Opting Out

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by stevedallas, Dec 12, 2020.

1. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Too bad, can't be shed of him soon enough.

• poop poop x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Yay! One less malignant tumor with which to deal.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  3. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

The NFL is full of "woke" individuals.
    As long as he shows speed, can run a route and catch a ball he will do just fine.
    Hell, LJH has spent years on the practice squad and still sneaks into a game here and there.
    Now, Eagles ego may not allow for that kind of humility, but he can make more than most for a few years.

4. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

5. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Don’t get the portalling just because we recruited someone in same position. Shows to me an arrogance or no self confidence. I mean why would anyone think we would not recruit more than one per position? Doesn’t make good sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Also back - Kerstetter, Bimage

• Like Like x 3
  7. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Hadn’t heard Kerstetter. Is that official?

8. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Yea, I guess not official.
    Saw it here but says "potential".
    Just had surgery so he should IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I'm not sure what is going on in this post....
    A great player and individual as best as I can tell in Overshown says he is staying and you are ragging on it?
    Some of you guys have gone too far...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  10. RainH2burntO

Think Eagles (and Chris Brown) like many at Texas in last few years, is leaving too early for own good. These guys don't understand the higher you are drafted the more secure your spot and the more patience and margin of error given you due to the greater investment.
    Real disappointed to see Alford not work out here and leave. Had real high hopes for him.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Did he stay for the post game tradition? Maybe that is what he is referencing. My understanding is Texas has one true team member and Longhorn, Sam Ehlinger.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. RainH2burntO

I feel you, but, for me....the cutoff is different. There are a few guys we had that were more of a "cancer" if you will if you are judging by the woke stuff and devotion etc and then I think there are some who are just misguided or naive or caught up in the moment and deserve some grace and let's see what's next as we turn the page. I put DMO on that later category.
    Just MHO

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. horninchicago

Gotcha. And, I'm not saying he's a bad guy. Just hypothesizing what the comment above was for from OrangeShogun. You know how I feel about the guys not staying for The Eyes. I don't know if you put me in the group of guys who have gone too far, but if so, that's cool because I respect your postings. :beertoast:

• Like Like x 1
  14. RainH2burntO

Thanks, HIC. I got you.
    And it's all good w me
    The only category or group I have you in is Friend.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Well said. And very true.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

That brings them down to 6 QB's counting the portalled in's.

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

A running list shows the Universe is being unfair to us, again

We lose to dreams of the NFL

Sam Cosmi
    Joseph Ossai
    Brennan Eagles
    Caden Sterns
    Chris Brown
    TaQuon Graham

We lose to the Portal
    Xavion Alford
    Ja’Quinden Jackson
    Daniel Carson

We get back
    Tope Imade
    Brenden Schooler
    Denzel Okafor
    Cade Brewer
    Jacoby Jones
    DeMarvion Overshown
    D’Shawn Jamison
    Josh Thompson

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  19. horninchicago

I would argue the actions of the head coach and players makes this fair.

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

My perspective is that what is fair and what we deserve are related but still different things

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

22. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

I would have hoped LJ Humphrey was a good lesson for Longhorns on this point. Guy tore up the Big 12 but only for 1 year. Another year of being the man (especially without CJ) likely would have vaulted him to first team Big 12 and some more attention from scouts. Attention often means money.

He has the talent to do some things in the NFL as we saw from him TD this weekend. But he spent a year and a half on the practice squad before that. If he had stayed and gotten some more attention he might have been drafted and gotten some $.

23. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Overshown publicly refused to practice unless/until the woke demands were met to his satisfaction. If that doesn’t fall into your “cancer” definition, I guess we just disagree.

• Like Like x 1
  24. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

It all depends on the players life situation.
    Are they married (or not) with children?
    Are their parents hurting financially?
    I don't know but I'm going to assume even a practice squad player makes six figures.
    I know a player that makes a roster, even if he never sees the field, makes much more than the typical college graduate.
    I don't know what's going on in any of these players lives.
    I can't begrudge them for any decision they make as far as leaving early goes.
    They may be well aware that if they succeed it will be by taking the hard road and are willing to take that chance.

25. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

And the butt-hurtness rolls on.

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

IMO Overshown made the right call for himself, he can really help his NFL positioning
    But personally I really didnt care what he decided. And I admit I am kind of glad to see Eagles leave

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  27. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

As does the mollycoddling from the woke apologists.

• Like Like x 1
  28. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Sterns seemed to be the ring-leader in wokeness. Eagles had "team first" issues last year (reminds me of Terrell Owens/Dez Bryant/etc/etc). Maybe Overshown will just shut up and dribble, er, play football without the "main complainer" being gone? He is a terrific athlete and we need him on the field. Maybe covid won't be so prevalent this next fall and teams will be more able to focus on the thing they're mostly here to do?

• Like Like x 1
  29. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Based on Overshown’s tweet, it appeared there was some (social) pressure for him to leave (portal, NFL, whatever), but he said he worked too hard to give up on his dream. Maybe he saw the light and realized mixing politics and your career doesn’t feed the family.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

Until he took a sack on his last drive and last game at DKR. Smh