Olt up, Snider sent down

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Horn2Run, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

...per a twitter tweet Diamond Talk sez

2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Should've waited until September. It doesn't send an awesome message when Wash sits anyone for him.

Is he going to tell Michael Young to take a breather? The guy who's basically the captain of the team and coming off of his best season ever (despite his current slump)?

Is he going to tell Beltre to take a break? One of the few guys who actually stayed consistent through the team's offensive woes? The team leader in batting average?

Is he going to tell Moreland that he can't regain a position? He was one of the lynchpins to their success in the postseason run last year. Now he's going to have to sit while a guy three years younger gets his time before the usual call-up period?

Is he going to go with Soto at catcher and let Napoli be the guy who doesn't get PT at DH or 1B? Nice to let your spark plug sit while the guy below the Mendoza line gets to play.

Either way, Wash will have some explaining to do to the rest of the team.

3. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

It will be interesting to see how Wash handles this... the media will be all over him today...

4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

On the other hand could this be the Rangers trying to determine if there is a place for Olt in the near future? If not, his trade availability has to be reconsidered. The Rangers need a bat and need to sit/motivate Young.

5. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

I have no problem with this move. Last night's offensive outburst notwithstanding, Wash needs to do something to inject some life into the offense on a consistent basis. If it helps, great. If not, he goes back down for more reps in the minors.

6. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

might be the first step to sending Michael Young on his way..... if Olt does well, he takes MY's role of playing DH / 1B / 3B in rotation.

Apparently they can't trade MY b/c of that fat contract, so IF Olt can produce more at the plate than MY thru Sept, it'll only cost Texas 500k more next year to DFA / releaseYoung in February.

You're right, this clubhouse is going to be an interesting place to be the next 4 weeks while Olt gets some AB's and MY gets fewer AB's than in the past. Wash is in abad spot...you know he likes MY, while JD would rather see MY go...Wash is probably told to play the young guy.

Mercy.

7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Horn2 - good analysis of Olt & MY situation... that is likely how this thing is going to play out. This will be uncomfortable for Wash and the team... but it has to be done - MY has shown few signs of breaking out of this long, long slump..

8. Alex_de_Large

Alex_de_Large 1,000+ Posts

Hard to keep Napoli out of the line up with that power. But, damn, can he just put the bat on the ball a little more?

9. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

MY is probably headed to be a 2B/SS and overall utility backup for a NL team next year. It'll do him well, to be honest. He's beloved here but with the stockyard of players coming up, he needs to go somewhere that he will actually play and get scheduled breathers.