Officiating has to be fixed

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by HTownBevo, Sep 17, 2022.

1. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

There has certainly been egregious officiating over the years. But, can it really be a concerted effort AGAINST Texas? Texas is the other flagship team of the Big 12. Why would it behoove officials to purposely try to create losses from horrible officiating?

Sure, one could say that they are being cry babies now, but then the teams coming in could see how bad it is and have second thoughts.

I don't know. Some officials just may not be very good at their jobs, but I doubt it is intentional against Texas.

Saying otherwise is Texagas material.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Except PE the bust was last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think this board in particular has lamented its share of poorly-officiated games and assumed that the WVU/ISU game being played at the same timeslot (but how would anyone know because no one is watching) is some kind of objective, fairly-arbited clinic on how games should be officiated.

We get screwed from time to time, but so does everyone else. Like USC on Sam Ehlinger's clear safety in the 2018 game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

It is a difficult job. Angles/views mean everything. There are too many just flat out missed though given replay can correct so much.

The blantant disregard for OUs tactics of bending the rules also unacceptable.

No great reasons for conference officials. One oversight authority is needed. Crews can still work together and regionally.

5. EMJ426

EMJ426 250+ Posts

I thought arrest wasn’t in December of last year and is just now getting settled? I don’t know, just seems like these kids keep making matters worse. Wish him the best in however both incidents turn out. I trust Sark, so if he allows him to play, I am good with that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Thread: "The officiating has to be fixed"
    :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
    :yes::hookem3::coolnana::herring::deadhorse:
    :lmao::lmao:

Just pin it for perpetuity and save your breath

7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I am now vaguely remembering the original arrest from last year. We weren’t going to a bowl game so no one cared.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

If it was a small amount of marijuana found in Dec it should not have any bearing on decision.
    Unfortunately his attorney appears to have messed up which is why it is in news
    Is that what happened?

9. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

On The Horn, Jeff Howe said they got a tip that the arrest was made yesterday. They called the Van Zandt County Sheriff's Department who confirmed the arrest so they went with the story. Later it turned out the arrest report was wrong. Jeff Howe apologized *profusely* today on the air even tho it was not his call to run the story.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  10. RainH2burntO

This^^^^^
    Just mishandled a bit on 0s side...
    But old news and fully rectified...
    Too bad it resurfaced now and was publicized as it was.
    Doesn't appear he is facing any further action on the matter....just bad publicity and timing when combined with his potential "targeting" (lol what a joke) suspension.

11. RainH2burntO

With the OSU game in 2015/16?? being the exception.
    Haven't seen a hit job like that since the infamous Lakers-Kings circa 2002???ish

12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Wrong,

The Big XII officiating debacle has so many adjectives that could be associated with it, most of which will get you sued. Suffice it to say:

Donnie Duncan is placed in charge of Football Operations - we all know who & what he was.

Duncan ignored Ken Faulkner and appointed Walt Anderson, DDS of Sugar Land to be in charge of officials. WHY? What qualified him?

Over a few years, the Big XII gets an influx of dentists from California & one in particular from Colorado Springs, plus a referee from Atlanta who just happens to finance and/or lease equipment for dentists. Then the software salesman working for a company in Omaha that specializes in software for dentists. Do you think this is a coincidence?

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, there is more than a remote possibility that it might just be a duck.

We have endured more than a decade of incompetence in Big XII officiating. The 45-35 OU game was the first MAJOR game that referee had ever done, BUT he was a dentist from Colorado Springs.

Duncan gets dumped over the Fiesta Bowl investigation. Anderson moves to NFL, and Bowelsby hires Walleye Burks to be in charge of Big XII officials in spite of having Cooper & Mike (two of the five most respected college referees) on the payroll. To make sure that things are "buttoned up" Anderson takes Mike & Cooper to the NFL.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Ah But Sabre
    When the refs smiled on national tv they had perfect teeth.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

That’s a fine write up. Informative. I can’t stand Walt A. ‘‘Twas thinking it was the same head ref in ‘08 vs OU and Tech.

15. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

That was one of the worst called games I have ever witnessed. Or at least as bad as the Grant Teaff retirement party against Texas.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Chin
    Right up there with aggy bonfire "win"

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 500+ Posts

Texas is too big and powerful to receive fair officiating. That’s just my general conclusion over the last 50 years. Now that I’m in my late sixties, I’m resigned to that. In addition, there is too much money involved for any semblance of a clean sport. When we win it’s sweeter anyway, knowing all the “ soft power “ is against us.

• Like Like x 1
  18. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

So many great points and examples....

The first thing that came to mind re these statements: when will we get a competent crew in the Texas - ou game to call obvious holding calls on the ou OL! :angry:

19. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

After the Texas band played a moving tribute to A&M the chickensh- -ts took Colt out. And I seem to remember that the morning of the game the Texas team could not get served breakfast before leaving for Pyle field. Anybody remember that? Do I remember right?
    Aggies have no class.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

How about reimplementing the old rule that every HC can black ball "X" number of officials. Used to be three, but that wasn't enough. Then, we had Abner McCall's parting gift to the SWC. Jim Evans was the worst EVER!. It is my understanding that every SWC coach balled him except Grant.

I used to argue with Fred over who to blackball. With only three, one HAD to be used on Durrenberger. The other two couldn't be fractionally used to spread among Percy Penn, Bill Began, the dentist from El Dorado, Ark., Jim Evans, Shorty Lawson, et al.

I should add that Fred liked the dentist, but he always was good for one call against us at a critical time.

• Like Like x 2
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Chin,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Coach Royal always stayed in Caldwell, just like he had the team at the Holiday Inn in Springdale on trips to XNA.

FWIW, that dump in the Cesspool on the Brazos closed not long after screwing our team.

If whomever was in charge had known what they were doing, they could have called Mark Dennard on his cell, and as bad as Mark wanted to win, he would have fed our kids at his restaurants. Total Aggie, but a class act.

• Hot Hot x 1
  22. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Any feedback / decision on Overshown appeal of targeting call on Sat.?

• Like Like x 1
  23. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

You have that right except Colt did not play in the bonfire game. That was Major Applewhite.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

The bonfire game was '99. Colt was like 12
    The game he got hurt was '07. The breakfast scandal was in '99.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. RainH2burntO

All time fan forum post right there^^^^^^
    ...put it on the wall....sums it ALL up.
    :hookem:
    :lmao:

26. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

2006 game had the late hits on Colt.

27. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Haven't thought of Shorty Lawson in yrs. He called me for a Technical Foul one time. I was sitting directly behind Leon Black a few rows back, right behind & next to the scorers' table.. Shorty was calling his usual sh¡++y game and I was loudly using unacceptably abusive language. Yes, I'm embarrased today, but then I was young & stupid. Anyway, Shortly got tired of my profanity directed @ him, called a "T" pointing @ Leon but looking directly at me. Leon went bezerk, but I got the message...I had just hurt my team, so chilled with abusive language. Shorty had to be the most despised & disrespected official in the SWC. My apologies to Shorty today. My excuse; I was young & stupid.

28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Better than some of us who are now old and stupid

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Hey! I resemble that remark.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Well, truth be known, guilty as charged.

• Like Like x 1