Online petition against Casey Horny hire

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Driver 8, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Petition on Change.org. Casey Horny is an Art Briles Apologist & Doesn't Belong at Texas

I don't know what his pro-Briles tweets said, think they have all been deleted by now. Anyone have an archive of those? Herman may want to back out of this quickly and move on, potential backlash could be nasty

The petition claim:

Texas Football Coach Tom Herman has decided to hire a former coworker, Casey Horny, as a Quality Control Analyst for Special Teams for the University of Texas Longhorns football team.

That may seem innocuous, but for the fact that Casey Horny is a former employee under Art Briles at Baylor University. He has a Twitter history of seemingly apologizing for, and obfuscating facts around, the rape cover-up scandal at Baylor University that led to the summary firing of Briles, as well as the Baylor AD and the reassignment of the Baylor school president, Kenneth Starr. This scandal has been covered nationally by news outlets including ESPN. Briles and crew denied any existence of a rape problem with his players while repeatedly doing work with his staff and the administration to keep accusations suppressed and the players eligible.

Hiring this guy is tantamount to approval of the wretched behaviors exhibited at Baylor and overtly supported by Horny. Tom Herman seems to be dismissive of this premise. The Texas administration, by allowing this hire, appears tone deaf. The value of supporting women's rights to their own body, frankly, should never be in question for any organization, and Texas and Tom Herman need to be reminded of this by those who support the program under the condition that integrity, respect, dignity and honesty are upheld for all.

2. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Overreact much.

Unless something actually ties this nobody to anything, Herman should ignore this. It will all be forgotten by signing day if not next week. When Horny leaves UT for his next job, no one will pay attention or remember.

You would think Herman hired Joe Mixon as a life coach based on these overreactions.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I don't believe in this kind of thing.

Tom Herman knows this person and made the judgment call.
    In the end, if he turns out to be scum, then the buck stops with TH.

If we're going to force our head coach to hire (or not hire) people, then we're not getting a head coach at all . Its like giving the guy a vote of no confidence. Might as well petition to remove TH, if you ask me.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

It may be an overreaction but if he put some stuff on Twitter trying to downplay the situation then that could be problematic

• Like Like x 2
  5. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

As stated in other threads, Sterlin Gilbert, who actually coached players and had a prominent job being one of the top 3 leaders of the football team as a coordinator, said he felt Briles had "high character." Did it matter at all?

How old were his tweets? Do we even know if this guy even still feels that way? What if he never was involved in anything (since his job was to review film), so he did not believe the stories when he first read the reports, maybe found out more later and thought "I was mistaken" and changed his mind, deleted his tweets, but does not really know what all happened and does not want to publicly bash his former employer (or cannot because of a contract with Baylor)?

^ I have no idea what all happened or any idea if any of that is remotely the case. Im just going on innocent before proven guilty, and so far our new film review staffer is only guilty of stupid tweets he has since taken down and is obviously not willing to stand by anymore.

Mountains out of molehills unless something more surfaces.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  6. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

It would be nice to hear Tom Herman stand by his choice, though.
    There is enough uproar from the fanbase to warrant an explanation. I am sure with a few words TH could calm people's fears.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I agree with this. This guy is way way way too low level to put in a press conference, but he is Herman's hire so Herman could at least make a small statement. I do not expect Herman to answer 50 questions on it (because the media is looking to stir it up and will have stupid questions and will read too much into answers), but he could certainly make statement.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

This is the worst ******* post, worst ******* thread, and sorriest ******** ever put on the internet.

Like them or not, NO FAN, NO ADMINISTRATOR should ever be able to dictate who the head coach hires, although at times I would like to have.

Dion, please shut this pollution down.

• Like Like x 2
  9. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

He was tweeting support for Briles as early as last November.

10. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Not even close.
    We don’t have to support the petition and nobody is dictating anything. Apparently some people feel strongly about the implications of this hire, so they did this. Is it not a legitimate topic of conversation here?

• Like Like x 2
  11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Dion,

If you want to leave it, do so and delete my post.

12. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Tells me all I need to know.

Moving on...

13. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

Haha, well, I know that isn't true, but I totally get your point. It's crazy sauce.

Htown77 gets it right. Who knows what and where and when Horny was in his mind about Briles? I mean, it's pretty normal to support your team and coach and it's pretty normal to feel aggrieved when people with little understanding of what happened start posting or creating 'news' which they really created to further their own gains. The news media is a for profit business and many of them are bent on bringing clicks and eyeballs to their sites and shows with no regard for the truth. It's really reckless and inhuman because it creates needless negativity for many people.

We all agree that what happened at Baylor is abhorrent. That said, I am positive TH is satisfied that Horny was not involved in any way and that his tweets weren't posted with the intent to cover up, condone, or or obfuscate anything that happened there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

If the OP quotes the petition correctly, it is idiotic.

If this is the Onion or whatever and someone is making fun of how idiotic a fan or fanbase could be by using exaggeration, then the joke is on me.

15. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Everyone can remove their own posts if they want. There is a Delete button below the post.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

I could advocate either side here but choose not to do either. I will sip on my beer and go on to the next thread.

Keep posting, keep giving opinions. That's why I come back daily. :hookem:

17. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

well that's not true

• Like Like x 1
  18. hornsfan1026

hornsfan1026 25+ Posts

This is TH's decision to make. He is the HC and runs the football program. It is his final decision to hire who he wants.

If I have to choose between a known, proven professional HC at a major football school
    or a bunch of tweet-reading unknown fans, I'll side with the coach. It's his job and reputation that's on the line and I say leave him alone.

He's already told you he doesn't pay any attention to tweeters, so you guys are wasting your time and bandwidth.

Hook you

• Like Like x 2
  19. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

^^^^THIS. I do find some sick humor in the guy's last name and that he was part of the program at Baylor. Not like TH was hiring Art.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

This is some funny shiet! And why do I have this feeling that nobody that matters could care less about this?

21. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

It seems that the UT administration has blocked hires of coaches who have had "show cause" actions against them (Clint Hurtt?). I'm sure the administration would block the hiring of Art Briles even though he has not been convicted of any wrong doing or sanctioned by the NCAA to this point. Because of that, I would assume that the employee in question has been sufficiently vetted and passed muster.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Txreds

Txreds 250+ Posts

So now we have told Tom Herman we don't like your OC or this analyst. He has to be amazed at the amount of crap our fanbase can come up with. Stuff like this makes Herbstreet look right about us.

• Like Like x 2
  23. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Yep, just a teaser to Tom on what it's like to be a head coach at UT.
    Second place gets a set of steak knives. Third place is , your fiyad.

24. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

Horny did not have to be directly involved with the mess at Baylor to make this an unwise hire. In tweeting his support of Art Briles, he in effect "chose sides". Most people not wearing Baylor colors would say he made the wrong choice. Horny deleted the tweets, but has made no statements that he might have been wrong to post them in the first place. Whether Tom Herman thinks it should or not, this hire puts some of the stink of the Baylor situation on Texas. I won't be signing any petitions, but I think Herman should address the concerns publicly.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

No, it does not. Unlese the "stink" was already there from Sterlin Gilbert?

We also took a penn state transfer punter that probably said something nice about Joe Pa at some point. I guess the stink of Sanduksy raping children is on Texas?

We have thousands of students and employees, at all levels, that have probably tweeted, posted or said something dumb, misguided, unpopular, wrong, etc. I guess the stink from all of thousands of misguided opinions is on UT?

No, the University of Texas did not support some Baylor college football players allegedly sexually assaulting women because an employee, who probably was not involved in anything, tweeted defenses of his employer he has since deleted.

There are a lot of penn state coaches, players and staffers who probably never had a clue about what Sandusky was doing and have since defended Joe Pa. Their opinions are wrong, dumb and misguided, but they do not put a stink on wherever they work now.

Maybe UT should fire anyone that tweets they like Michael Jackson music due to the allegations against him? Or anyone that tweets they do not believe those allegations.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  26. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I'm more and more ok with herbie's comments about our culture.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

28. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Sterlin Gilbert wasn't even at Baylor and was basing his comments on what he knew of Briles back in 2005. Not very comparable.

• Like Like x 1
  29. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

30. UT73

UT73 < 25 Posts

Pointless thread.

• Like Like x 1