Official golf course review 2004

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by minivette_horn, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Post your reviews, deals, links, etc. The old golf thread was going back two years. I'm sure things have changed for this golf season.

I'm just starting back playing after a three year hiatus so I don't have anything to post... yet. [​IMG]

2. free=good

free=good 100+ Posts

Good idea.

I'm gonna get back out there myself after a while off. Over the last year or so I've accumulated gift certificates at a handful of places, specifically Forest Creek, Avery Ranch, White Wing and Legacy Hills. Anyone play at any of these lately? Which one should I hit first?

3. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

So far this year in Austin I've played Bergstrom and Riverside. I played Kizer on Christmas Eve.

Kizer was in good shape for winter golf and I'm sure it will be great this coming year.
    Riverside was in nice shape, despite the goofy layout. I also tied my career best (and I gave up playing on that course a few years ago).
    Bergstrom is still the dump it's always been but at least it's cheap, wide-open, and rarely crowded, so I can take my dad out there while he's learning the game. Except for holes 13,14 and 15, the course is in terrible shape. The greens are nice though, even if they are making a few of them even smaller (!).

I've got free rounds coming up at Circle C and one of the courses at Barton Creek in the next few weeks. I'd also like to check out Falcon-whats-it, and Shadow Glen.

4. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

For those who might want free rounds at BCCC:

5. GeeCeeZ

GeeCeeZ 25+ Posts

I played Houston National 2 weekends ago and found the fairways pathetic. The greens were decent for winter but the bare *** fairways made it hard to enjoy the round...esp since they didn't cut you any break ($71) for the poor condition of the course. Hopefully the new owners will improve the conditions before I shell out the bucks to play there again. They've got to realize there are much better courses for less bucks in the Houston area.

6. 1899horn

1899horn 500+ Posts

I played Falconhead over the weekend. The greens were aeriated, but still were in super shape, and much softer than last summer. I predict great things for this course.

7. GeeCeeZ

GeeCeeZ 25+ Posts

Played Cypress Lake last weekend on another visit to the kids in Houston. It's just 1 exit closer to Austin than Houston National and it's in a whole lot better shape. Course is a 70.2/124 from the "back" tees and there's 1 more tee box for you young studs behind that. Fairways were decent and greens in great shape for winter. $55 with a golfq coupon on the weekend.

8. SimplyDevine

SimplyDevine < 25 Posts

played Avery Ranch last Friday. Course was in good shape. They overseeded all fairways, tees, and greens for the winter. Probably wait for that to 'die' out before I go back. Still, in very good shape, especially for the winter months.

If you decide to play there, use golf512...good 20 bucks cheaper...

9. free=good

free=good 100+ Posts

Played Circle C this morning - horrible.

Payed $63 after tax (searched the net for a coupon or special) for garbage. Nice facilities, friendly staff, I think its a good layout. HORRIBLE conditions. The greens were fast, which I think is great, unless they are about the smothness of oatmeal - maybe. Fairways were very bare. I had to play more shots than I wanted to very low as punch shots because there just wasn't any grass to be found to hit off of.

I would stay away from this track unless you have a pass.

10. ghost

ghost 500+ Posts

11. 1899horn

1899horn 500+ Posts

Lago Vista is another course that is fine shape right now. Only the rough was not so well, but the green and fairways were fabulous. And the price is great as well. I can't speak for its evil twin, Highland Lakes, though.

12. I signed up for the email specials from Star Ranch and I received this email last week.

13. LagoHorn

LagoHorn 250+ Posts

Lago and Highland Lakes are both is great shape. Lago is of course the easier of the two courses, but Highland deserves some respect as well.

Falconhead as mentioned is in great shape. The greens the day before aeration were running a 10 on the stemp.

14. 111

111 100+ Posts

Blue Bonnet Hill is in decent shape, greens are exceptionally subpar for the course. They should be back to normal in a month or so I would guess. The rest of the course is in pretty good shape as well.

Blackhawk is horrible. I had never been there till yesterday and I have a feeling I will never go back.

Kiser and Clay are just fine as well.

15. grinder

grinder 500+ Posts

I played Mo Willie a week or so ago, and their greens were in excellent shape. Fairways were a bit rough, but all in all, a great course for the money if you don't mind some tough holes.

I'm playing Bluebonnet on Saturday, hopefully the greens will have improved of late.

16. free=good

free=good 100+ Posts

Played Forest Creek yesterday. Greens were real fast and in good shape. Overall, a bargain compared with other courses in the area. I think I'm going to play it again next week.

17. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

Played Circle C for free this morning.

The course is really neat, and I liked the clubhouse. But the fairways are trasitioning and the greens are just shoddy. Nearly bare in parts. hopefully it will grow in, but for now, I think $65 is too expensive. I'd probably pay 35 or 40.

18. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

19. PhatAtUT

PhatAtUT 100+ Posts

i played plum creek for the first time the weekend before last. it was only $27 to ride on a saturday (cheaper from 3pm on). it was pretty decent. the greens were in good shape. there is not much to the clubhouse and they are in a dry county so there is no beer, but you can bring your own, they even rent coolers for like $1.50. by no means is this a fancy course, but it is certainly better than blackhawk for less $$$.

20. grinder

grinder 500+ Posts

I agree...Blackhawk is a joke.

I played Bluebonnet on Saturday. The course was in good shape, and the greens were true despite being aerated earlier in the week. The sand slowed them down a bit, but in my books that's a plus. I still hate no. 17, though. [​IMG]

21. unpaintedhuffhines

how can a green be true after being aerated earlier in the week?

22. grinder

grinder 500+ Posts

23. unpaintedhuffhines

i guess we're disagreeing with what the term "true" means.

sorry, not trying to argue with you

Played Teravista again yesterday. Still in good to almost great conditions for this time of year.

24. grinder

grinder 500+ Posts

25. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

Played lions this morning.

not too bad. I can't putt on those greens for some reason, but they and the fairways were nice and grassy. The diving range mats suck though

26. SimplyDevine

SimplyDevine < 25 Posts

played at Flintrock Falls earlier this week. In really good shape, greens are pretty quick..only thing was they had tons of crab grass on them, but they still rolled pretty good

27. FluffyToo

FluffyToo 25+ Posts

I played the Lakeway Live Oak course today.

It was in excellent shape but I still have never really liked that course very much. I think its kind of boring. Greens were smooth, but slower than I like them. Fairways are pretty narrow.

But played a 4 hour round of golf on a Saturday, so I really shouldn't complain.

Hook em

28. 1899horn

1899horn 500+ Posts

Riverside was in decent shape over the weekend. The grens were great, but slow, and the fiarways were coming back. It was just a little muddy, but I did have my first 2 birdie round in 2 years.

29. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

Morris Williams sunday:

Next time the mower cuts the fairways will probably be the first. But that's not a big deal, because there wasn't very much grass on them anyways. It was interesting to see you ball send up a puff of dirt as it hit the ground.

Greens are well grown in and putt very nice -- once you get on them. Some of the greens were hard as rocks. I hit a pitching wedge into one green that -- I kid you not -- landed on the green and bounced as high as the flag stick. I might as well have landed on the cartpath. But there was a par-3 green that spends most of the day in shade that was so receptived my 7-iron shot was nearly buried in its own pitchmark -- moved a whole balls width.

But I paid $9.50 with cart, so the poor fairway was ok.