Official Spurs 2007-08 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by C-Man, Oct 30, 2007.

1. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

If the Suns thought they had the Spurs in their heads before, they will maxing out on Lithium from here on out.

2. yourlordarileus

yourlordarileus 250+ Posts

3. Aragorn

Aragorn 250+ Posts

Spurs win again! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Now let's snag one in the desert.

5. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Suns played very well in San Antonio. I would be shocked if this series does not go 7 games.

6. beencounting

beencounting 500+ Posts

Shaq played surprisingly well in Game 2, the best I've seen him in a very long time. 19pts, 14rebs but most impressive was his 4 blocks. Had no idea he could still do that and his block timings were really well crafted. Didn't really rise up too high but technique was excellent with mirroring the body movements of the player and anticipating the release point. Dude was a player last night.

7. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

8. Mitch Cumsteen

Mitch Cumsteen 250+ Posts

Shaq was as good as he could possibly be (at this point in his career) last night, and it still didn't matter. The Suns wilted when the Spurs cranked up the defense and Ginobili and Parker were getting into the paint at will. Phoenix's pick and roll defense is atrocious. In addition to Shaq being a horrible pick and roll defender, you would think that they would at least slide under the pick and make Parker shoot a jump shot every once in a while.

To me, the bottom line is that Phoenix still doesn't come close to playing championship defense, and now that they've slowed down their pace with Shaq, they can't really run away from you on offense either. Getting Shaq was supposed to be the equalizer against Duncan, but they also lost whatever edge they had on the perimeter.

I'm sure that they will play great in games 3 and 4 at home, but I think they're ******.

9. Pitter09

Pitter09 250+ Posts

Suns give up way too many easy buckets. The Spurs dominated in fast break points (23 to 4) and in points in the paint (56 to 42). The problem that the Suns have is defense. Nash has no chance to guard Parker or Ginobili. They don't have the personell with Marion gone to match up with TP and Manu. Stoudamire has absolutely no concept of team defense. To his credit I thought Shaq looked inspired and played hard. But against the Spurs, a lead of any kind by the Suns (double digit or not) isn't safe when you allow the penetration and easy scores the Spurs have been able to get.

This series could look very different after the next two games in Phoenix, but the long and short of it for me is their inability to lock down defensively and force tough shots. The Spurs championship form arrived in quarter 3 last night and that's got to concern the Suns. It started with defense... nasty Spurs championship style defense... and the Suns wilted under that pressure.

To come back in this series they are going to need to figure a way to get something... anything from Barbopsa/Diaw and they are going to have to find a way to force the Spurs to shoot jumpers. They've gone to zone a few times, but maybe not enough.

I also have to question D'Antoni's decision to keep Nash AND Stoudamire on the bench for such long stretches. Nash may need it, but Amare is a gazelle. He ought to play 48 mins if he isn't in foul trouble. He's the only player on the court for them offensively that the Spurs have no answer for.

This Suns team has the ability, no doubt, to turn this series around and come back to SA for Game 5 even at 2-2. But where the Spurs are clearly ahead of the Suns is between the ears... smart, team basketball and execution under pressure. The Spurs still have the advantage in those areas, and in the playoffs (as we've seen before with the Spurs) that is often the difference.

10. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

When it comes to the Spurs, the Suns are a head case.

11. TxArch

TxArch 250+ Posts

12. CaboWabo

CaboWabo 500+ Posts

13. Pitter09

Pitter09 250+ Posts

Tony Parker a été le meilleur joueur ce soir
    41 pts, 12 assts

Spurs-Suns, where domination happens.

Suns fans serenade their team with boos starting in the 3rd quarter and "a mass exodus" (Bill Shoening) in the middle of the 4th. Too good.

[​IMG]

14. RO'Nealicus

RO'Nealicus 100+ Posts

I can't believe the outcome. The pundits picked the Suns before all this started.

Go Spurs Go!

15. Aragorn

Aragorn 250+ Posts

Easy win. Spurs move on. Next. [​IMG]

16. Pitter09

Pitter09 250+ Posts

This thread needed a revival. Spurs get two on their homecourt. Now it's a Best 2 of 3. Has the mental edge turned for the Hornets losing these two in SA. We'll see in a pivotal Game 5.

Great series thusfar.

Go Spurs!

17. Aragorn

Aragorn 250+ Posts

Yeah, baby. [​IMG]

18. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

Gotta take care of business and force game 7 in NOLA.

GO SPURS GO!!!

19. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

Backs to the wall, its do or die for the Spurs. Go Spurs Go!

20. RO'Nealicus

RO'Nealicus 100+ Posts

We need to win the 2nd half!

Arriba Spurs!

21. Aragorn

Aragorn 250+ Posts

Calling my shot now. Spurs win on Monday. Paul and West have the rest of the summer to cry and make excuses.

22. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

Down to one game to decide it all. Go Spurs go!

23. AustinBadger

AustinBadger 250+ Posts

I really hope they can win this. IF there is a one team that can win on a Game 7 on the road, it is this team.

Manu must STEP UP!

!GO SPURS GO!

24. Aragorn

Aragorn 250+ Posts

Spurs by 35. [​IMG]

25. j.e.s.-U.S.

j.e.s.-U.S. 100+ Posts

I'll take the spurs by .35 please...

Come on spurs, play bad in the first half and win the game in the 3rd and 4th please.

26. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

When the first 6 games have been won the home team, winnning game 7 on the road sounds like a fantasy. Then again, SA pulled off a similar feat in 2003 against the Lakers - the first 5 games were won by the home team, and then the Spurs took game 6 in LA by 28 points. Let's hope some of that mojo is still around after five years.

27. Aragorn

Aragorn 250+ Posts

28. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

I just have a feeling that the Spurs are somehow going to gut out a win tonight. They are just going to find someway to win. It might not be pretty but it will be a win.
    GO SPURS GO!!!!!! GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!

29. SubliminalHorn

SubliminalHorn 500+ Posts

30. orangesky

orangesky 25+ Posts

i think tonight is gonna be VERY tough for my boys to win, but if anyone can do it, they can.

GO SPURS GO!!!