Offseason Buy or Sell

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by El Sapo, May 22, 2018.

1. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Sell. Too many other players sharing the position.
    B/S Our QB making an All conference team, 1st team, 2nd team or honorable mention.

2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Buy, barring constant rotation due to injury. All the high end QBs in the conference graduated last year.

A riff on an earlier question:
    B/S Collin Johnson gets at least 800 yards receiving this year.

3. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sell. Until I see our QBs consistently feeding him when he's partially covered, I won't believe it. CJ's strength is not breaking wide open against man coverage, it's about physically beating his man on the way to grabbing the ball. It takes a QB that is willing to throw it when it's not necessarily there, and I don't know that anyone's at that point yet.

If I were going to bet on an 800-yarder, it would be Humphrey. I could see him being good for six catcher per game, around 70 yards, which puts him around 800 for the year.

Buy/sell: the TE position catches at least four TDs this year and tops 600 yards receiving.

4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Please define this mythical TE position.

5. ProdigalHorn

The TE position was invented by high school coaches who were trying to convince athletic big kids to play offensive line. They were able to delude them into believing that if they worked hard, stayed in shape, and learned to block well, eventually someone would throw them a pass even though they're too slow to get open against real coverage.

At one time, many years ago, The University was so committed to this idea, that they supported it by signing athletic players who could also catch the ball, and then they would throw to them from time to time over the course of the game. It turns out, that's actually legal.

Eventually, the UT coaching staff realized "Why am I throwing to that guy? I can't even complete passes to my wide receivers, and they can actually run!" So that sort of went away.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Sam showed a bit of this in the Spring game, but it was on balls thrown to Lil Jordan.
    If LJH and CJ both build that kind of telepathy with Sam, watch out.

Sell sell sell. Baby steps! I think 300 yards would be considered huge from this position.

B/S?: LJH gets the most yards receiving this year. Duverney has the most YPC. And CJ has the most TDs.

7. ProdigalHorn

Buy, buy, and hold. You did mean TD receptions, right? If we develop a run game, I expect very few TD passes inside the 10, and that's where I tend to think CJ makes his money (theoretically - they really haven't used him for that, yet.)

8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Agreed, at least until Herman inserts a fade into the playbook, and/or learns that 6'6" and 6'5" is taller than 5'10", OR that the CB isolated on one of them is a true freshman with no safety over the top.

Thank you, Ruffin McNeil for the opportunity.

:deadhorse:

9. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

I remember one spring game (I believe 2001) where Bo Scaife made a spectacular catch (for a TE) and LonghornGirlie exclaiming "I love tight ends!". Obviously before Mac learned the UT tradition of the position wasn't really a viable one for catching passes.