Olympics WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Aug 6, 2016.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Link to full game schedule: http://www.usab.com/womens/national-team/olympic-schedule.aspx

Link to NBC’s basketball coverage-WBB is on the bottom half of the page:
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/basketball

In Austin, looks like NBCSN, TWC 314 will show the first USA game.

USA is in Group B. Game times for the USA team:

PRELIMINARY ROUNDS

Game One:
    Sunday, August 7, 2016 vs Senegal 11:00 AM EDT

Game Two:
    Monday, August 8, 2016 vs Spain 11:00 AM EDT

Game Three:
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 vs Serbia 2:30 PM EDT

Game Four:
    Friday, August 12, 2016 vs Canada 2:30 PM EDT

Game Five:
    Sunday, August 14, 2016 vs China 11:15 AM EDT

Quarterfinals:
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016
    A1 vs B4 Time TBD
    A2 vs B3 Time TBD
    B1 vs A4 Time TBD
    B2 vs A3 Time TBD

Medal Semifinals
    Thursday, August 18, 2016
    Winner A1/B4 vs Winner A3/B2 Time TBD
    Winner A4/B1 vs Winner A2/B3 Time TBD

Bronze Medal Game
    Saturday, August 20, 2016
    Semifinals 1 Loser vs Semifinals 2 Loser 10:30 AM EDT

Gold Medal Game
    Saturday, August 20, 2016
    Semifinals 1 Winner vs Semifinals 2 Winner 2:30 PM EDT

Last chance to catch Tamika Catchings in the Olympics and possibly Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi. First time to get a look at Elena Delle Donne, Brittney Griner and Breanna Stewart, three players who should be mainstays on future teams for the next two-four Olympics.
    Let's go, USA! Gold medal time! :usflag: :yippee:

• Like Like x 1
  2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

2016 U.S. Olympic Women’s Basketball Team Roster

No: 5 Seimone Augustus 6'0" F

No: 6 Sue Bird 5'9" G

No: 10 Tamika Catchings 6'1" F

No: 14 Tina Charles 6'4" C

No: 11 Elena Delle Donne 6'5" G/F

No: 13 Sylvia Fowles 6'6" C

No: 15 Brittney Griner 6'8" C

No: 8 Angel McCoughtry 6'1" G/F

No: 7 Maya Moore 6'0" F

No: 9 Breanna Stewart 6'4" F/C

No: 12 Diana Taurasi 6'0" G

No: 4 Lindsay Whalen 5'9" G

Starters against Senegal:
    Griner
    Moore
    Bird
    Taurasi
    Charles

Senegal has no one to match up inside--or outside for that matter.
    35-9 at the end of the first. Taurasi leads with 12 pts on 4-4 from BTA. Everyone but Catchings and Stewart played in the first quarter.

3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

And Catchings and Stewart start the second quarter.

4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

At 8:44 in the second quarter, Stewart hits her first FG in the Olympics.

5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

jesus, expect Griner and Stewart to be on Olympic rosters til they retire. I can't wait to start seeing UT players on the squad. it has been a very long time since we have had a Texas player on the Olympic team.

6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

64-21 at the half, USA.
    Leading scorers: Taurasi w/ 12 pts; Griner and Stewart with 10 pts each.
    Every player has scored except for Bird who leads with 7 assists.
    Griner has two of the team's three blocks.
    The USA is shooting 72.2% from the field and 55.6% from BTA.

Opportunity for new players in 2020: try PG where the three players that handled the ball for the USA are 34 or older: Bird (35), Whalen (34) and Taurasi (34). It's unlikely any of the three will be back in 2020.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Easy win for the USA over Senegal, 121-56.
    Seven players in double figures:
    Taurasi, Stewart & Fowles with 15
    Griner with 14
    EDD & McCoughtry with 11
    and Charles with 10.

Bird had 8 assists and EDD ended up with six.

Griner led with 7 rebs and Fowles was second with six.

8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I thought not getting one of the younger PGs on the roster for that very reason was the second most questionable decision made by USA Basketball, the first being Candace Parker. That was only reinforced by the Team USA vs Team Select game when Odyssey Sims outplayed Bird and, for lack of a better word, clowned Whalen.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unless someone else steps up, I think Vandersloot and Sims are probably locks for the 2020 team. Can't really see anyone surpassing Sims, though.

10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Really dislike those morning, early afternoon games. Gonna miss two games I wanted to see: Monday vs Spain and Friday vs Canada. Gotta wonder if the twins will in line to compete for spots on Canada's team in 2020 and beyond.

11. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

12. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

From Texas WBB tweet:

In 1988, Andrea Lloyd and Kamie Ethridge became UT's first Olympic women's basketball players.
    [​IMG]

I don't remember any since. At any rate, congrats to our 1988 gold medalists! :hookem2:

My mistake: Clarissa Davis was on the 1992 team that took bronze and Nell Fortner was the head coach for the gold winning 2000 team. Congrats to all four! :hookem2:

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  13. BrewComLey

BrewComLey < 25 Posts

Love the picture. It brings back some great memories and besides it also includes my daughter in the background between Andrea and Kamie.

• Like Like x 3
  14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

USA beats Serbia 110-84 but trailed for the first time in the Olympics, 17-16, before hitting their stride. Taurasi had five 3s in the first half and drained another in the second to end up with six 3s, a new U.S. Olympic record. She also held the previous one with five, hitting that mark twice, including in this Olympics's opening game for the US.

http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2016/08/woly-vs-srb-recap.aspx

Next up is undefeated Canada at 1:30 PM CST.

15. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

16. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

USA up 60-26 over China at the half. EDD hasn't played. Looks like she might be hurt. Saw the trainers and Geno go over to talk to her several times.

Love the way the USA runs their fastbreak. One time, two passes and a layup. Less than three seconds. The ball never touched the floor. I really admire the way the players don't let their ego get in the way of reaching team goals.

Only Griner (10 pts) and Charles (14 pts) in double figures for the USA. Fowles has nine. No other player has more than six. Talk about sharing the wealth. USA also has 22 assists on 26 made FGs. They should challenge their team records for number of assists and total points.

17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

USA playing a bit sloppy in the fourth. Still up 93-51.

18. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

USA finished strong to win over China 105-62. For the second time in this Olympics, the USA set an assist record, recording 40 assists for the first time in a game. That eclipsed the team record set in the first game of this Olympics vs Senegal with 36. That erased the earlier mark of 33 assists set in 2012 vs China on 08/05/12. There's something about China that brings out the assists in the USA. :smile1:

Griner led the way with a double double. She tied Charles in scoring with 18 pts. Fowles (13 pts) and Augustus (10 pts) also reached double figures. Griner was the only USA player to get to double digits in rebounding with 13.

USA made 46-74 (62.4%) from the field, 6-13 (46.2%) from BTA and 7-8 (87.5%) from the FT line. The only thing the coaches could possible harp on was the fact that China was able to find players inside for easy layups when the USA posts ranged out to the FT line on D. Looked like someone lose their player on D but maybe that was simply something they were willing to give up to apply pressure on the perimeter.

USA wins Group B with a 5-0 record. :usa: :coolnana: :yippee::usa:

Single elimination begins on Tuesday. USA will play Japan with the time to be determined. Looks like they are the third game on the day, though.

19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

EDD took an elbow to eye from a teammate during pre-game warmup, should be fine for Tuesday.

The player I've enjoyed most thus far? Maya Moore. She's doing what Lebron does for the men when he plays - rebounds, steals, assists and good defense.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

The Olympic BB schedule says the USA plays Japan at 4:45 on Tuesday

• Like Like x 1
  21. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I was really hoping it would be later, but I should be able to catch the last quarter at least. Thanks, Rexy.

22. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

TUESDAY Quarterfinal Results
    Serbia 73 Australia 71
    Spain 64 Turkey 62
    USA 110 Japan 64
    France 68 Canada 63

Thursday, August 18, 2016-Medal Semifinals
    Serbia vs Spain 2:00 PM EDT
    USA vs France 6:00 PM EDT

Games Thursday will be on TWC 314--NBC Sports Network

Bronze Medal and Gold Medal Games will be Saturday, August 20, 2016
    Bronze Medal Game—10:30 AM EDT
    Gold Medal Game—2:30 PM EDT

The Serbia-Australia result was a surprise. I thought we would match up with Australia in the finals. France over Canada was a bit of a surprise as well but not as much.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  23. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Got home in time to start watching about half way through the third quarter. Team didn't run as well offensively as when Bird is running the offense. I guess she didn't play today to allow her more time to heal for the gold medal game.

USA 86 France 67

USA moves into the gold medal game vs Spain, who took down Serbia 68-54, in the other semifinal.

Sue Bird did not play, out with a knee injury, and Stewart played just under 3 minutes. Bird’s absence was a strong possibility while I was surprised that Stewart only played that little.

It was a tight game in the first half as the quarter scores were 19-15, USA and tied 21 all in the second for a USA halftime lead of 40-36. The USA put it away in the third with defense, winning that quarter 25-8. That held up even though France won the fourth quarter 23-21. The USA had probably their worse shooting game from BTA, going 4-15 for 27%. Taurasi’s 3-9 from BTA led the team. Surprisingly, considering that they have Griner, Fowles and Charles, the USA did not have a single block in this game while France totaled three. They also totaled only 15 assists on 34 made FGs, quite a comedown from their game when they had 40 assists.

Saturday, Serbia and France will play for the bronze medal at 10:30 AM EDT while the USA and Spain will face off for the gold medal at 2:30 PM EDT.

24. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Bronze medal game is on USA, in Austin, TWC 66 & 101.

The gold medal game will be on NBC, Austin TWC 4.

25. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Serbia wins bronze over France, 70-60. First medal in WBB for Serbia. :trophy:

Looking forward to the USA taking gold this afternoon after a tough game with Spain. :usa:

• Like Like x 1
  26. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

:usflag: I cant wait for the game to start aswell,
    I believe that TWC has a channel just for olympic basketball but not sure what channel that is on the austin time warner and channel 10 nbc here.

27. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

21-17 USA at the end of the first. but uncharacteristically, only 6-11 from the FT line.

28. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

If Taurasi heats up, that will make it easier fro the USA. She was 0-4 in the first quarter but has now hit two 3s. :hookem: :uconn:

29. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

49-32 USA at the half with a Lynx connection. Moore with the steal and feed to Whalen for the buzzer beating layup.

Better D and better shooting led to the big edge at the half. Looking good right now. Hope that Catchings gets a chance to play a lot in the second half. Think she was the only USA player not go get in the first half.

30. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

mid court 3pter by Spain's Silvia Dominguez makes it 81-49 USA at the end of three. USA on track to reach 100 pts again in this Olympics.

Catchings got in during the third and has started the fourth.