On this day .....

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by Joe Fan, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Hideo Gump Jr.

Hideo Gump Jr. Summer Soldier and Sunshine Patriot

Agree.
    However, whether one would have preferred being in Hiroshima August 6 (uranium) or Tokyo March 9 (incendiary) is a tossup.
    You’d be just as dead either way.

2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Thankfully, an awful but necessary step 1 of 2 that ended the war with Japan!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Let's ask Allied POW's about horror.

20 Horrific Details about Japanese POW Camps During World War II (historycollection.com)

• Like Like x 4
  4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Run,

My first job after graduation I had the opportunity to work on several occasions with a man named Glen Fletcher, who was about 5'6"/135 and a survivor of the Bataan Death March. For his capture and years as a POW a grateful nation added $25/month to his pension. Even when we went to a Mexican restaurant, NO RICE at the table. Every time we passed a Toyota or Nissan, he cussed like a sailor. Glen was a good man, but never forgot how he and his buddies were treated, nor the fact than some didn't come home.

• Like Like x 4
  5. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I believe being at ground zero in an atomic blast would be a quicker death than being firebombed and burning to death which might take longer than a quick boom and nearly instantaneous death from an atomic weapon.

6. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Radiation sickness vs lingering and uncertain recovery from burns? The devil would like presenting that choice.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Sabre & Run,

My Principle in Jr. High was Mark Summers. He and his brother were part of the Lost Battalion - Texas 36 Infantry - Texas Natl. Guard. About 500 of them were captured by the Japs in 1942 and sent to work on the Burma - Thailand Railway.

Many died but he and his brother somehow survived. I think Mr. Summers was originally from Wichita Falls. When I was student in Jr. High, Summers was a towering 6-4 and 220 lbs. However, I'm sure he was a walking skeleton during his imprisonment.

Of course, Summers never brought it up or expected any attention for it what he experienced.... but many of us heard rumors. My Dad learned about him while I was still in Jr. High and factually told me about what he and other prisoner endured. I gained so much respect and empathy for the man.

Approx 25 years ago, sometime before he died, the DMN had an article about the Texas Lost Battalion and featured photos and quotes from Mark and his brother. Very interesting how they survived. I think I saved the article but it is buried in some box.

Greatest Generation! :usflag:

Lost Battalion (Pacific, World War II) - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  8. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

On the day . . .
    August 14, 1945

In what later became known as Victory Day, an official announcement of Japan's unconditional surrender to the Allies is made public to the world on August 14, 1945. Japan formally surrendered in writing two weeks later, on September 2, 1945.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  9. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

The landmark jazz album, "Kind of Blue" from Miles Davis was released on this day in 1959.

10. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

mtv.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I loved MTV. I had on almost every night back in the 80's. In it's own way, it had the same global impact as the internet and smart phones.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

YES!! I blame The Real World reality show for downfall of good TV shows just like I blame the internet and smart phones (via social media) for the downfall of society in general.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1