Oktoberfest beers

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by FridayNiteLites, Sep 16, 2011.

1. FridayNiteLites

FridayNiteLites 500+ Posts

I'm hosting a Oktoberfest themed get together with some friends and wanted to know some opinions on what beer to serve that would be in keeping with Oktoberfest. I like Kostritzer, Spaten Optimator, and Warsteiner, but I'm looking for some alternatives to the dark stuff in case some turn their nose up at it. Suggestions please.

2. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

why not include some micro-brewed themed limited release ooctoberfest beers. st. arnold has a good one.

3. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

I like Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen myself.

List of Oktoberfest beers
    Try this link out and see if you can drink all 682 of them [​IMG]

4. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

If you want to support something more local, Real Ale has a decent Octoberfest.

5. FridayNiteLites

I like Real Ale for the most part. I didn't care much for their IPA or Firemans but loved the coffee porter. I'll give the Oktoberfest a try.

6. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

For a good, old-line Oktoberfest beer, I agree that Paulaner Oktoberfest is hard to beat

7. FridayNiteLites

I'll put the Paulaner on the list with the Real Ale. Anything else? Anyone had the Shiner Oktoberfest or the New Belgium Hoptober?

8. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

IMO, Ayinger's is better than Paulaner. For something different, try Aecht Schlenkeria Rauchbier Marzen if you can find it. Being a smoked beer, it goes great with BBQ

9. FridayNiteLites

I went to Specs. They had Paulaner, Shiner, Real Ale Oktoberfest beers. They had another called Erdinger so I got some of that also. I had a Paulaner Doppelbock with a 8% ABV, not bad. Thanks for the help.

10. envgeo

envgeo 500+ Posts

Couldn't decide what I wanted at the store today so I bought real ale octoberfest and shiner octoberfest. Real ale is slightly malty, not hoppy. Shiner is slighty hoppy not malty. Very Slight difference between the two. I like them both. Just different.

11. South Austin

Erdinger is the ****.

12. FridayNiteLites

SA, I'm not up on the current local vernacular, so I'm hoping that means Erdinger is good. I did try some Hofbrauhaus and it's okay. Not as good as when you are sitting in the beer hall listening to old men play polka. Sure wish the Augustiner sold their beer in the US. I thought it was some of the best beer I ever had.

13. South Austin

14. FridayNiteLites

Thanks for clearing that up for me SA. Next time you are in Munich, go to the Augustiner braurei and you will like what they serve, food is pretty good also. I plan on hitting the Andechs Monastery on my next trip as I understand it is the best beer in Munich.

15. uisge beatha

FNL,

Go to Augustiner, Lowenbrau, or Paulaner's Brauhaous and you'll get excellent beer. Haufbrauhaus if you want the full tourist experience. But Andechs is "the shits". My preference was the dunklels (dark lager). Besides the beer, go to explore the Kloster - well worth a day trip. As an aside, Carl Orff is buried here.

16. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

Brooklyn Brewery's Oktoberfest is pretty damn good.

17. FridayNiteLites

I have Andechs on my list on my next trip to Bavaria. I hear the food is pretty good at the restaurant overlooking the lake. I had a nice Austrian beer in Salzburg called Stiegl that tasted great with the kase kreiner und semmel. Sounds like I need to make another trip to Specs for some addition testing bottles.

18. Big Horn

Big Horn 100+ Posts

Spaten's Oktoberfest is very good. I also agree that Erdinger and Ayinger make great Hefes. So does Fransiskaner. Ayinger's double bock Celabrator is one of my favorite double bocks.

If you are in Munich, the Augustiener brauhaus and not too far away, the Augustiener biergarten are worth the trip. That is some tastey bier.

I was just over there and had several different rauch biers in Bamberg as well as spending four nights in Munich.

19. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

20. uisge beatha

BH,

I just had an Aecht Schlenterla Rauchbier Marzen last weekend - it was excellent. I would love to try it over there. i am envious.

21. FridayNiteLites

Men, there is something to be said about the greatness of grilled sausage, potatoes, sauerkraut, and good beer. All those selections were really good and people enjoyed them. I will make Erdingers a regular in my beer fridge. Paulaner was very nice with some honey taste too it and the Real Ale was a good local choice. Thanks for all the input. If you haven't put on an Oktoberfest party at your house, your friends will love you for it. [​IMG]

22. dheiman

dheiman 1,000+ Posts