Olympics Thread

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Jul 16, 2021.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

With a Longhorn on Team USA, thought we should have a thread dedicated.

The biggest challenger to Team USA took a huge hit this morning when Liz Cambage dropped off the Australian National team. The Opals only had an 11-player roster with no alternates so now they’re down to 10 and lost their best player:

UPDATED: Liz Cambage opts out of Olympics

• Like Like x 1
  2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Shows how much I know…the Opals beat USA in the exhibition. Maybe Dawn shouldn’t play 2 and 3 point guards simultaneously for most of the game.

:e-thinking:

• Like Like x 1
  4. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Maybe they should send the WNBA all-star team to Tokyo instead of the Olympic team they have chosen.

• Like Like x 1
  5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I don't see how any national team representing the USA does not include players like Jonquil Jones, Dewanna Bonner, and a couple of others. I know they have to cut it off somewhere, but... So glad Ariel is getting the much deserved chance for this experience.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Jonquel is Bahamian but plays for the Bosnia-Herzegovina national team. I’m fine with them not taking Bonner - I find her antics on the court incredibly irritating. My biggest complaints as far as player selection are the most recent exclusion of Nneka Ogwumike, sticking with a declining Lindsay Whalen over Courtney Vandersloot (who joined the Hungarian national team after not getting a shot with Team USA) and running Candace Parker off before the 2016 Olympics. Nneka has been to every Team USA camp for the past decade so it’s not like she isn’t committed - the selection committee said it was because she was injured when they chose the team but so was/is Diana Taurasi (did not play last night).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Women open play late tonight vs Nigeria. 11:40 CT, USA network or livestream on NBCOlympics.com

• Like Like x 4
  9. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Former Longhorn Yvonne Anderson is playing for Serbia and scored 12 points in their win over Canada

• Like Like x 5
  10. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Thanks DFW! I have it set to record. Tomorrow I'll get to watch this game and also USWNT (soccer) vs. Australia.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4