One day in Los Angeles

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by 1990txgirl, Mar 5, 2008.

1. 1990txgirl

1990txgirl 250+ Posts

We finally have a plan for our Central Coast vacation! We're flying into LAX on a Saturday, arriving at 8:30 in the morning. We'll have the whole day and stay over one night; we will have a car.

I've only been there once for a convention (didn't see much except the hotel and the Staples Center) and my husband has never been.

So Hornfans, how should we spend our day? Where to shop/dine? Spend the whole day in Santa Monica? Would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations. Thanks!

2. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

Kind of a tough question, as there are so many things to do in LA. I think Santa Monica is nice, and you could easily spend a day there walking around. I kinda prefer Venice (not Venice Beach) - go check out the canals and do some shopping/eating on Abbott Kinney.

What do you like to eat? There are obviously some great restaurants in LA, and if you can tell me a little more about what you'd like to try I can give you some recommendations. I think my favorite burger in the world is at Father's Office in Santa Monica. Spanish-style burger, served with amazing sweet potato fries, and a really good beer selection on-tap.

Sushi is always good in CA too, though I much prefer hole-in-the-wall places over a bourgey, trendy spot like Koi (which I think is a bit overrated). Mario Batali and Nancy Silverton have opened a new spot in Central LA called Mozza (@ Melrose & Highland) and it is really, really good. They've got a pizzeria and a more upscale Osteria. I'd recommend reservations for either. The pizzeria is still a little pricey and definitely gourmet, but the osteria is amazing (and definitely expensive).

I like to shop on Melrose, between LaBrea and Fairfax. Cool stores, though it's kinda young, but not very pretentious. Again, what would you like to be shopping for?

Lots of facets to this city. Give us a little more info on what you might like to eat, do, shop for and we can give some more specific rec's.

Enjoy. LA has a bad rap but I think it's one of the best cities in the country, hands-down.

3. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

The Getty is pretty cool.

4. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

DHH knows his LA. It really depends on what kind of shopping/tax bracket you are in as to where you should go.

AND, you really should look to do 2 things. LA is not a city where you can plan 4 things in a day and enjoy the day doing them. Even if you know the city. You usually have to look at what you want to do and then cut out 1 or 2 activities.

Like:
    -LACMA + Melrose Ave (b/n La Brea & Fairfax or La Cienega... depending)
    -Griffith Observatory + Melrose Av
    -Melrose + Beverly + 3rd Street (SHOPPING on 3 streets in one area)
    -LACMA + The Farmer's Market/Grove (eats & shopping)
    -The Getty + Rodeo Dr.
    -The Getty + Abbott-Kinney (Venice)/ Main Street (Santa Monica)
    -Santa Monica (3rd Street Promenade/ The Pier/ The park)
    -Venice Beach/ The Canals/ Abbott-Kinney
    -The Getty Villa/ Malibu

5. LAktownhorn

LAktownhorn 250+ Posts

if you happen to be korean... ktown is fun.

6. HornMafia

HornMafia 100+ Posts

Brunch in Malibu...go shopping on Robertson and eat a late lunch at The Ivy (if you want to see celebs)...and then go to Sunset for dinner and eat at Katana (Kobe beef skewers), have a drink at the Saddle Ranch (tell Sam the bartender he's evil), ride the bull and then go across the street to the Standard and have a nightcap.

7. 1990txgirl

1990txgirl 250+ Posts

DHH--we know of the burger at Father's Office and that alone may steer us towards Santa Monica! (Do you watch "After Hours with Daniel" on Mojo network? The past season was in LA and they showcased both Father's Office and Pizzeria Mozza.)

We like Italian, French/California-French, New American, Asian fusion. For example, we love Gary Danko and Slanted Door in San Francisco if you're familiar with those restaurants. So maybe a "famous" restaurant that's a must-dine, but isn't impossible to get reservations at as long as you call 4-6 weeks in advance. ( We're probably not interested in something like Spago.)

For shopping, we'd be interested in local boutiques. But we're old (39-40) so nothing too trendy. [​IMG]

Napoleon, I like your one-day itineraries. I'll have to research those more.

Thanks everyone, for all the suggestions so far!

8. 1990txgirl

1990txgirl 250+ Posts

Oh, I forgot to ask--also looking for a boutique hotel preferably under $250/night. Thanks.

9. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

For an amazing dining experience, check out Ortolan. It's French cuisine and very, very good (1 star Michelin-rated). I don't think reservations should be a problem.

Funny that that show featured both the places I mentioned. Maybe I should start watching!

For a boutique hotel, check out LeMontrose. I've never stayed there, but I've heard it's awesome. Also in W. Hollywood, so you'll be close to Santa Monica/the West side and right in the middle of a lot of stuff you're looking to do (i.e. shopping).

Maybe someone else can chime in about boutique shopping. Not really my forte. [​IMG]

Enjoy your stay. And yes, grab yourselves a FO burger.

10. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

11. CalHornGal

CalHornGal 25+ Posts

12. HornMafia

HornMafia 100+ Posts

I've stayed at Le Montrose...it's great. Very small and quiet but close to everything.

13. KingBobo81

KingBobo81 250+ Posts

14. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

15. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

16. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

Is it ever a bad time to go out to Pasadena and see the building that Texas owns? I mean, you can shop in any city.

[​IMG]

17. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

Stay at the Sunset Marquis.

Grab an In N Out burger.

18. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

If you take Macanudo's suggestion and head out to Pasadena to check out the "House That Vince Built" (a.k.a. the Rose Bowl), there is another house that you should check out close by. It's The Gamble House.

[​IMG]

The Gamble House is located in the 300 block of N. Orange Grove Boulevard, three blocks north of Colorado Boulevard (the street made famous by the Rose Parade).

It was Doc Brown's house in the "Back To The Future" movies and it is absolutely amazing. Made from around 15 to 17 different kinds of wood, it doesn't need art on the walls, because the whole house is a work of art.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You won't find any nails on this wood railing, just amazing wood work. The house was built for Mr. Gamble of "Proctor & Gamble" 100 hundred years ago this year.

Here's the link: The Link

19. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts