On this day .....

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by Joe Fan, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

July 3rd 1863, Gettysburg, PA. Final day of the battle ends with what is known as Picket's Charge. Approximately 15,000 Confederate soldiers march under fire, over a mile across open fields to assault Fortified Union positions. Although the Confederates reach and in places breach the Union line, heavy losses and Union reserves repel the attack. The South's losses were about 7,500 in that single action. It would be the final invasion of the North and spelled doom for the South even though the war would continue another 2 years.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Speaking of Earhart .... a newly re-discovered foto suggests that she may have died while in the hands of the evil Japanese

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

On July 5, 1946, French designer Louis Reard unveils a daring two-piece swimsuit at the Piscine Molitor, a popular swimming pool in Paris. Parisian showgirl Micheline Bernardini modeled the new fashion, which Reard dubbed “bikini,” inspired by a news-making U.S. atomic test that took place off the Bikini Atoll in the Pacific Ocean earlier that week.

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

70 years ago today

[​IMG]

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

On this day, July 14, in 1789, French revolutionaries stormed the Bastille, a fortress, state prison in Paris and a symbol of oppression by the monarchy, and signalled the start of the French Revolution.

An angry and aggressive Revolutionary French mob decided to target the feared Bastille prison, which was a symbol of abuses by the monarchy, not because they wanted to free the prisoners there, (there were about 7 prisoners there at the time) but because it housed gunpowder (about 15 tons) that the French citizens militia were in desperate need of.

The storming of the Bastille marks a turning point in the French revolution, it went from being a popular movement to an armed uprising that would eventually remove the French king, abolish the monarchy in France, and replace it with a secular dictatorship.

Historians believe that 170,000 - 200,000 who opposed the revolution were murdered by the revolutionary forces.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

July 18, 1992

The first picture posted on the internet was taken on July 18, 1992, by Silvano de Gennaro, an IT developer at Cern and was posted by his then colleague, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the British computer scientist who created the World Wide Web.

The "promotional" shot, taken at the Hardronic Music Festival – an annual “rock festival” held at a music club within the Geneva-based laboratory – shows the group posing in 1950s style costumes just before they walked out on stage.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

On this day in 1969, Apollo 11 on the moon

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

July 20, 1944
    Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg, chief of the army reserve, had been given the task of planting a bomb during a conference, to kill Hitler in a coup to take control of the country. Hitler survived the blast but four others present died from their wounds. The plot was crushed that same day and Col. Stauffenberg and Gen. Olbricht were shot that same day. More than 7,000 Germans would be arrested (including evangelical pastor Dietrich Bonhoeffer), and up to 5,000 would wind up dead—either executed or as suicides. The war would continue another nine and a half months.

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

10 years ago today -- Cramer yelled at Bernanke

He also said to buy Bear Stearns -- Stearns later spiraled out out control becoming practically insolvent in about 72 hours. Was Cramer right about one and wrong about the other, or right about both? Wrong about both?

[​IMG]

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

On this day in 1981, President Reagan fired 11,345 air traffic controllers who had gone on strike and refused to return to work.

[​IMG]

17. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

August 6, 1945

The first atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, destroying most of the city central.

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Aug 10, 1969

[​IMG]

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Revolutionary War ended with signing of Treaty of Paris today in 1783

[​IMG]

24. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

On this day Walter Becker of Steely Dan passed away... Following is a poem I've written in his memory which is considerable in my life as I am 59 and remember Steely Dan very well...

Falling Tiles

I wake up in confusion
    Looking around at the present
    Having survived the past
    Panic in the streets
    And judgment of the innocent

I can't stand losing again
    Not of my own glory
    But of the friends I know
    Falling tiles from my roof
    How they shatter our story

Take my hand if you feel it too
    We will smile for as long as we can take it
    I wonder if anyone will remember
    The children play in the park
    Never knowing I once owned it

Where is my purpose
    I spent so much time laughing
    Maybe that's all it was
    A life of raising a glass with friends
    And remembering in their time of passing

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

September 3, 1939, Britain and France declare war on Germany

[​IMG]

26. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Sounds like Britain's navy was going to make quick work of that situation.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

September 11, 1683 -- Poland led the Holy League army to defeat the Turks at Vienna and drive them from Europe

After victory, King Sobieski said: "Veni, vidi, Deus vicit"

[​IMG]

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts