Opting Out

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by stevedallas, Dec 12, 2020.

1. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

No....Shogun. I was thinking there was something that I couldn't recall that surprised and bothered me about him. Thanks for bringing it up. I wholeheartedly disagree with what he said there.
    I guess I have it in mind that there were a few main instigators and some of these younger guys will show another side of themselves next year. I'm all about grace...but truth has to me there, too, and you are correct I believe what he said there is wrong. I still support and want to see 85% of these guys here next year.

2. RainH2burntO

Yep....I see Sterns and Eagles as the two main problem children. Who knows??

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. RainH2burntO

And I hope you won't put me in that ^^^^category. If you follow or know me at all...I do not believe I have been in that camp at all throughout this. There were serious issues this year fans have every right to take issue with...and I have.
    I just think at some point we need to see if we can move forward, make sure we aren't making things even worse for our school and program....and be aware and prepared...but also supportive and hopeful moving forward for anyone who wants to be here and be committed to UT and the program.
    I have read your posts in the past and agree with a great deal of your position....we may just differ on sentiment a bit.
    :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

There is a difference in being engaged and pushing for change vs negotiating in bad faith. I said so from the beginning. These players got very bad advice and Herman was absent or a moron. Negotiating for a win-win is about leverage and not the kind about keeping the university hostage by not playing or participating in fundraising events. It’s about singing the eyes after the game and using it as leverage to make the campus more welcoming to Blacks. I mean this isn’t hard, but I have learned from experience. You have to check your ego at the door and fight for a win-win.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

Well said

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Rain, my response was in no way aimed at you. I have the utmost respect for you and your thoughtful responses.
    I too am a believer in grace. I am also a believer in personal responsibility. These young men had no qualms with openly expressing their negative opinions about UT, its traditions, culture and alumni. If they've had a change of heart, the first step in forgiveness and reconciliation is for them to admit to their mistake and issue an apology of sorts (this also applies to Herman). If that ever happens, I'll be the first one back on the band wagon.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

They are young people. Supposed to be learning something, maturing, finding out who they are, right?

If you accept this as a sort of universal truth, then it makes the positioning by our HC, AD and school president to defer to their demands pretty pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. RainH2burntO

Well I'll say this about that^^^^^
    One of the biggest problems we have at UT (and really everywhere these days) is the "adults" are quite immature themselves....and still learning things people once knew by the age of 12.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Yep. The main culprit here are the adults in the room. They needed to show some backbone. And they didn't...until the alums stepped in.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Agreed. It's a lack of backbone that's plaguing our society. IMO due to materialism.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

My take is that the ring leaders, yes Colin Sterns and Eagles, probably made it extremely difficult for other black players not to go along.

This is where leadership is needed but instead, Herman exhibited the same lack of maturity as his instigators, twenty plus years his junior. It was amazing to witness. For as long as I live I will not forget the Manifesto.

So while I am extremely unhappy with the antics of so many, I can only imagine the peer pressure in that locker room. “Either you’re 100% with us, or you’re 100% against us.” We saw that play out virtually every day in the summer.

Herman’s inability to navigate the situation and instead exacerbate it will likely be studied in the future as an extraordinary example of failed leadership. When it was needed the most, he performed the worst. (Sounds like a familiar pattern, doesn’t it?)

Sorry to say but CDC’s performance at the time was certainly not stellar either. That may taint “his” legacy when all is said and done.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. txhorn_et

txhorn_et 1,000+ Posts

If we don't get our way, we won't play. To heck with that. It's not like they played when they were on the field anyway. Time to change direction. Any players on the current roster that don't care to be part of the Texas Longhorns and all that entails, show them the door.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

Herman's coaching decisions or lack of time management has been the problem, not his political stance or his stance on social issues. I could care less what he said about the fans. He lost 3 games this year because he sucks at game time decision making. For example, should have went for 2 vs OU and they wouldn't be winning their 6th big12 title in a row. That's what sucks about Herman is his ability to snag defeat from the jaws of victory, not his inability to agree with the fans on social issues.

14. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Well, that settles it then.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

While everything you mentioned about his coaching failures are true, I believe the reason Herman is a dead man walking is, more than any other factor, his mismanagement of the social issue in the summer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

He definitely didn't help himself because it added more to an already "must-win" big 12 title year. Instead of being 31-18, if he was 35-15 or 34-16 with a big 12 title. Would y'all care about any of his political/social stances?!?!

17. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

Well, winning would settle it all. If Herman was better than 14-13 in one score games. Just a thought...

18. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Well, it would settle it for folks like you it sounds like, but not others. I loathe him. I couldn't;t care less if he went undefeated. Hell, I could barely type that with a straight face, the thought of that clown doing that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

I respectfully disagree. The boneheaded decisions on the field are directly related to the boneheaded decisions off the field. Just as it makes little sense to go for a fake punt against ISU, it's equally as bizarre to blame a school's football fans/alums for a nation's social problems.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If he had won a national championship, it would not erase the EMBARRASSMENT he caused The University. He is an arrogant immature cretin with a high IQ.

Let me reiterate, Tom Herman can NEVER do enough on the field to atone for his actions, particularly with the people who write the checks.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  21. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

Well, we loathe him for different reasons, so I get it. What is frustrating is the fact that we could easily be sitting undefeated going to the CFP.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

He may have an high IQ, but on 4th and 1, 4 years in & still doesn't have a QB sneak in his binder is beyond idiotic. I'm not convinced if he's a done because Texas could've hired Bryan Harsin

23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

We could not have hired Bryan Harsin. That wound in deep and will never heal. That's the same reason Chris Peterson refused to answer the phone a few years back.

24. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

What happened? I thought that Harsin's time as OC here was just a stepping stone to HC job, which he took Arkansas st job and then he went back to Boise...

25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

He was trying to get out three weeks into starting here. He & Peterson felt like he had been lied to, he wasn't allowed to do his job, he was just a shill Mack used to appease the restless. Did he want the job in Jonesboro? NO, but it was available NOW and would get him away from Mack Brown and Texas.

• Hot Hot x 1
  26. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

So Mack failed to discuss that Major would be OC too?? I forgot how him and Major had the CO-OC gig back then. It's kind of like, splitting time between 2 QBs, usually doesn't work. SMH

27. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

While SabreHorn has already said as much, nothing Herman could do on the field — no successes and no CFP Championships — could persuade me not to want him gone.

The man took my beloved school and its traditions — the passion of my life for more than 60 years — and pissed on them. He didn’t give a cr**.

So screw him and the horse he rode in on.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Sam Ehlinger said he is still undecided on whether he will use his extra year of eligibility or move on to the NFL

• Like Like x 1
  29. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Just a guess — and Sam would never admit as much — but I have to believe that deep down, he lacks respect for Herman. After all, Sam’s bond to his late father was to an extent through Texas football. We can all imagine how his dad would almost certainly have felt about what went down in the summer.

When Herman is terminated, it’ll be interesting to see what decision Sam makes, and how badly the new HC would like to have him available in September.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I am wondering if Herman is still around next year and Sam decides to play for us if he will give the backups a fair chance to beat him out for the starting job.