Official Car of the Douche

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by Dude, Jun 5, 2008.

1. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

How's about this blast from the past...The Yugo!!!
    Really this oughtta be about douche cars we've all driven!!!If you've ever driven a Yugo, or a Chrysler K or any of those ridiculous AMC cars you're probably a douche.
    Mine?? A frickin Corvair and a Pinto

2. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

3. random horn

random horn 250+ Posts

my car hasn't been mentioned yet so i guess i'm not a douchebag. i'm so relieved.

4. KingBobo81

KingBobo81 250+ Posts

Ever since I bought my Acura two years ago, I have acted like an Icy Hot Stunta.

5. HornsOverIthaca

HornsOverIthaca 250+ Posts

Wow there's a lot of hate for 3-series drivers on this thread. I guess people just don't get the BMW thing. The car doesn't have over 200-hp but it handles extremely well and is fun to drive (the new models have more power but don't drive as well).The smaller engine gives it better gas mileage and it passes aggressively on the highway. It also does well in the snow with snow tires.
    Some of you also seem to think that once you have a certain amount of money your no longer a douchebag. Apparently you haven't spent much time in 78746.
    I would say Jeep Wrangler's are a douchemobile. "It's a Jeep thing you wouldn't understand" is the essence of it. They're also a great way to get their stupid "I don't wear seatbelts" friends killed.

6. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

this thread sucks

7. beencounting

beencounting 500+ Posts

epic fail is correct , random horn, and it's on you. Vanity should be left to the womens, not men. Are you going thru some sort of mid life crisis where you have to pump the throttle at a stop light in an expensive retro muscle car? "Look at me!" , thats a convertible.

8. beencounting

beencounting 500+ Posts

Ithaca is correct, why is a $45k/year wannabe millionaire with a 3 series any more a d-bag than a $100k/year wannabe millionaire with a 7series of expensive Benz? both are uppity and condescending to others. Besides with nearly 70 replies , this thread lacks an official definition of d-bag --- come up with one.

9. Fried JJ Pickles

Fried JJ Pickles 1,000+ Posts

10. random horn

random horn 250+ Posts

beencounting, it sounds like you're trying to project your insecurities on me. i don't own a muscle car, but i also fail to see how a car is unmanly because it lack a roof.

11. beencounting

beencounting 500+ Posts

random - why did you put up that pic? do you admire convertibles and why? It's the ultimate "look at me!".

Pointing out that vanity in men is something not to be exalted, but avoided, is the right thing to do. Vanity should be left to the womens, but obviously you disagree.

on another note, why would anyone want a Ferrari in Hong Kong? Wow, maybe they will get to go 40mph?

12. random horn

random horn 250+ Posts

been, it's called an example. in this case it's specifically an example of a non-womanly convertible.

a friend of mine has a convertible and doesn't exhibit "look at me" tendencies. some people just like enjoying the beautiful texas days. you should learn to unclench.

13. beencounting

beencounting 500+ Posts

when I saw that car by random horn, first reaction was "middle aged suburban attorney weekend drive around look-at-me". Male vanity is really very laughable and when I see something like that on the road - 'waste of money' and 'man past him prime'. Same goes for a 52yo with a $300k ferrarri -- dude, too late, chics still don't care about you.

14. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

The Z3 and 3 series are just plain fun to drive. It's a relatively cheap and comfortable German F/R with great reliability. Getting a well maintained 2-3 year old 325/8i is about as well as you can do in buying a car.

15. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

The biggest douches are people who judge the character of other people based on what kind of car they drive. Jesus Christ this thread is fail.

16. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

PT Cruiser

17. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Bitchin' Camaro with an Exxon credit card, doing donuts on your lawn. The type that won't even get arrested because his dad's the mayor. They probably drove it up from the Bahamas. It will be in all the papers.

18. The Muzzler

The Muzzler 100+ Posts

Does the car come with a free belly chain?

19. Hornin Hong Kong

Dont be silly about men driving convertibles.

What about this one:

[​IMG]

20. beencounting

beencounting 500+ Posts

still metrosexual type gayness, always a "look at me!". Aside from slight differences in styling, not much difference in any convertible.
    Vanity for men is silly, but then again that defines happiness for some guys.

21. Hornin Hong Kong

I'm confused - would the car be ok if it was a coupe?

Just me, and I thought most guys thougth the same, but driving a high performance sports car is fun. Fun like shooting guns, playing golf at Pebble Beach, watching football and tailgating.

On a sunny spring day it's nothing but pure awesome to take the top down. My first car was a fiat X-19 that I paid 1300 dollars for after mowing endless lawns in 1986. Taking the top down was funt hen, it's fun now.

22. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

No difference in any convertible? Holy cow.
    So a 1966 Corvette is the same as a Chrysler Sebring ragtop? I don't think so.
    Really, some people like cars, for sports car reasons, handling, performance, and some people buy cars as appliances, like a toaster, and some people buy cars because they missed the gold chain open shirt polyester bellbottom pants days of disco balls and white guys with afros playing the BeeGees on their 8 tracks.

23. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

And beencounting, if you don't think women are attracted to guys driving 300,000 dollar cars, even if they are 52, you need to do bean counting. They would probably prefer the driver to be 92, though.

24. Fried JJ Pickles

Fried JJ Pickles 1,000+ Posts

For beencounting -

The fun in a performance car is in the 40-80mph range. Nobody sane drives 120+, but a good car has some "get-up-and-go" that makes it worth driving on regular roads. You can't help but have a devilish grin when you turn off traction control driving at highway speeds and still spin the tires when you hit the accelerator too hard.

As for a convertible, there's nothing like it on a good day. It's not about being seen in a convertible. It's about being able to take in the environment while driving. Doesn't matter whether your thing is a vintage oldsmobile cutlass, a sub $30k convertible or a very expensive roadster. All convertibles are fun to drive. Even a beater convertible on a great day beats just about anything else.

25. Texas007

Texas007 1,000+ Posts

26. Hornin Hong Kong

Was it the DB-7 Vantage or the new one. I absolutely agree it has issues.

The biggest issue on ours (we have a 2002 DB7 that was a hand-me-down to my GF is that visibaility is very restricted because the column holding the windshield means you can't see anything when you turn right with the top up.

However, it has power to burn and is tight as hell. I love driving it but wouldn't buy a new one.

I drove a Cayman a few weeks ago - you may want to consider that over the 911. In fact it feels liek a bettr car in all respects other than engine size The dealer says that they don't want to put the 911 Engine in because it would cannibalize sales.

The Z4 is a dream to drive to. I don't think I'll ever buy anything ut Porsche's and BMWs the rest of my life.

27. Texas007

Texas007 1,000+ Posts

It was the new one. And you're right about the visibility too. Still, it is such a beautiful car. I have a 911 Carrera S now, and it is safe for a good long while. It is fun to drive. I have gotten a Cayman as a loaner a few times when I had my car in for oil changes. I will not argue the Cayman is a better platform with the mid engine lay out. If they put the 3.8 engine from my Carrera S into the Cayman it would be pretty much unstoppable around a track. It really is a joy to drive. That said I have use for the small back seats in the 911. they are not for adults but they suit children just fine though my kid is only a few months old and his mom won't allow him in my car yet. As for the Ferrari F430. My brother in law has one. It is a drak gray (silverstone) not red. He is about the least douchey person you'd ever meet. He has the F-car because it is badass to drive. He takes it to track days and is far far far from a "look at me I have a Ferrari" guy. In fact he probably drives the thing less than he would like simply because he does not want the attention. As for the car itself it is just so incredible to drive. the F1 gear box on that thing is insane. I would think it would be too wide for HK not to mention too congested. It is one hell of a car, but I do see how it can indeed be the look at me douchemobile. In the same vein I see the Lambo Gallardo much more the look at me douche car.

the car I drove was this

[​IMG]

Perhaps part of the issue I had with it is I was comparing it as a true sports car to my Carrera S. I do think the Carrera was the target competitor for the Aston Martin, but the reality is they are very different cars. I think if I compared the aston to the M6 then I cannot think of a circumstance where I would not choose the Aston V8 Vantage over the M6. I was comparing apples and oranges really. I just think the Aston is much more a GT car than a true sports car. It certainly felt that way. that isn't a bad thing really, but i wasn't thinking that way at the time.

28. Hornin Hong Kong

The Aston is definitely not as serious as a 911 I would agree, but damn it's beautiful.

I know what it feel like to be Kate Moss when you drive it.

And as for the F430 - I'd love to be the douchebag driving one, even in HK. In HK there are a lot of red and yellow F430s typically with mainlander industrialists driving their mistresses around at 40 mph.

There a lot of lambourghinis too which are just massive.

I'm going to take a picture of my parking garage and you guys will see why I want a less wide car.

29. FugleBunny

FugleBunny 25+ Posts

Since we are bashing the cars of the same class, the Lexus IS 250 should be thrown into the mix...

or even the Audi A4...and Volvo S40...the list goes on.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

30. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

no douchebag could drive a volvo. sorry man. that **** isn't going to fly.