“Opting” out of the system

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Sooner in Korea, Apr 12, 2010.

1. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

A friend in England moved with her whole family to Spain. And you're right - there are many doing this. There are retirees from the US that are moving to other countries where their retirement income will go farther.

2. Hornius Emeritus

Hornius Emeritus 2,500+ Posts

3. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

The gvt we have now SUCKS on both sides of the aisle and it's time for a new one. [​IMG]

4. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

5. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

The ability of the government to tax is a convenient way for that government to build itself up as a self-serving industry. A large chunk of the taxed revenue goes to paying for that taxing-governing industry -- even if it did not spend a dime on anything outside itself and gave no service at all.Federal Jobs Net

6. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

that doesn't seem like a bad idea to me hu. you paid for 35 years. whatever that line in the sand is, it is calculable, and seems fair to me.

you should still have to pay property taxes though.

7. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

8. overmaars

overmaars 1,000+ Posts

Only option is to go off the grid completely. Which means you can't even buy a $300 per acre piece of desert in Brewster County because you'll pay annual property tax. You could move to Mexico. Buy a couple hectares for cheap, and a one time predial for 0.01%, which is nothing. Put an air stream on it. Farm rain water, buy a solar panel, grow vegetables, trap or hunt your meat, read lots of books. Sounds exciting doesn't it? Of course, be prepared for someone to come looking for your *** eventually. Maybe a drug lord who thinks you own him rent for squatting in his territory...there really is no escaping.

9. jmrob93

jmrob93 Guest

I don't suppose you have ever been to the country-- everything is cash or barter-- and nobody makes any money [​IMG]

10. SDhorn

SDhorn 250+ Posts

11. DFWAg

DFWAg 1,000+ Posts

Following up on one of ths original points, which was a skepticism of anyone opting out. I saw this old NY Times piece and thought it was an interesting datapoint.

12. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

13. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest