Olympics

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by mchammer, Jul 23, 2021.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The British diver was asked by NBC in his post-medal interview how much his husband’s support meant to him. I don’t recall similar questions of straight athletes.

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  3. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

So what? We plebes who don't watch just don't understand the big picture of the woeness. In short, screw them and the olympics.

4. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Eff the olympics. :yes:

5. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

The Olympics is something I record, and FF through 90% of the crap, or have something else recorded so I can hit the prev channel button whenever the network enters commercial, woke or let’s show transvestite weightlifter mode. NBC gets very little of my viewing and I didn't watch 2 seconds of women's soccer.

I can certainly understand how you all feel, but there were also a lot of hero’s. What about the shooting gold medalists, who are probably more conservative than most of us? UT athletes Crouser, Atkins, Durant, Obagu? Other hero’s such as Sydney McLaughlin, Caleb Dressel, Katie Ledecky, Bobby Finke, Athing, Allison Felix. And watching Molly Seidel in the marathon was probably the most incredible moment of the Olympics. Just when you think there must be hundreds of Africans that can run circles around any American woman in the Marathon, she pulls away from everyone in the field except 2 Kenyans winning the bronze.

The truly amazing who overcame incredible odds to become Olympic champions get their stories told too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

If this is to be believed, it seems the Americans have figured out how to profit off all Olympics host in the USA. (Lake Placid data incomplete.)

Cost of the Olympic Games - Wikipedia

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sure they did. Eliminate an expense or two here and there, like cost of security laid off on the city, county & state. The local support groups have "magical pencils" with huge erasers. Atlanta lost their ***.

Creative accounting is a wonderful thing and the public laps it up, with most expenses being delegated to corporate entities like hospitals absorbing overtime, over staffing, etc.

Houston will continue to bid in an effort to make politicians feel they have done something good for the city, then they have an entire staff to keep the real numbers out of the public eye.

"Figures don't lie, but liars do figure" - some brilliant person

8. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Creative accounting is a government thing.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

USA still came out on top in Golds and total medals. Kudos to all the USA athletes that managed to persevere all the COVID19 challenges and the 1yr delay in competition.

Especially enjoyed that women's volleyball. Floored that was their first Gold medal but those ladies earned it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

You are not a woke capitalist! Have you not been paying attention to all of the billionaires paying less taxes than you and me?

11. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

I seriously doubt you are paying more tax than a billionaire. What you likely meant to say is that you pay a higher overall tax rate than a billionaire. But I'll excuse you because of sooner math.

12. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Secret tax data confirms Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, other billionaires pay little or no income tax, ProPublica reports

Soros! Come on, this is the bipartisan prince that was promised.

13. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

is break dancing actually going to be an Olympic event in 2024?

I can drop a pumpkin seed on my stomach from my mouth and using nothing but my stomach muscles heave it over three feet. That should be an Olympic event

How about falling off a horse into prickly pear and the winner is whoever gets the most thorns pulled out in five minutes. Tweezer category and non-tweezer as well.

Why do people keep watching this stupid zhit? Why does any sane person care who can run a 100 faster than anybody else in the world? Or which 200 pound man or woman can beat the krap out of some other 200 pounder? Such an exemplary achievement.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

I'm sure the slanted newspaper got their facts straight and didn't omit anything. :rolleyes1:I'll give you that there are years where some billionaires pay no income tax directly. But what is the reason for this? Did they break the law? You think maybe they had personal investments, losses, and charitable giving that more than offset their income? Do you think Amazon might have been expanding during some of the years Bozos paid no income tax? Should the government tax your income when you forgo income to reinvest in your company? That will be great for our economy for sure.

I believe that Musk probably pays very little income tax because many of his businesses haven't made real money yet. He is not starving, but he is making a lot of investments in his companies. And we are all better off for it.

So if the system is rigged for the billionaires, why don't they pay zero tax every year? Did their accountants screw up on those years? Did you pay more tax than Jeff Bozos in 2012 - 2020? I doubt it.

15. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If synchronized swimming is, I don't see why break dancing can't be.

Back when SNL was funny . . .

Ok, that is pretty friggin cool. That SHOULD be an Olympic event.

16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I always wanted to see a synchronized swimming team made up of the East German women, particularly the weight lifters & shot & discuss throwers.

17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Musk and Bezos have mostly run their businesses to date as non-profits, which means any profit is plowed back into the business as expenses or investment. I don’t understand why this is hard to understand. If NGO’s and churches can operate as non-profits, why not certain investment entities? The profit is made (and the taxes paid) when the business is sold.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

MC,

Quit trying to scramble their simple minds, which seemed to be fueled by "if it's on the TV news it must be true".

Next thing I know you'll be throwing out insurance companies, fronting companies, things that are done everyday by entities in their hometown, but too complicated, and the psych wards at local hospitals (all of which do this) will be overrun.

It will kill them to know the number of people I know who have ZERO income in the US, but live very well. Recent phenomenon? Hardly, I know two wealthy men (both now deceased) neither of whom had any US income from WWII until the time of their death.

It's in the IRS code in black and white; it's legal; read it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

20. Hideo Gump Jr.

Hideo Gump Jr. Summer Soldier and Sunshine Patriot

Did Eric Liddell compete in the hundred?

21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Daily. It would be, however, difficult to ascertain when they are lying because they want to and when it is out of ignorance. Those morons could not analyze a five line P&L.

22. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I have to add Part II to this due to my drive home from work today. I actually rarely listen to conservative talk radio, but when when The Eagles stopped and commercial time came on I pushed buttons until there were no commercials and there I was.

And the Olympics was the topic. The speaker said, just as here, a whole lot of people were completely turned off to the Olympics due to the desire to make it about sexual choices and other crap, but that would have been a mistake. There were actually a number of great stories about great people. They mentioned the stories of Sydney McLaughlin, Athing and then Tamyra MS. How can you not be proud of this:

"It feels amazing," she said. "I love representing the U.S. I freaking love living there, I love it, and I'm so happy I get to represent U-S-A!"
    Tamyra Mensah-Stock is first Black woman to win wrestling gold for U.S. (msn.com)

And then they started talking about Allison Felix and the story I knew nothing about. She was having complications in her pregnancy and Nike told her to either get an abortion or lose her endorsements. Of course abortion was never going to be an option for Allison even if it meant her own life was in danger. It most certainly cost her a whole lot of $, but we do know the rest of the story. Allison is certainly proud to represent the US and I'm proud she does.

• Like Like x 4
  23. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Piss off Nike.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I wonder if Nike would tell Kapernick's gf to get an abortion or he loses endorsement $$$.

Naaaah, I don't have to wonder about that at all.

25. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

This is much like everything else going on today. The media is the filter we have to thank for this BS. They make editorial choices every minute of the day to sell their views. it is a time tested strategy. repeat the message over and over and over and eventually it drowns out other opinions and views. Olympics coverage has been no exception. There are probably lots of true Americans who are whole heartedly proud to be representing us and don't support the woke campaign, but they are de-emphasized and if they dare to say a conservative point, they then become the target of ... "you made a sexist joke when you where 16 yrs old on your twitter feed. You are the devil." and MSM piles on until there are no sponsorships/endorsements in their future.

• Agree Agree x 2