Old UT Photos

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Dionysus, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

"Fite Nite" at Gregory Gym 1933.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Clark Field with billy goat hill.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

1904: A horse-drawn wagon from the Houston Packing Co. delivers a variety of meats to UT’s B. Hall, the first men’s dorm. For a time, the ground floor restaurant served as the main campus eatery for students and faculty. That's Old Main up the hill to the right.

1904.jpg
    @JimNicar

• Like Like x 3
  4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I bet that meat was a lot better than the stuff they served at Jester.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Old Clark Field view from the East.

upload_2019-3-6_8-40-41.png

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The smokestack? A heating plant? Small electric generation plant? Incinerator?

7. WorsterMan

Not sure but I believe it is still on campus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Hmmmm, then I'd guess it must be part of what are now the facilities building(s) behind the Geology/Antropology buildings on East Mall.

9. WorsterMan

Students attending UT School of Military Aeronautics. Probably taken during WWI based on message on the shoes with Old Main in the backgound.

upload_2019-3-6_12-44-35.png

• Like Like x 2
  10. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

While my girlfriend, now wife, was living in Kinsolving I would frequently eat there with her. That is until we parked in the lot behind the building and walked past a delivery guy delivering meat labeled "grade D but edible". I didn't know that was even a grade of meat, but it is and I never ate there again.

• WTF? WTF? x 2
  11. WorsterMan

This reminds me... unfortunately grade D is what Taco Bell and some other fast food joints use for "beef". It's 1 step up from meat used for pet food! I stopped eating at Taco Bell long ago. Makes you wonder what grade is the chicken they use in their products. :puke:

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Yep, people wonder how they can offer $5 complete meals and still make a profit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

March 7, 1901: The Texas Legislature officially designated the Texas Bluebonnet as the state flower. It was blooming on the UT campus then, and still is today.

1901.jpg
    @JimNicar

• Like Like x 2
  14. hornde68

hornde68 250+ Posts

Referring to the smokestack in Clark Field photo. It was, and still is, an electric generation plant. Until the late 1970’s UT was capable of self generating all its power. The old unit was upgraded during WWII to remain operating in case of invasion. At the same time a tunnel system was built from 1940’s vintage buildings to one another so as to stay open if the USA were invaded. We reached Kinsolving from Moore-Hill via the tunnels.
    The generator (or lack of fuel) drove the best week in my UT history. In Jan 1974, just post OPEC embargo, LoVaca gathering company cut UT off nat gas without notice. The spring semester was postponed a snowy week until it was sorted out. Austin full of students with nothing to do. Damn fine week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

1933: Construction of the first phase of the Main Building and Tower. For about two years, the front of Old Main (you can see the central tower upper right) was connected to the lower, back portion of today’s Main. A New Deal grant permitted construction to resume.

1933.jpg
    @JimNicar

16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Old Geology building with shell and minerals frieze.

[​IMG]

New Geology building with library stacks (IMHO architecture took a wrong turn in the 1950s through 1970s).

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Women students doing calisthenics in Anna Hiss Gym.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Registration / adds and drops in Gregory Gym. The (now obsolete) telephonic TEX registration system fortunately made this obsolete. My first year or two, I had to do this in the Erwin Center. What a chaotic madhouse!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Telescope/observatory in Painter Hall, 1934.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

This old postcard shows the location of the old Clark Field in relation to Memorial Stadium.

[​IMG]

21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Sort of fits the general topic

JFK's 1962 Moon Speech he gave in Rice Stadium
    Can see his hand-written note adding "Why does Rice play Texas?" before the famous tagline

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  22. WorsterMan

upload_2019-3-13_15-41-58.png

• Like Like x 1
  23. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I actually fought the lead Fite Nite bout in 1979–lost a split decision. Dang!

• Like Like x 1
  24. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

1965: When “Unimatic” parking meters charged a nickel per hour to park on the UT campus.

1965.jpg
    @JimNicar

• Like Like x 1
  25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Great piece of history there.

JFK's other draft said "Why does Rice play Texas? To get more than ten thousand butts in the bleachers of this huge stadium."

Kidding aside, Neely had some good teams, and Rice was a fairly decent draw before the Houston Oilers came around.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Note to self: don't piss off this guy.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Sweatt stands in line to register for classes.

[​IMG]

30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Parade car.

[​IMG]