Olympics

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by mchammer, Jul 23, 2021.

1. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I loved how Wottle would trail the field before turning on what must have been the all-time best kick down the stretch to pull it out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

We all know the Japanese hate the 2020 Olympics. Figured it was mostly the pandemic, but this was an interesting read. Sydney in 2000 had nine cities competing. 2024 only had two cities competing, Paris and LA, so they got 2024 and 2028. Brisbane, Australia got 2032 because it was the only city interested. Finally the IOC may be realizing they have to allow existing infrastructure to be used.

Nobody really wants to host the Olympics anymore, and Tokyo demonstrates the danger

3. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

We need to do all of this in one or two places. We need to stop doing it in climates like Tokyo. It's as idiotic as playing the World Cup in Qatar.

• Like Like x 1
  4. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

That's a thought. Athens and Paris for Summer Olympics? Though seems silly to never do it in the Americas again.

5. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Maybe it should be in one place per continent. I don't know. I agree with all the duplicative infrastructure.

6. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

The US should get it every 4 Olympics. We are drowning in infrastructure. We could host it every 4 years easily and not use the same city twice in a century.

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I don't want it in the US until someone shows me hard evidence that the community makes money off of it. I don't mean the hokey-pokey ******** accounting like the Super Bowl produces.

I am waiting for proof that any Super Bowl has made money for the community. Same is true for "World's Fairs" and Olympics. They are a reason for everyone's brother-in-law to get contracts and kickback money to the local politicians while the community suffers.

Last major event that benefitted a city was Hemisfair, and that was because of the way politicians designed the facilities for future use to benefit the city rather than the greedy politicians pockets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. 2003TexasGrad

Houston and DFW have plenty of stadiums and arenas already in use, golf courses, waterways etc. There wouldn't really need to be any new construction. Surely the local economies would benefit?

9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Houston would lose money like they did on the Super Bowl, not to mention Harris County already has over $1.5 billion in bond debt that they can't service.

But, hey, we have lots of buses and trains that go NOWHERE and carry NO ONE!

• Like Like x 1
  10. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

That's nice to see. Sometimes we have to realize that people may not think what we assume they think. Assuming is political.

• Like Like x 2
  11. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

I would absolutely watch "Kayaking on the Trinity with the Alligator Gar" race. Although I don't think Gar are like sharks, the build-up might be interesting.

12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

UTA,

Kayaking and rowing need to be at Anahuac. Team that arrives back at shore intact and with the most uneaten oars wins.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Just read that the Olympics cost Tokyo $16.5 billion.

• WTF? WTF? x 2
  14. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

China is winning the Olympics by 2 points. They have 38 Gold Medals to our 36.
    :(

15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Welcome back. You have been missed

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

BIS has been working on his focusness this off season.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Count the golds of the US, Japan, UK, Australia, etc vs China. That’s the game that counts in this century.

18. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

China wins everything else. Why not the olympics, too?

19. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

My man! Welcome back!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

Viewing for the Olympics is down 40 plus % , are you woke?

21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

As for the 60%, you can only watch Jack Reacher or John Wick so many times.

• Like Like x 1
  22. 2003TexasGrad

The medals were made in China, right?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Amazingly, the US came back and edged China by 1 gold and 25 overall. Quite and amazing comeback as I believe the US was down by about 10 golds at one point. Thank you women's VB team. And thanks to a British female boxer that punched in the Chinese boxer's face.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  25. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I was crushing on one Brazilian player. Loved watching the men’s and women’s volleyball. Our girls were studs.

26. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I can certainly agree with you on that. Drews and Larson were incredible, as well as W-O on defense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  27. horninchicago

What is "The Olympics"?

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

A money grab to help executives at NBC justify their existence at the expense of a bunch of incredibly stupid corporate marketing executives.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. horninchicago

Whatever it is, I don't watch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I must have seen 1000 ads for HIV drugs.