Ok, that's enough, I'm buying a hybrid.

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Mister Falcon, Apr 26, 2008.

1. The Bloak

The Bloak 100+ Posts

I traded an F-150 in for a Camry Hybrid and couldn't be happier with my decision.

Granted I drive a lot, +/- 25,000 miles/yr, but I went from roughy 18 mpg to around 43 with my Hybrid. As gas prices continue to climb (and they will only continue to do so per my father who works in the oil industry), I will be happy to drive my Camry 250,000 miles and save thousands in gas before buying my next vehicle.

2. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

Wait until they replace the batteries with the EEstor capacitors and use diesel engines instead of gas.

3. Mister Falcon

Mister Falcon 250+ Posts

I meant to ask "Who only drives a new car for 5 years?"

The answer is: Not someone who's overly concerned about saving money. To each his own.

4. bobtheking

bobtheking 100+ Posts

[​IMG]

What about this bad boy? Is this cool?

5. softlynow

softlynow 1,000+ Posts

6. HornsInTheHouse

HornsInTheHouse 500+ Posts

7. RayDog

RayDog 500+ Posts

On the other hand I see hybrid owners as fiscally and environmentally irresponsible, or at least immature in the decision making ability.

8. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

What about those new Flux Capacitors I hear are coming out?

And just for the record -- that's the 80's movie reference in this thread. I believe someone stated that gas prices would invert????

9. Orange&White

Orange&White 1,000+ Posts

The TSX is a great car but gas mileage wise, it is less than spectacular. It is a very heavy car with a not very big engine.

I had one for a bit and loved it.

10. Orange&White

Orange&White 1,000+ Posts

Toyota has been producing a car outside the US since 2005 called the Aygo. The plan is for it to be sold in the US in the next year or so. It will sell for under $20K and gets phenomenal gas mileage for a non-hybrid.

Gas powered engine goes 47 City/57 Highway
    Diesel runs 44/70

Toyota Aygo

Definitely not for me, but figured I'd pass it along.

11. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

To me it is like looking at the breakeven point at a home refinance and it all depends on your starting and ending point, and this will be different for each individual...as will the miles driving per year.

Driving 15,000 miles per year (at $4/gallon):
    15 MPG = 1000 gallons purchased in a year = $4000 per year
    20 MPG = 750 gallons purchased in a year = $3000 per year
    30 MPG = 500 gallons purchsaed in a year = $2000 per year
    40 MPG = 375 gallons purchased in a year = $1500 per year

So maybe it doesn't make real sense to go spend 5-10k extra in a more fuel efficient vehicle when you are already driving something that gets 25-30 MPG. You may only be saving $500-$750 per year. But if you are going from 15-20MPG to 40MPG.....well then you are saving $1500 to $2500 per year on fuel. In just 4 years you will have saved from $6000 to $10,000. Add in some tax incentives (which they need to do more of) and I think people start making these decisions.

12. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

13. pied2

pied2 100+ Posts

14. txlonghorn4x4

txlonghorn4x4 25+ Posts

I work for Lexus, and our hybrids, specifically the RX400h are going faster then we can get them on the lot.

15. RayDog

RayDog 500+ Posts

16. LongIslandIceSIP

LongIslandIceSIP 500+ Posts

my friends who have bought hybrids did so to save time on their commute. In California, you can use the carpool lane if you drive a hybrid (and are lucky enough to get a carpool sticker). Some older hybrids with carpool stickers on them sell for more than the newer hybrids without the stickers on them.

Time = money, so for some people avoiding traffic is worth the hybrid.

For me, hybrids don't make sense. If I want to use the carpool lane to avoid traffic, I'll buy a street bike. 80 MPG on a little Ninja 250cc, and they are about $3.5K.

17. Mister Falcon

Mister Falcon 250+ Posts

In reply to:

18. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

19. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I am surprised that on one has mentioned a Honda Fit. Almost as good gas milage as the new (to the US market) Smart car, but with a back seat and tons of storage.
    Also, the Fit costs about 10k LESS than a Prius.

It should be noted that I am NOT a Toyota fan, and while I am not really a Honda fan either, I think the Fit is an AMAZING car, and the new Hydrogen leases in SoCal have my hopes up.
    Fact is, at some point technology will bring to us cleaner and cheaper fuel sources than petrol. I just pray it is soon! It isn't a matter of if though, it is a matter of when.
    My bet is that hydrogen cells will be the winner, but it will be about 15 years before they are the majority new car power plant sold.

20. pied2

pied2 100+ Posts

21. pied2

pied2 100+ Posts

22. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

pied2, sorry I missed your references. I guess I read through the thread too quickly.

I do believe the Fit has more total room than the other 3, but since you own one, I would love to hear what you mean by it is in a 'different class' Do you just mean the fact that is is more no frills?
    Also, I would love to hear about your ownership experience. I got a Mazda3 over a Fit about a year ago, mainly because I like the added power.

23. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

24. pied2

pied2 100+ Posts

25. texashorne

texashorne 250+ Posts

These get good gas mileage..
    [​IMG]

26. pied2

pied2 100+ Posts

27. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

28. pied2

pied2 100+ Posts

In reply to:

29. RayDog

RayDog 500+ Posts

30. RayDog

RayDog 500+ Posts

Why the rolley eyes Falcon?

It has been shown that Hybrids require more total resources than similar gasoline powered vehicles. This fiscal analysis didn't even include that the batteries are environmental disasters at all stages from mining, through manufacturing to disposal.

Not to mention that there is a more negative environmental impact from the manufacture of any new car, versus driving an existing car that still has reasonably good emissions and has sunk environmental costs on the front and back end.