Old UT Photos

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Dionysus, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I always heard when a virgin graduates from UT the horses will fly.

I actually knew a virgin who graduated....no, really! She was so naive she made a comment that she couldn't believe so many girls on campus had clitoris. No, really!

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Always loved the Littlefield statue and fountains.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I know, me too. I almost never went that direction though because everything on campus is east of the fountain. Only in the area if going to the PCL.

4. WorsterMan

Or to wander down South to oggle at the Kappa house :bow:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  5. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

The breakfast taco trucks used be right there on 21st in front of the fountain. Mmmm.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

No Hare Krishnas out by the cross walk like in the 70's.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

As usual, not enough parking...where's the purple lot? :smile1:

• Like Like x 2
  8. HornDawg1957

HornDawg1957 100+ Posts

Those fans in 1945 would've been cheering for Bobby Layne and for my father's high school friend and teammate, Ralph Ellsworth. Ellsworth would throw a touchdown pass to Layne in the '46 Cotton Bowl win over Missouri, a game in which Layne had three rushing TDs, two passing TDs, the aforementioned receiving TD, and four extra-point kicks, accounting for all of Texas' 40 points in the game.

• Like Like x 2
  9. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

"Saaaaalvation sandwiches! Spiiicey iced tea! Lemoney lemonade!"

10. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

1883: Earliest known photo of the UT campus. West wing of the old Main Building.

UT turns 134 years old September 15th.

1883.jpg
    @JimNicar

• Like Like x 4
  11. WorsterMan

Amazing what a sharp contrast that photo is to that same campus view today!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Athletic Director Mike Perrin and O.J. Simpson at the LA Coliseum
    September 23, 1967

perrin-oj.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  13. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

What a great thread. Love seeing old images like these.

14. WorsterMan

Great photo of Perrin.

I was in Jr. High but I remember the UT home & home series with USC with RB OJ Simpson. I was a passionate Horn fan in those early days of my youth. USC won both but both games were low scoring, hard fought and the Trojans won by only 3-4 points.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  15. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

1899: The entire UT graduating class, seated on the steps of Old Main.

1899.jpg
    @JimNicar

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

1934: Removing the cornerstone of Old Main before it was razed and replaced by the Tower. Now in the Main Building loggia.

1934.jpg
    @JimNicar

17. WorsterMan

Ok, I have not read why but always wondered about the decision to raze Old Main?

18. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

@WorsterMan See the post link below on the UT History Corner site by Jim Nicar. The main consideration was increasing the size of the library.

UT History Corner: How to Build a Tower

Excerpt from the post:

The Main Building with its 27-story Tower was to be the long-term solution to a problem that had plagued the Board of Regents for decades: how to increase the size of the library. The University library was initially housed on the first floor of the old Main Building, but as its holdings increased, the space needed for additional bookshelves literally squeezed the students out of the reading room. The problem was temporarily relieved with the construction of a separate library building in 1911 (now Battle Hall), but by 1920, its quarters were again hopelessly overcrowded. A new library was needed, but where to place it?

While the crest of the hill at the center of the Forty Acres was the obvious best setting for such a monumental building, it would have meant the destruction of the Victorian-Gothic Old Main. As the first structure on the campus, it was the sentimental favorite of both of faculty and alumni, and its offices and classrooms couldn’t be easily moved elsewhere. There simply wasn’t room.

Proposals included the addition of a new library north of Old Main, or, perhaps, to the south, where it would have sat in the middle of today’s South Mall and prevented the development of a grand main entrance to the University. A third scheme was to expand the existing library, double the size of the front façade, and add a 16-story tower for book stacks. All of the proposals either placed the library in an inconvenient spot or were too expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

More about Old Main and the new Main Building (from the same blog post linked above).

The back, lower part of the current Main Building was completed first, in 1934. Officially named the “library annex,” it was connected to Old Main, which can be see on the right. The Life Sciences Library, along with the Hall of Texas and the Hall of Noble Words, is still here.
    main-building-construction.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

1912: The new UT library — today’s Battle Hall — set the Mediterranean Renaissance style for the UT campus.

1912.jpg
    @JimNicar

• Like Like x 2
  21. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

1900: UT Chemistry Prof Gene Schoch spent $150 on instruments at a local pawn shop to found the University Band — today’s Longhorn Band.

band.jpg
    @JimNicar

• Like Like x 3
  22. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

1936: A view of the football stadium and baseball's Clark Field II, with its chalk cliff outfield, now the location of Bass Concert Hall.

clark-field.jpg
    @JimNicar

23. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

1937: Library staff pose in front of the just-opened Main Building and Tower, then the new central library for UT.

1937.jpg
    @JimNicar

24. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

1915: Texas-OU week.

Ram the sooner!

1915-tx-ou.jpg
    @JimNicar

• Like Like x 1
  25. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

DKR and the Horns, 1963 Texas-OU game

1963-dkr-crop.jpg
    @TexasExes

• Like Like x 1
  26. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

1904: Rush hour on University Avenue. To the right of Old Main is the brand new Engineering Building, today’s Gebauer Building.

1904.jpg
    @JimNicar

• Like Like x 1
  27. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 2
  28. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Dedication program for Memorial Stadium vs Aggy.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  29. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

1933: A rare view looking down University Avenue. For only two years — 1933 to 1934 — was the Littlefield Fountain seen in front of UT’s Old Main before it was razed to make room for the present Main Building and Tower.

Old-Main.jpg
    @JimNicar

• Like Like x 2
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

On this day in 1969

• Like Like x 2