Old Austin photo from 1959..

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by dallas_the_tiger, Aug 19, 2008.

1. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

2. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I'm pretty sure East Avenue was the east side of that road, but Interregional was the name of the west side. The IH-35 feeder roads retained these names for years, maybe they still do.
    In the original couple of pictures, you can see, just south and east of the auditorium, the old National Guard Armory building that was probably a skating rink at the time, or the skating rink was the building just next door to the armory (the armory has the large billboard on top). The armory, of course would soon become the Armadillo World Headquarters.
    The New Orleans Club was the place to see Roky and the 13th Floor Elevators, went there many a time.
    I saw a couple of minor league games at the old Disch Field. Then you could go to an open air place on the corner of Barton Springs Road and Lamar for slices of watermelon.
    And there was a playland park with rides across Lamar, where KFC is now.

3. killerfrog17

killerfrog17 250+ Posts

Wow, Austin pretty much didn't have a skyline at all then.

4. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

5. accuratehorn

The Stallion was great! They had the little jukebox selectors at each booth, remote boxes, where you flipped the pages to pick a song, three for .25. If you could ever refrain from ordering the chicken-fried special, which was hard to do, they actually had good burgers and fries, too.

6. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

The last time I went there, the booth bench seat was propped up with a cinder block. [​IMG]

That place was a true north Austin Austin icon, unlike today's wannabes. Kelso was still living in New Hampshire when the Stallion closed down.

7. accuratehorn

Don't forget that Stallion soggy salad that came with the chicken-fried, it was covered with some yellow/orange dressing of some sort, but it was actually pretty tasty.

8. longyak

longyak 250+ Posts

9. longyak

longyak 250+ Posts

ORANGE PANTS!!! 1949.

[​IMG]

10. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

11. hook1997

hook1997 25+ Posts

Where can you find some prints of some of these photos?? Anywhere would love to have some?

12. longyak

longyak 250+ Posts

13. accuratehorn

The Bowl-O-Rama was Bobby Layne's Bowl-O-Rama when I was a kid. The sign had his picture in a football uniform, number 22, I believe.