Obese handicap parking

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by aUTfan, Nov 26, 2008.

1. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

I hear through the grapevine they give out handicap privilege's to obese folks? (severely obese) Isn't this counterproductive to their over all well being and perpetuate the problem? (lack of exercise)

It won't happen but it would be nice to see "obese parking" spots in the back of a lot. I don't mean this thread to sound mean but these folks need exercise not less of it even if it is only a little walking. And to those that are obese for other medical reasons, this doesn't apply and I hope i didn't offend.

2. Bluepies

Bluepies Guest

If you can change your situation, you're not handicapped. Handicapped implies that there's a situation that's out of your control.

Obese people should:
    Not be given handicapped spots
    Not be given go-carts in grocery stores, etc.
    Be charged for two airplane seats if they take up two airplane seats
    Pay double for health insurance (including company-provided insurance, take it out of their paycheck)
    Not be eligible for medicare, etc. until the same age that healthy people need it

Add more if you want.

3. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Man.....A+ for u, i wasn't even thinking about all that stuff, i bet there would be a lot more great looking girls around if that all happened though.

4. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

They really need to change the picture on those handicapped stickers from a person in a wheelchair to a fat person. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw someone getting out of a car in a handicapped parking spot, then getting into a wheelchair. It's always someone elderly or someone really fat.

5. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

6. RabidLonghorn

RabidLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

What about stickers for ********, the ones who take up 4 parking spots with their car, the ones that zip into a spot that a mother with kids was waiting for, they also need stickers for ******** that ***** about fat people.

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I totally agree with you if the obesity is out of being lazy or obsessive compulsive behavior. And don't misread my intent here. I am VERY much in support of charging people more for seats on airplanes or stadiums, anywhere their body infringes or touches others or their space.

But there are legit reasons for some who are larger than most. There are medical conditions such as glands and other things that make weight loss either impossible or not logical. For them, they have my sympathy and support as well as well wishes to a cure and solution.

But for the majority that is not afflicted by a legit medical impairment like this, pay up and walk like the rest. I know that with some they end up hurting themselves or have damaged feet and such but that can be a result of the problem to begin with and could have been avoided. Their pain is legit though, but again, avoidable.

No stickers for you! Invest in a special chair or hoist.

Now to begin my campaign of cutting fingers off of people caught flicking their butts on the ground or out of a car. If not an entire finger per offense, maybe a segment to the next joint of the digit. That makes 14 offenses per hand. Puff-puff, addicts.

8. lecturer

lecturer 250+ Posts

the suggestion or implication that obesity is a condition caused by mere laziness or a simple lack of self-discipline is akin to maintaining drug addicition or alcoholism is just a matter of basic will power.

in fact, many in the medical community are fond of making the point there are nuances present in combating obesity that aren't an issue in drug/alcohol addiction--as an example, one doesn't have to drink alcohol to live, yet one must eat food.

9. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Are you suggesting that some cases or instances of obesity is not from being lazy or eating too much with not enough or any exercise? Because I can show you many instances where you are wrong.

10. lecturer

lecturer 250+ Posts

without a doubt, numerous lifestyle chocies can contribute to or even cause obesity--poor diet, lack of exercise, etc.

there also seems to be a growing body of evidence suggesting genetics and metabolism play a significant role.

11. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

This is true but in most cases, people can adjust their diets with the aid of a doctor or nutritionist and exercise with a workout designed for them by an expert to hold this at bay. I am sure that there is a good number of people who are fighting a losing battle but not by any stretch is it most.

The sedentary nature of our society is a major component of obesity as well as the bad food made available via fast food. Also, some people may use the excuse of genetics without even having that diagnosed as a form of denial.

Everybody's metabolism slows (or most people's do) at some point. Sadly, their workouts or exercise does not speed up or even begin when it does. They just go out and buy bigger clothes.

12. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

13. lecturer

lecturer 250+ Posts

again, the suggestion that people can just "adjust their diets" is akin to maintaining an alcoholic in order to solve the problem, could just quit drinking.

while the statement is true, it's a vast oversimplification.

14. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

I don't think anyone is saying diet and exercise is easy, both physically and mentally, but bottom line, if you intake calories, and don't spend them, they get stored as fat.

15. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

I also think the point of the OP is that obese people should not park in handicap parking spots or get their own handicap parking spots.  I absolutely agree.  I would also not have a problem with senior citizen parking, particluarly those that have difficulty walking.

16. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa 500+ Posts

17. lecturer

lecturer 250+ Posts

you can't be serious.

it's a complete and total oversimplification. obviously, an addict of some sort getting rid of his habit is a little more complicated than just telling them to stop using.

18. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

If you are obese and are having problems, I feel sorry for you. I suggest a better diet and some exercise. Just stop eating bad food for a start. Good luck if this is the case.

19. RabidLonghorn

Any of you hypocrites smoke a pack or two of cigs a day? any of you have a drinking problem? like say wake up every Sunday with a hangover? I know you guys think fat people are the only problem with look around.

20. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

21. lecturer

lecturer 250+ Posts

now might be a good time for 100p to be mindful it is not uncommon for some people to have knowledge and information beyond that which is gained from their own personal experience.

i might add some people eat too much and get fat, others have 25000 posts on hornfans.

22. The Creature

The Creature 100+ Posts

I am considered obese.

I walk. I know my diet isn't exactly ideal, but I absolutely despise the people who use those carts at the supermarket.

Granted, my diet isn't the best, but I've been visiting The Daily Plate over the last few weeks to fix this problem, and have made some major improvements.

I am sadly unsurprised, however, at the deep vitriol some people have against overweight people. Please understand that very few of us are happy with our weight, and I doubt any of us are greedily rubbing our hands at the prospect of taking advantage of your ideal svelte society.

I've suffered my whole life being mocked for my weight and am making an effort to change it. I feel it's the right choice for my health, and I do feel that all overweight people should make that effort, but I do feel a bit of resentment when I see people speaking with such resentment about my weight, as though somehow I'm trying to undermine them by being fat.

I have had many unhappy experiences in my life because of my weight (Had the **** beaten out of me in Middle School) and endured a great deal of abuse because of it. Please, just leave me alone and allow me to fix it. Please. Just let it go.

(By the by, this is a drunk post, so I apologize if I don't make alot of sense).

23. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Wow! you wrote that drunk? you actually write better drunk than i do sober, not bad, sorry you had to experience the things you did.

Someone said something about slowing metabolism and not being able to speed it up? I believe you can speed it up by exercising and eating 5-6 meals a day. (and don't laugh about the 5-6 meals a day thing [​IMG] , they are supposed to be small meals and of course of the right variety.) doing these two things gets the boiler fired up. Don't get me wrong i think overall it will still slow down as you age.

24. LadyHornAustin

LadyHornAustin 100+ Posts

25. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

I think those of you who suffer from advanced entitlement disorder and look at me I am perfect syndrome
    should also receive handicap permits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. RabidLonghorn

What he said.

27. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I am not perfect but I don't over eat, I am not fat, I don't smoke anything and the last hangover I had from drinking was almost 20 years ago. The last time I was "drunk" is almost as long ago. Not for moral reasons, my own reasons.

This is all in spite of a high post count which is also reflective of high IQ, just look at Macanudo. I dare anybody match wits against him or a Sicilian in a battle to the death by wits.

Fiber.

28. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Lady and litnin-
    obesity due to poor lifestyle choices that CAN be reversed. Going to the extreme by using emphysema because of smoking is invalid. The OP wasn't meant to pick on people but one of the behaviors that point to the underlying psychology of their decision making; unwillingness to exert themselves to even walk a little further for their own health.

29. YuppiePrick

YuppiePrick 25+ Posts

I know I'll get struck by a lightning bolt but ---

the first step to getting your weight under control is to stop using a Garfield cartoon as your sig.

30. The Creature

The Creature 100+ Posts

I'll take that as a well-intentioned joke and thus I shall not sit on you in retaliation. [​IMG]

By the by, does it help that it's from "Garfield Minus Garfield?"