Obama's parting gifts to the American people

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Joe Fan, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

As far as where the money comes from do not forget that back when BO was a kenyan :smokin: he wrote several books . IIRC he made several million off them even his first years in office.
    He is likely as broke as the Clinton sleaze were when they left offuce

2. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Where Obama's money came from is no secret because, like every president in recent memory, he has made extensive financial disclosures. Here is a good summary, showing that he was a millionaire before entering his first public office, and establishing legitimate, nonpassive income sources worth over $15 million. Link.

A few noteworthy highlights:
    • As the first African American to be the Harvard Law Review's President, Obama published a memoir, Dreams from My Father, in 1995 that earned him "millions". In 2006, he published a follow-up, The Audacity of Hope, which sold even better -- royalties for 2009 alone were around $5 million. Link. I couldn't find lifetime royalties, but I'm sure it is over $10 million.
    • In the early and mid 1990s, he held two jobs -- a lecturer at U Chic Law School and an attorney at a law firm in Chicago. Link.
    • From the mid-1990s to 2004, he continued as a lecturer at U Chic and joined the Illinois State Senate. His salaries for those two positions totaled $112k in 2004. Meanwhile, Michelle worked as a hospital administrator, which presumably payed well also.
    • Obama gave his Nobel Prize money (over $1 million) to charity, so I guess that doesn't count.
    • His salary as President is $400k x 8 years = $3.2 million.

3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

NJ?
    I admit I did not know BO was a millionaire before he ran for Ill state rep?
    Is there a site with verifiable numbers.
    His best selling book, Dxreams from my Father came out summer 1995
    BO ran for Ill Rep in 96
    It is of course possible but it would be amazing that a relatively unknown "Kenyan" would be able to sell enough books in such a short time to make him a millionaire

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  4. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

By the time he hit his zenith of popularity during the "Hope" campaign both books were likely selling pretty well.

I'm sure this will get a chuckle from the conservatives on this board. I was shocked to learn Dreams from My Father has been translated in 30+ languages. Notice the adulation from Time magazine at the bottom.

5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

SH
    No doubt but NJ is saying BO was a millionaire when he first ran for office in 96
    The book came out mid 95. Anything is possible
    I am just asking for verifiable source.

6. Seattle Husker

Oh...I think he's assuming that he could have been a millionaire from his work as a lawyer/professor combine with Michelle's occupation. They were DINKs (Double income no kids) at the time. If he and Michelle didn't have a lot of student debt it would only take a few years to reach "millionaire" status in assets with those lofty jobs.

7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

He was a lecturer/ adjunct professor, hardly big bucks. They do not get paid much and Michelle did not get into the big bucks until BO was elected to US senate
    I also remember Michelle and BO complaining they were still paying student loans in 2004
    Still waiting for a verifiable source BO was millionaire when he ran first for Ill Rep

8. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

It is amusing that some posters belabor what they see as inaccuracy in other poster, JF for one, but when called on to verify their own accuracy disappear.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Does this mean Obama is a liar?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Does this mean Obama is a liar?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Was Obama lying here?

12. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

My original message was accompanying by a link that stated the following:

I admit that I might have read too much into this, i.e. that the revenues came "by dint of" his prior work but weren't earned into later. Indeed, according to this source, Obama got a $125,000 advance for the book and a second advance of $40k, but sales were initially sluggish.

None of this changes the two main points of my post: (1) Obama did hold jobs in the private sector before running for office; and (2) there are legitimate explanations for how Obama became wealthy enough to own several homes as he comes out of his presidency.

13. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

When I point out @Joe Fan's ******** posts, he either ignores me or attacks me for disputing the accuracy of his posts. I don't remember a single instance when he came back with something substantive, showing I was wrong to call him on his ********.

In contrast, I often come back to discuss support for my previous posts, and sometimes even fess up when things aren't as I stated. Sometimes it takes a while because I do have a family and a full-time job, plus two major community commitments. Sometimes I don't see a response, so I don't know that a request for backup has been made. And sometimes, I forget to respond or decide it isn't worth my time. But to suggest that I am not living up to the standards of credibility established by @Joe Fan is kinda insulting.

• Like Like x 2
  14. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

We already KNEW he was a liar...this is just further evidence of it.

15. Seattle Husker

A liar or wrong?

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

My argument on this stuff is really with another poster who, on the one hand seems somewhat bright, but on the other hand, has been unable to come to grips with the meaning of "lie" and "liar."

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

That's not really how it has been working. The way it has been working is that your arguments get gutted. You then disappear for ~2 weeks (reading Slate or whatever to help you formulate a better comeback). Then you suddenly pop back up, like a mushroom and drop your new reply down to a 2-weeks old argument. Well, look, in this new Trump world, alot happens in two weeks. Alot happens in two days.

You remind me of this scene from Pulp Fiction

18. Seattle Husker

I think the point is that when it's plainly obvious that one of your posts is inaccurate you fail to take accountability preferring to focus on "today". No accountability for accuracy, similar to many of the sources you post which is ironic since media bias and hypocrisy seems to be a push button issue for you.

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

What?
    You disagreed with me?
    Unreal

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This is alittle confusing
    What exactly is he saying about the last 8 years?

22. Seattle Husker

Who knows with Kanye. He's kooky.

23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'll give Kanye credit for not just bindly supporting the Democratic nominee like most entertainers do. However, the guy is such a freak show that it's pretty hard to take anything he says seriously. And if Trump is the first Republican you support, your ideology and seriousness about real issues has to be pretty suspect.

24. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I was baffled when I heard Trump invited Kanye to Trump tower. Why? Did Trump need a good laugh?

Wasn't Kanye going to run for President in 2020?

25. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

2024 now

26. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I heard a report today that he wasn't invited, but just showed up and asked for a meeting. Trump kindly met with him for a few minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Seattle Husker

I read the same thing. Watching that video in the lobby of Trump tower with Kanye was awkward.

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

#ThanksObama

[​IMG]

29. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I feel like it probably wasn't the first or last time someone said "OK who invited Kanye?"

• Like Like x 2
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Does this qualify as a parting gift?
    Or does it only fall into the category of "great, now they tell us?"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016