Official golf course review 2004

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by minivette_horn, Feb 17, 2004.

1. grinder

grinder 500+ Posts

Played Teravista yesterday during a break in storms. It's in excellent condition all around. Easily worth the $40 paid after using 50% off coupon.

2. coopspoppa

coopspoppa 25+ Posts

Has anyone played Twin Creeks?

3. hornhooper

hornhooper 100+ Posts

No, but MoWilly is as tough as ever. The greenskeeper started cutting the fairways thin. The greens are sooo short, the greens are soo short that in some spots your cannot see grass. This place will make you work around the greens. The rough is around 5 inches in spots. But getting up and down around the greens is work. Good Luck.

4. hornhooper

hornhooper 100+ Posts

One more thing, The Cedars at Bergstrom sucks. I played at 6:30am this morning and got about a pint of blood sucked out of me from mosquitos. The first 3 holes are by standing water. Ouch!

5. Traffic

Traffic 500+ Posts

Avery Ranch - 7/5/04
    If this isn't the windiest course in Austin then it's second to Bluebonnet. I actually liked the layout more this time than I did my prior two trips out there, but damn it is windy. Maybe this is a bit of hyperbole, but there was some serious wind out there.

I thought the course was in good shape tee to green. The greens were a little bumpy, but all in all not bad. It was $50 including range balls and a cart, which wasn't a bad deal (definitely less expensive than Teravista or Falconhead - but those courses are in a bit better shape).

6. grinder

grinder 500+ Posts

I played Riverside after work yesterday. In good shape, but damn [​IMG] they've got a bad mosquito problem on the back 9 that I've never ever experienced before out there.

7. K-Man

K-Man 250+ Posts

There are mosquitos at a lot of courses these days, especially in the morning. Be sure to spray repellant before you go out, even on your shirt.

I played Kizer this morning at 6:30 and it was like heaven. I finished walking in 3 hours, and that course was in beautiful condition. Saw the sunrise over the lakes and tons of birds.

I've been playing MoWillie a lot this summer. It's not too bad, some of the greens are spotty; that's a challenging course.

I sometimes play 9 at Hancock on Sunday morning before church. That course is just overused, but not as bad as some say. You just have to take it for what it is. 9 bucks for 5-6 pretty well laid out holes and 3-4 boring holes; and you should always expect the greens to be okay at best.

If anyone wants to walk 18 at 6:15 on a Friday morning, shoot me a p.m. (too early for most of my friends...)

8. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

9. ninerhorn

ninerhorn 100+ Posts

I have played Twin Creeks and it is very good. If you have the opportunity to play it, do so.

[​IMG]

10. SimplyDevine

SimplyDevine < 25 Posts

Played Lost Creek yesterday thru a golf512 special...won't be going back there. Plenty of bare spots, 1 temp green, and greens that were about as fast as my carpet...

11. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

Bergstrom 7/22:

Same 'ol Same ol'. Some parts of the greens are burnt out and dirt, but the rest of the greens are actually pretty nice. The practice greens were great. Fairways on the main part of the course are at least identifiable, with most of the weeds being in the "rough" now. 3 holes across the road are in very nice shape.
    Pace of play seems to have slowed a bit. Took 3:20 to get around this time.

12. 1899horn

1899horn 500+ Posts

7/22 riverside

I have only been playing since 1999, but I cannot remember a time when riverside was better. The fairways are in excellent shape. The rough is actually penal, the greens are quicker, but hold your shots. Only the 13th green was a little sandy. I played after 6 yesterday and got in 18.

13. LagoHorn

LagoHorn 250+ Posts

Anyone played Muni is the last few weeks? I am scared from the last time I played there and I'm supposed to tee it up for the City Championship next week.

14. hornhooper

hornhooper 100+ Posts

I am thinking of playing at the CC. I am trying to be there on Monday. I here the course is better but not at it's best.

15. TXSooner518

TXSooner518 250+ Posts

I played Plum Creek on Sun. Aug. 1. The course is in very good condition, very nice fairways and smooth, fairly fast greens. The rough is not too long, but it is a little thick. There are plenty of areas of unplayable weeds. A great bargain for $20-25 on golf512.com. They have coolers on the 1st and 10th tees with free bottles of water, great idea.

16. LagoHorn

LagoHorn 250+ Posts

Played my round in the CC at Muni yesterday. The course is in much better shape than it was a month ago. There are still some patches of dirt on the greens with the 17th being the worst offender (of course the only putt I made all day was on 17 [​IMG]).

I would still give it a few weeks before I spent money there.

17. grinder

grinder 500+ Posts

Hey LagoHorn,

Any updates on the condition of Lago's course? I have a tee time there on Saturday and would like to know if I should find something else. Thanks.

18. LagoHorn

LagoHorn 250+ Posts

Lago is in pretty good shape. The greens are running fairly fast. The cut the rough a bit low, so in some places it is a bit burned, but no worse than anywhere else in town.

19. iamtigerwoods

iamtigerwoods 500+ Posts

Played Teravista this morning and it is still in great shape. Nobody was out this morning so we whipped around the course in 3:45. I still need to figure out how the towels smell so good...I want every towel in my house to smell like the ones they give out...

20. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

Clay 8/16:

Terrific shape, espcially for a city course in August. Actual long rough. greens and fairways full of grass. It was nice.

only $15 with a cart using an email special.

21. unpaintedhuffhines

out at Lakeway, which is the better course, Yaupon or Live Oak? I haven't played out there in so long I can't recall.

thanks

22. LagoHorn

LagoHorn 250+ Posts

I think Live Oak is a better layout. Flintrock Falls, however, is the best course in Lakeway.

23. unpaintedhuffhines

yeah, Flintrock is another level for sure. I played out there a while back.

I've got discounts to the other Lakeway courses from Golf512 but couldn't recall the better course. Are they both in good condition?

24. RaizerAlum

RaizerAlum 100+ Posts

I played Live Oak last month and it was in decent shape. They were reworking a couple of the teeboxes if I remember correctly, but aside from that, it was a nice course. No sand, just a buttload of trees.

25. TXSooner518

TXSooner518 250+ Posts

Riverside 8/15

Still in good shape, fwys very nice, greens smooth and fairly fast. Had potential for my career round until tripling 15, 16, and easy 18. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

26. hornhooper

hornhooper 100+ Posts

I played Riverside yesterday. Nice condition. Best part of the round:
    Played 18 holes in 2 hours and 45 minutes.

27. unpaintedhuffhines

yesterday Clay was decent, not great. However, $15 sure was nice with cart.

Played Falconhead today. $35 on Golf 512, great deal. Greens roll excellent, fairways nice. Windy as f**k, however. I tripled the 11th and 12th (we started on 10) and still ended up with an 81. Not too shabby.

28. chitwood

chitwood 250+ Posts

Played the UT golf club today in a scramble. Great course, really in good shape considering how young the course is. Definitely recommend it if you get a chance to play it.

29. grinder

grinder 500+ Posts

Lions, 8/21: fairways in excellent shape, and the greens are almost fully recovered. All the rain the previous two nights helped soften the course up.

30. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

Falconhead, 8/22:

Nice course. Greens were pretty fast, even after the rain. 17 is just cool. I had a weird game: 8 pars, a birdie, and 5 snowmen (all on par 4s).

I'll go back when the $35 thing comes my way again.