OC

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by #2is#1, Jan 18, 2014.

1. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

I will tread lightly as I know it is a sensitive subject.
    I have an honest question to which I truly have no idea of, but speculate.
    We're we trying to get a high powered big time OC and it fell through?
    Given the fact the guys we named we had already hired just no facts given until late.
    I am on the Strong bandwagon and know we will be a much more tough and physical team.
    I do worry on the offensive side of the ball which Charlie might not be as Strong no pun intended,
    I wish he had the best OC and receivers coach and running backs coach and had no defensive coaches than all the experience on the D side.
    Do we hold serve for a year win 9 games and get the OC we wanted?
    Was Charlie after a guy like Kyle Shan. And just couldn't get him?
    Thoughts from the inside?

2. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

I think I'll worry about it, or not, when the 2014 season is over

3. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

Right now I'm counting on Strong to have made the right moves. There is always risk in change, but the last few years have been dismal for the Horns. I like what I see in the new staff.

4. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I'll worry about it in two or three years after Coach Strong has had a chance to recruit his players to play in his system.

I'll give him three years to win a B12 championship. And then win one every three years thereafter. That would be five in 15 years. With a NC mixed in one or two years, or more.

Hey, I am optimistic about where the program is going.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. HornFinc

HornFinc 250+ Posts

I somewhat agree with Taps to wait and see what happens in the fall, but I think it's definitely worth discussion. Wickline is considered to be one of the best at what he's been doing. I know it's more traditional to promote a skill position coach to OC, but Wickline has more than proven he's an outstanding position coach. I think he's ready to prove his talent as a coordinator. Side note, I was walking behind him going into the FEC for the basketball game yesterday, and the guy was smiling ear to ear, laughing with another coach. At that point in time, he seemed to be very happy to be here. I guess I would be too if I just got a promotion to The University of Texas Offensive Coordinator.

6. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

It will be interesting to me to see if Wickline, Koenning or Watson is in the booth and who is on the sideline and how they are communicating during the game.

Wickline and Koenning both have experience with the spread although Wickline may be more familiar with the air-raid and Koenning more familiar with the read-option. With Watson working with the QB from a west coast background, will they come up with a hybred that fits the personal or go with one style? What will Strong want to support the defense?

Spring practice will be interesting. I'm sure the X and O gurus at BC and BON will have a field day with what they see and I'll be glad to read them.