actually.

18. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

19. wildcat09

wildcat09 100+ Posts

Nobody is going to crush anybody in the general. This country is too polarized to allow any candidate to get more than perhaps 53-55% of the popular vote.

20. TSIP4LIFE

TSIP4LIFE 250+ Posts

Napolean,
    Your comment is ridiculous and your defense even moreso. Black-ish?? Educate yourself.

signed,
    HALE BERRY, VIN DIESEL, D.JETER,AND TSIP4LIFE

21. HoosierHorn

HoosierHorn 500+ Posts

22. BattleshipTexas

BattleshipTexas 1,000+ Posts

23. TahoeHorn

TahoeHorn 1,000+ Posts

Unless (1)the economy turns around or (2)the Dems alienate voters with a race fight the Dem nominee will win. Sad to say. The circumstances which cause an incumbent party to keep power in a bad economy are rare. I don't even think a change in the terrorism picture would change things but maybe that's number three.

24. sak

sak 250+ Posts

I agree with a comment that Obama made as to why he is a stronger general election candidate, that in the general election he could get votes that Hillary couldn't get, but Hillary wouldn't get any votes that he couldn't get. I think almost no republican will vote for Hillary and independents will be evenly divided. She has to rely on the democratic vote to prevail. Obama could get some republican votes and majority of independent votes. And he will get most/all of democratic votes, just because they want republicans out of the WH.

25. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn 1,000+ Posts

This is an interesting thought I had the other day (not claiming it's original or anything, but haven't seen it posted here...)

If the Clinton's keep hammering away at the race issue, do they HAVE to make Obama the VP or risk losing the black vote.

Now, I don't think it's likely that Black's will start voting for Republican's in large number or anything like that, but might they sit at home en masse instead of going out and voting for the shrill, ball busting, race baiting witch who unfailry maligned their candidate?

Thoughts welcome

26. 45th St.

45th St. 250+ Posts

27. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn 1,000+ Posts

45th-

I disagree about her having to pick himi to get votes- I think it's irrelevant outside the race context.

What you are looking for in your VP is either some matter of experience or a guy/gal that is going to maybe flip their homestate for you. I think if the race thing heats up much more she needs him so as not to alienate black voters. That's just a guess though.

28. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

napoleon's view that Obama woudl get "crushed" in the national eleciton is silly on it's face. What it misses is that the Dems are motivated because the GOP has been lockstep behind the worst President ANY of us have ever seen in our lifetimes. You can't produce enough fear of Obama to believe that the nation is again going to go with the GOP. When you fail there are consequences. Bush and the GOP have failed the nation and the 2008 electin is going to show the consequence.

The Dems are going to unite behind WHOEVER is the nominee. I woudl vote for either Obama or Hillary. I didn't think Obama had the chops to survive the primary, but that's still to be seen. IF and it's still a big IF, Obama can motivate young people to vote, there will be a gigantic flushing sound for the GOP come November 2008.

What I don't get is how the GOP folks see any of the choices as inspiring to the GOP or the nation at this juncture. You sure as **** don't want to have to campare the croud or the stump speeches of Obama versus ANY of the GOP offerings....

Obama might be exactly what our country needs after the last & years of stupid decions making on so many fronts. I find it difficult to believe that any GOP offering is going to oust either Obama or Hillary at this point in time.

29. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

It seems funny to me that my R friends all think Obama is stronger and my D friends all think Hillary is.

and to think I am always told by Dems that the Pubs are all racist.

30. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts